Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

abud

Tiles pressure damage?

abud    499

Where can I find information about how much pressure that specific tile can hold before receiving pressure damage? Is it derived from "hardness" property? How we translate that into pressure? How does it work with double tiles? triple tiles?

All that I know is when they close to the limit there is a visual effect like glass about to broken.

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.2e67882540dd523d595b181dc92965f5.png

Argelle    131

To respond to @abud, and recap the video, hardness is a factor but not the only one.

Y axis is the number of tiles full of water (in a column) a wall can sustain (max is granite with 30 !!)

X axis is rocks hardness

image.thumb.png.f9a232ac66eaa14a40a96e61d06ba284.png

abud    499

Thanks @clickrush and @Argelle, But that video only testing with water and open on top. As you can see in my screenshot it breaks with 2 tile layer. It holds (for now) with 3 tiles. And it is not deep. It is oil from this post:

In my opinion, the relation should be tile material and pressure. How it can hold more with 2 or 3 layers, I don't know :(

Argelle    131

Video is testing doublelayer, and it supports a little less than twice what a single layer does.

(three layer = less than 3 time?)

Anyway if you're afraid it cracks, metal tiles seems to hold a s..load of water.

Except.. with your 80°C oil, high temperature conduction through metal may be a problem?

abud    499

In CU preview few weeks ago, my gulp pond breaks a few times. Because a bug that making polluted water cannot push water above it (it is fixed now). That pond only 3 tile deep :p

7 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Anyway if you're afraid it cracks, metal tiles seems to hold a s..load of water.

Actually no problem, I just curious. Today I just made 3rd hot water storage, I was wonder it will hold enough water (that video answer this, the answer is no, I need double layer or cut it a bit). I imagine making an aquarium with window tile, how much water it can holds?

Probably I should enable debug or sandbox and test it myself. I just being lazy :D

PhailRaptor    955
1 hour ago, Argelle said:

Video is testing doublelayer, and it supports a little less than twice what a single layer does.

(three layer = less than 3 time?)

My understanding is that any 3 width barrier is impervious to liquid pressure.  Is that no longer the case?

abud    499

I just tried using granite. That video is outdated. More than 50 tiles depth, and it is okay.

I tried different pressure, single granite break about 5400 kg

Screenshot_5.thumb.png.06cb914b8cbf0bc4ddc01809f44ff67a.png

47 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

My understanding is that any 3 width barrier is impervious to liquid pressure.  Is that no longer the case?

I don't know, I'll update once I found out (only if I figured out xD). Btw, how to overpressure liquid? Door compactor?

Update 1

Behold sedimentary rock, you can do it. It is not 3 anymore

Screenshot_7.thumb.png.d7f53a18e9adff5fc4ad8022e6d49b92.png

Actually, sedimentary rock can hold about 1300 Kg water

Left pic 1200 and it is okay, middle pic 1300 about to break,

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.b3386e8a3a5af875f89161bad7235d75.png

I was sure it is by pressure (hence the name pressure damage), not depth. Until I tried petroleum, it just 1100 Kg and about to break :confused:

Update 2

Probably @PhailRaptor right. 3 tile sedimentary can hold... max amount I can type in sandbox mode :p

Screenshot_10.png.5a04d44add1b7efc2f087be0bd1c8323.png

SackMaggie    167

then use metal instead ?

Door is pretty good for making tank.

Spoiler

image.png

It can hold infinite amount of pressure. 

Note: Cracking is from berried stuff

Parusoid    569
1 hour ago, SackMaggie said:

then use metal instead ?

Door is pretty good for making tank.

Hide contents

image.png

It can hold infinite amount of pressure. 

Note: Cracking is from berried stuff

To bad if they fix it. It does not seem to be intentional feature especially now when we have bunker walls 

abud    499
9 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

Door is pretty good for making tank

Nice find, but I'm not going to make a tank using doors.

9 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

then use metal instead ?

Tank... from metal

tank.jpg.96e3e122aeac904541cb54bb3a374c9c.jpg

8 hours ago, Parusoid said:

To bad if they fix it.

Even if they didn't fix it, it just too strange and scary using doors that way. Just personal opinion though

Kabrute    1070

I saw something similar with an accidental waterloop in my own base where I saw pressure jump over 3000kg but it wasn't very long so I dismissed it as a fluke.  Thanks for testing this. 

Kabrute    1070

the cell is filled with a gas and gas can't be broken by pressure.  Its like using surface tensions and making a giant swimming pool with fireants....

abud    499

Guys, original question in this thread is how game decide to break the tile. If it determined by pressure, how much pressure. So far probably testing in debug mode is the only choices. From my test in water vs petroleum, I found out it is not by pressure.

4 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

By using metal I mean use airflow tile.

4 hours ago, Kabrute said:

the cell is filled with a gas and gas can't be broken by pressure.  Its like using surface tensions and making a giant swimming pool with fireants....

It is applied when the liquid inside didn't have the power to displace gas under airflow. With previous changes on liquid to gas displacement, it still unlimited pressure limit? They might (or not) change this behavior in the future.