Help, my server still has ??? ping

I dont know if this is the right place to write it but i have a problem from a long time ago. My server has ??? ping, i tried to solve the problem doing what klei's admins said "forwarding port 10999" but didn't work. They said that they wil find a better solution but i can't find no one. Please i need help is no annoying.

Note: i desactivated firewall, antivirus and didn't work too.

It's a general and commonly known issue. Some people can manage to fix it by opening the respective ports in their firewall, for some it doesn't work. (Even Klei's official Gorge servers had that issue.)

This shouldn't affect gameplay though.

Also players can always check their ingame ping in the bottom right corner by pressing backspace to see the debug overlay.

I have the same question as well. In cases the server have a PUBLIC IP, that is, the server as accessible directly through IP and port from outside, we see the ping number and client connect direct to it. in all other cases (even if you HAVE a NAT'd but forwarded port) the ping number is ??? and client is connected through Steam NAT punch through. The latter case cause an intolerable lag from my experience, and I'm fxking AFK now.

But there's never an option for us to directly set an IP and port that will be reported to DST server list, to skip the Steam NAT workarounds. I think it's the developers to be blamed.

You blame the developers because you don't know how things work?

In order for X player to reach your hosted or dedicated server first it has to know where to connect, and this is done automatically for you when you start the server.

1. If the server doesn't have a router in front of it, meaning the server is the one who starts and maintains a connection with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to connect to Internet and it doesn't have any firewall to drop packages or whatever then there shouldn't be any "???" ping or connecting issues.

2. If your server is behind a router then things need a bit of tweaking because the router is the one that is actually starts and maintains the connection with your ISP, so obviously all traffic to and from internet has to come through it. So, if X player want to connect to your shared or dedicated DST server then the router has to know to what IP in the local network it should send the requests to and whatever he receives from this IP sends back over the internet to player X. This is called port forwarding!

Open your Master and Caves shards ports and you shouldn't get any "???" as ping.

Have a look at this post:

Archived