Research too OP early game

Just now, RogueAssassin said:

I think Research is too fast and OP early game that people be done with all the research and be done with the machines. Research should be nerfed and a "Science Lab"room should be introduced to somewhat compensate.

+1 for a special room!

-1 for the rest. We had had for a long time a slowed research speed. It was horrible!!! NASTY!

The whole game tends to a waiting game also without your suggestion. I don't need more waiting parts.

I hav to disagree as well. At least not unless the research tree was rearaged around quite a bit and more options were given from the start.

If the research speed was to be significanly slowed then planter boxes, algae terrarium, basic vents and pipes and potted plant should be available from the start..

A lab room would e a nice room to have, maybe give a bonus to making medecine if there's an apothecary in it as well.  (the alternative would be to put it in the sick bay. I'm not a fan of making a speial 'pharmacy room for ujst one piece of equipement)

What does slowing down research gain anyone? The process of researching isn't particularly engaging. There are no real design hurdles, you simply cosign yourself to being a duplicant short until it is finished. There are some interesting decisions in choosing what to research first but slowing down research doesn't change that it just delays it and impedes players ability to build.

Maybe you just need to ramp up the point costs of the mid/late techs.  That way you get the early basic stuff at the same pace as now, but the rest is slowed down.

I find that I am in immediate need for all my early tech, but when it's the mid game I am discovering tech faster then I can actually build it or use it, which makes research boring and removes the tension or feeling that I am being challenged.

Research doesn't need to be slowed down, but it needs to have more tier gates.  I shouldn't be able to just research everything in the first 50 cycles and never look at a lab again.   Should be that each tier of research requires you to utilize aspects of the previous tier to perform.  An example would be that the Super computer should require you to pipe water in, not just hand deliver, to build a further upgraded research machine I should need refined metals, then from there I'll need plastics to make the next research machine, ect.  A dedicated research lab room would faintly increase the speed of research, and reduce the resource consumption (Say +20% speed, -20% cost for all lab facilities).  Could even make it require having an active light just because you obviously shouldn't be doing research in the dark.

I also feel the 'quick' research tree has a fairly heavy potential 'cost' early game.  Presumably you're ranking up your researchers along the way, but that increases their minimum happy levels.  Also, it doesn't really matter if you have all research, since you're still strongly restricted by access to materials.  The bottleneck isn't the speed of research its the speed at which you can implement the fruits of that research. 

+1 for research room though.

11 hours ago, Steelflame said:

Research doesn't need to be slowed down, but it needs to have more tier gates.  I shouldn't be able to just research everything in the first 50 cycles and never look at a lab again.   Should be that each tier of research requires you to utilize aspects of the previous tier to perform.  An example would be that the Super computer should require you to pipe water in, not just hand deliver, to build a further upgraded research machine I should need refined metals, then from there I'll need plastics to make the next research machine, ect.  A dedicated research lab room would faintly increase the speed of research, and reduce the resource consumption (Say +20% speed, -20% cost for all lab facilities).  Could even make it require having an active light just because you obviously shouldn't be doing research in the dark.

I really like this one - add more diverse material requirements than just dirt and water for later tech

Archived