The one problem i have with this game

Is performance.

So much new stuff is getting added, and the game keeps getting more and more interesting. But as soon as you reach anywhere near close somewhere where the game actually starts to become really interesting, the game goes to **** - performance wise.

I've had now at least 10 colonies, that where all past 1000 cycles, that I've QUIT because of low frames. (5 frames in speed 1 aint no fun)

I'm unable to "fix" it by cleaning up, killing of critters and what not. and this bugs me HARD.

Please dear gods at Klei, please keep working at performance, and please do something drastic soon to improve performance, for the sake of the late game.

PLEASE.

They already did and still doing, they decrease the frame rate of item drops and mobs travel, now item will fly around until world is updated.

What they need right now is a better algorithm for dups and their job, a better algorithm for liquid flow.

It not just simple that algorithm can be come up and implement right away, that the hard part. Posting this here wont fasten their progress.

What you can do is, sweep all material around the world, gather all liquid to their right container, ranch less mobs, create closed area (for example, that all job in an area is done, close it, by not allow dups to travel there they dont have to calculate work at that place.), use less gas/liquid pump and always ready to reconstruct it for better frame rate.

@tranoze, That is a nice indirect way of  saying where the game needs optimization.

I've had the game crash from 7-8 logic gates + max zoom in, so here's a fun suggestion - try disabling all sounds! I'm not sure if it will work, but doesn't hurt to try.

P.S. I just tried disabling the sound and it still causes crash, so sound might not be the core of the problem(or disabling it might not be a viable way to fix it if it was) - the fast switching gates themselves are probably the main cause of slowdown. That means having less logic switches in general should improve performance. Note the difference between logic gates and fast switching:

• I can have 1 logic gate that switches itself constantly(NOT gate that connects input to output) - that causes ~ 10 logic switches per second.
  • I can also have 10 logic gates connected consecutively that propagate 1 logic change - that's 10 logic updates per second.

Now let's combine those ideas - 7 NOT logic gates, the first one looping its output back to its input. The result - The first one switches 10 times/second and the rest propagate that change, causing 10*7 = 70 logic switches/second. Note that this will probably crash your game, so don't do it! (it crashes mine)

image.png.216ec847043d5662e979a98479c0e92e.png

ONI runs best on a single core via turbo boost at 4-8 GHz on that single core. If the cpu has more than 10MB Level3 cache, that will help a lot. Pc without case, cpu delidded, 1kg aircooler, water or hydrogen cooling of the core. I7 or I9 cpus. I7 6700k 7700k 8700k or I9 series.

Archived