How to make solar farm ?

So i was trying to make a solar farm on surface (near space lobby) and i have no idea how to protect it from meteors.I tried using bunker blocks and window tiles but from time to time glass tiles get damaged by meteors and after they get few hits they get destroyed and i need to build another glass tile :c any ideas how to make a solar farm ? (adding pictures would be great)

9 hours ago, abud said:

Meteor splash damage 2 tiles. Put at least one space under bunker doors before your glass tiles. I put many spaces actually, but I read people said splash damage just 2 tiles.

Can you send a picture of your solar farm ?

Just now, Neotuck said:

Light passes though them?

Yes, originally they sit on glass tile. But because debris often making scanner entombed when doors open, I removed the tile.

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I didn't know the meteor scanner can be placed on ladders.

And I know this accidentally, they can fly like a pump

5 minutes ago, abud said:

Yes, originally they sit on glass tile. But because debris often making scanner entombed when doors open, I removed the tile.

And I know this accidentally, they can fly like a pump

Wasnt that patched in the new upgrade?

23 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Wasnt that patched in the new upgrade?

Really? I just reverted for this save game for a while. But before I revert... I didn't really look at scanner actually.

24 minutes ago, Honsey said:

Can you add wire and automaton overlay ?

Here it is, automation is basic only. That atmo sensor just there for me to manually close the doors, I often make a modification

Spoiler

Screenshot_17.thumb.png.7af2a8f0e3b73e54b5ecfe0156006c3d.png

Wire, also basic wiring, I guess. That hanging wire is old that I just forgot to remove.

Spoiler

Screenshot_16.thumb.png.344ea89626d8cc843dee381be21654da.png

Oh, don't forget to cool your battery and transformer if you use them in space. I used small quantity of oil on top of metal tiles and those temp shift plates.

I can't play this with preview update because... lag is unbearable on cycle 1163. I decided to revert for a bit because there are some builds that I haven't finished yesterday.

And still no auto digging, so we still need to manually dig glass tile where scanner sit. Otherwise, you never know when the meteor comes. What a chore :(

Oh, I don't want to use blueprint digging workaround for this, so probably I'll just keep those bunker doors shut forever.

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Aren`t your solar panels overheating with no gas around?

They didn't produce heat anymore. As long there is no hot debris fall into it, it won't overheat.

3 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Are the two wide thick bunker walls necessary?

No, you can use one layer. But there is a bug (I believe it is a bug) where regolith can appear under tiles on single layer steel. I take someone advice and try how about double thick wall. And surprise that bug is not there anymore.

Someone posted a "guide" on how to establish auto-dig, but it requires a Dupe dedicated to the task.  Basically, make sure the only access to the surface (above your Bunker Doors) goes through a little outpost, where you have a Door that only one (or a few) Dupe(s) can pass.  For that Dupe(s), turn off all Priority settings except Dig.  Then, on top of your Bunker Doors, set a row of construction orders.  Your "clearance crew" of Dupes will run out to dig any Regolith or other materials that tile-up on top of your Bunker Doors, but because they are only capable of Digging (everything else disabled) they will never be able to actually construct whatever it is you're using to trigger the dig orders.  No other Dupes can reach the construction to finish it, either, because they are not allowed past the Door(s) that allow access to the surface.

The real difficulty is setting this up in such a way that your Bunker Doors do not open while the process is being completed.  You'd have to make sure you calibrate the delay from the end of Meteor Season based on how long it will take them to actually dig out.

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Someone posted a "guide" on how to establish auto-dig

That was i refer to when I said " blueprint digging workaround" earlier. And I don't want that for my reasons.

Solar panels is not that worthy over my dupes freedom to access space :p

4 hours ago, abud said:

They didn't produce heat anymore. As long there is no hot debris fall into it, it won't overheat.

Good to know. Looks like i build an entire room for nothing. Mine probably got heated by one meteor breaking through while my detector was entombed.

Archived