Algae to Dirt conversion results

Hey folks, I'm looking at playing with "melting" Algae into dirt, and I'm curious about something.  I'm hoping someone who's dug into this deeper will know the answer.  For those interested it happens at 125C / 257F, heats to sand at 326.9C / 620.3F, then melts into liquid glass at 1712.9C / 3115.1F.  It'll vaporize at 2356.9 C / 4274.3F into Rock Gas.  Rock Gas turns into Magma which then reverts into igneous rock, if you ever get it there.

The Specific Heat Capacity of Algae is 0.200.  The specific heat of Dirt is 1.480.  Does this mean the thermal energy of the change increased magically via the engine?

EDIT: For that matter, the reverse condition from Dirt to Sand has sand at 0.461 Specific Heat.  So, you can dump a lot of heat energy by doing a dirt to sand change, or even to the glass which has 0.111.

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

Hey folks, I'm looking at playing with "melting" Algae into dirt, and I'm curious about something.  I'm hoping someone who's dug into this deeper will know the answer.  For those interested it happens at 125C / 257F, heats to sand at 326.9C / 620.3F, then melts into liquid glass at 1712.9C / 3115.1F.  It'll vaporize at 2356.9 C / 4274.3F into Rock Gas.  Rock Gas turns into Magma which then reverts into igneous rock, if you ever get it there.

The Specific Heat Capacity of Algae is 0.200.  The specific heat of Dirt is 1.480.  Does this mean the thermal energy of the change increased magically via the engine?

EDIT: For that matter, the reverse condition from Dirt to Sand has sand at 0.461 Specific Heat.  So, you can dump a lot of heat energy by doing a dirt to sand change, or even to the glass which has 0.111.

I also thought about melting slime/algae(hint - 100% mass saving if you do that instead of digging it, similar to ice/polluted ice and other materials), but ... given then they're quite precious, and you get ... sand and glass, which look useless to me right now, I'd keep the Algae and Slime if I could and think of another method to dump heat(maybe boil polluted water with its overpowering specific heat ?).

Also, magma => igneous rock would mean again that you need digging, hence you lose ½ of the material?

3 minutes ago, martosss said:

I also thought about melting slime/algae(hint - 100% mass saving if you do that instead of digging it, similar to ice/polluted ice and other materials), but ... given then they're quite precious, and you get ... sand and glass, which look useless to me right now, I'd keep the Algae and Slime if I could and think of another method to dump heat(maybe boil polluted water with its overpowering specific heat ?).

Also, magma => igneous rock would mean again that you need digging, hence you lose ½ of the material?

Oh, I wasn't doing it to dump heat on purpose.  I was tinkering around with approaches for producing dirt from the Algae distiller and realized the values seemed horribly tilted when I tried to cool it down.  I've heard it mentioned before that change changes are not energy neutral, so I was curious about the results.  You don't need slime/algae for long, as you only need it for fishery explosions and mushrooms.  After that, it's a wasted resource. 

Slime nets you 200g of algae and 400g of PH2O when it's converted, which can net you 16g/s from the sieves.  Mostly I'm just poking around at different techniques of generating additional dirts.  It's interesting that both Slime AND Algae convert to dirt at the exact same temperature though.

The gain/loss of energy through transformation often happens in game .. but only a few notice.

As example:

• 1g CrudeOil at 673K has 1137.37J
  • 1g Petroleum at 673K has 1184.48J
  • 1g Petroleum at 812K has 1429.12J
  • 1g NaturalGas at 812K has 1779.092J

In addition to the energy supplied, transforming CrudeOil to NaturalGas "produces" 397.082 J of energy.

Another example:

• 1g PollutedWater at 392.5K has 2355J
  • 1g Steam at 392.5K has 1640.2575J

In addition to the energy supplied, transforming PollutedWater to Steam "removes" 714.7425 J of energy.

41 minutes ago, erso said:

The gain/loss of energy through transformation often happens in game .. but only a few notice.

As example:

• 1g CrudeOil at 673K has 1137.37J
  • 1g Petroleum at 673K has 1184.48J
  • 1g Petroleum at 812K has 1429.12J
  • 1g NaturalGas at 812K has 1779.092J

In addition to the energy supplied, transforming CrudeOil to NaturalGas "produces" 641.722 J of energy.

Another example:

• 1g PollutedWater at 392.5K has 2355J
  • 1g Steam at 392.5K has 1640.2575J

In addition to the energy supplied, transforming PollutedWater to Steam "removes" 714.7425 J of energy.

Thank you.  Different words, but basically what I understood it to be.  I wasn't sure if transformation would have the same 'magic energy change' as phase changes.  I'd forgotten to double check Oil to Petro.    Appreciated.

Problem with these conversions, is If you transform solids, they turn to diggable tiles.

You can basically only work with gas - liquid - solid transformations. Not solid-solid.

I didn't understand where 641J on ngas comes from. My numbers say 224joules.

Just now, Carnis said:

Problem with these conversions, is If you transform solids, they turn to diggable tiles.

You can basically only work with gas - liquid - solid transformations. Not solid-solid.

Hrm. So, if I was to try to do a solid to solid conversion from dug algae it would turn into a diggable dirt tile and thus half it again, since the first dig created the material?  That sucks.  So much for that idea.  May still tinker with it anyway.

The rates seemed okay if I heated up existing diggable tiles however.  105kg of algae turned into 105 kg of dirt … etc.

40 minutes ago, Carnis said:

I didn't understand where 641J on ngas comes from. My numbers say 224joules.

641J was wrong, I fixed that above. The energy gain is 397.082J which correspond to the summation of the energy gain of CrudeOil->Petroleum (47.11J at 673K) and Petroleum->NaturalGas (349.972J at 812K).

Not every transformation creates a diggable tile. Heating PollutedWater results in steam and "collectable" dirt. If the temerature is above 600K dirt transforms to "diggable" sand.

2 hours ago, erso said:

Not every transformation creates a diggable tile. Heating PollutedWater results in steam and "collectable" dirt. If the temerature is above 600K dirt transforms to "diggable" sand.

This is a liquid - gas transform, but yes, klei could have ruined it with dirt tiles.

Regarding numbers, Nevermind

Exothermic reactions are not magic though, they happen.

22 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Slime -> Heat -> Dirt.  I like it less complicated.  And pacu are broken right now.

considering you can use slime for shrooms, I'm not sure why you'd want Dirt so much? For farm stations?

Just now, martosss said:

considering you can use slime for shrooms, I'm not sure why you'd want Dirt so much? For farm stations?

Feeding Glossy's, mostly, and supply for sleet wheat until the regular dreckos are up and running for BBQ.  Ran some numbers on them and didn't like what I saw for mid-game sustainment.

On 31/07/2018 at 11:47 AM, Miravlix said:

Puff->Slime->Algae->Pacu->pDirt->Compost->Dirt.

Why make it more complicated than that?

It's complicated because :

1 Puft = 15 Kg slime / cycle (optimal conditions)

1 Algae Distiller need 360 Kg slime / cycle so you need 24 Pufts (+ 120 Morbs)

1 Algae Distiller = 1 Pacu (less one in fact, given you obtain 120Kg/cycle)

So yes, it's complicated. 24 pufts for only one Pacu... :wilsondisapproving:

Archived