Evacuate Small Chlorine Caves

Friends!

Although I've been playing ONI for a long time, I still haven't figured out an elegant, low investment method of clearing out those pesky, small chlorine caves. I'm talking about getting the chlorine out of the cave, preferably pumping it into another chlorine cave WITHOUT it leaking out and getting to know my precious oxygen atmosphere. I realize that i could just build a system of pumps and Airlocks in front of the cave, then activate the pump and then drill into the cave, but that is highly annoying.

Any good tips?

5 minutes ago, PickyEater said:

Friends!

Although I've been playing ONI for a long time, I still haven't figured out an elegant, low investment method of clearing out those pesky, small chlorine caves. I'm talking about getting the chlorine out of the cave, preferably pumping it into another chlorine cave WITHOUT it leaking out and getting to know my precious oxygen atmosphere. I realize that i could just build a system of pumps and Airlocks in front of the cave, then activate the pump and then drill into the cave, but that is highly annoying.

Any good tips?

Waterlock? Easily keeps it inside and u can do whatever you want with it.
I don't care about leaking though, Just open them and let it free. Its gonna be on the bottom of the base anyway, so I can suck it out

36 minutes ago, PickyEater said:

Friends!

Any good tips?

Are you trying to move, or destroy, the Chlorine?

There are alternatives to a lot of the mechanics, but we need to understand the intent or it's a far too open ended discussion.

4 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Are you trying to move, or destroy, the Chlorine?

There are alternatives to a lot of the mechanics, but we need to understand the intent or it's a far too open ended discussion.

Thanks for your post, Kid.

The problem usually arises when i dig to other biomes and HAVE to dig through a small chlorine cave to proceed (without having to dig out a huge bypass tunnel). I can't be bothered to set up a pumping system 3 times just to build a straight tunnel to the Ice Biome. Moving or destroying the gas would be both valid, but I need a good method to do so without it leaking into my tunnels atmosphere.

11 minutes ago, PickyEater said:

Thanks for your post, Kid.

The problem usually arises when i dig to other biomes and HAVE to dig through a small chlorine cave to proceed (without having to dig out a huge bypass tunnel). I can't be bothered to set up a pumping system 3 times just to build a straight tunnel to the Ice Biome.

Sorry for the delay, my screenshot software takes a minute some times.

Help me understand your end destination.  A couple of cubes of chlorine are pretty much ignorable.  Sure, you dupes may need to get a breath now and then, but 'meh' to the amount of non-oxygen space you're dealing with.  For example:

e0SfHhe.jpg

So, my O2 is above my Chlorine, but it won't affect my resulting ranch.  A few dozen squares of off-gas shouldn't be a problem.  An example of letting it move out of the way on its own:

TJ6dIKC.jpg

So, what are you trying to do?

2 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Sorry for the delay, my screenshot software takes a minute some times.

Help me understand your end destination.  A couple of cubes of chlorine are pretty much ignorable.  Sure, you dupes may need to get a breath now and then, but 'meh' to the amount of non-oxygen space you're dealing with.  For example:

So, my O2 is above my Chlorine, but it won't affect my resulting ranch.  A few dozen squares of off-gas shouldn't be a problem.  An example of letting it move out of the way on its own:

So, what are you trying to do?

I have to admit that I just don't want chlorine in my base, no matter how little it does to its survivabilty. It's about aestethics, I hate the green dots in my perfect blue! :)

Just now, PickyEater said:

I have to admit that I just don't want chlorine in my base, no matter how little it does to its survivabilty. It's about aestethics, I hate the green dots in my perfect blue! :)

Oh!  That's fixable. :)

For starters, chlorine turns to liquid at ~35F temp.  It's got roughly a 120+ F range one it cools off.  You want to give it 5 degrees because the engine has some limiters so you don't keep bouncing off the edge of a state change.

A method I was using for a while to remove Chlorine for a bit:

KlL8p66.jpg

I was using a CO2 and Chlorine freezer.  Problem is Shipping won't handle it as usable values, so you have to use liquid storage for them.  Chlorine is fine for it, CO2 is rather specific in the range it'll handle.  However they're both useful.

Drift Chlorine into your food banks, and have some un-rottable food.  Otherwise it's just a nuisance if you don't put infrastructure into play.  The only way to get rid of it is with an ore scrubber or tile deletion mechanics. 

Sorry there's no easy way out, but there's a lot of curious ones.  I current use Chlorine to feed dreckos via Balm Lillies.

Use an airlock before the pump as suggested by op if you don't want any gas spill at all. If you can live with tiny little smudge 3 airlocks will do. Just build them first, then the pump and pipes and power but leave a 2 high x1 tile wide piece of stone between the pump and the chlorine that you remove LAST. So dupes have to open the airlock just 1 time when removing barrier between pump and chlorine. 

The downside is the pump will take forever at the end of the job pumping grams and micrograms before archiving vacuum.

In my games i just don't care about chlorine or any other gas. Being chlorine heavy than O2, it will go to the bottom of base naturally. The way i keep my base clean of "junk gases" is just need to build a Carbon Skimmer and a Gas Pump at the bottom. The Skimmer remove all CO2, and the pump, with some automation, remove all other heavy gases. In my case, Chlorine goes to my food storage, natural gas goes to a natgas generator that exists only to burn residual natgas, other gases are released near deodorizers, but its rarely happens due to automation.

Since i dont install any CO2 generating building inside the main bases, Skimmer keeps idle most of the time.

Hydrogen, being lighter, goes naturally to the top, and, same happens - a pump, some automation and hydrogen generator solves the problem.

Archived