Another way, to use algae terrarium - argument against piping output

I see many times questions like :
"dafugg, why AT has no piping connections"
I use it since the beginning (PW bottle drop)  in similar ways, like i show you and had never thought, ppl do it different.
I bet it's not my invention, but i want to share.
Last time i was wondering, because a guy used 9 AT in one spot to produce O² and he was wondering about dupe workload.

Build AT first, research deodorizer.
Disable PW sweeping (no place to empty it), bottles should stay there, (no grabby fingers ouchy wouchy germy touch)
When first bottles are dropped, disable delivery on the AT.
Build doors around and use permissions to prevent dupe access.
Much O² for a long time, germs no prob, and no further dupe workload..

image.thumb.png.7722ad8bb68364924bf52409ce34e72b.png

Just now, Yunru said:

Might I suggest putting the deoderizers on the outsides of the doors?

You can spam them everywhere and sure when you prevent access completely, deos in reach would be nice.
So far player has no place to empty bottles, permissions are not really needed, but when, sure would be smart to place them in reach. :)

9 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Interestingly, this is what I do with my Wash Basins in my early game Latrine.  Don't bother emptying the bottles, just let them off-gas in place and go through the Deodorizors.

Most do it by accident, but then sweeping the bottle away. :)

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Most do it by accident, but then sweeping the bottle away. :)

Easiest way to prevent sweeping your offgassing PW bottles is to simply not build a bottle emptier for PW until cycle 100 or w/e.  not building something is a lot easier than building all those doors and setting perms

With all due respect how is that much of a argument against  output piping on Alge terrarium ?

I mean what you're showing is that it's resonably possible to use algae terrariums without a pipe output but I'm not seeing anything making an argument against why adding one would be a bad idea or make things worse.

With all due respect it’s a little like going ‘an argument against indoor plumbing' and showing an image of a basket and a well. Yes, sure, it works. It did for centuries in fact. But that doesn't by itself prove anything why an indor bathroom isn't superior (an I'll stick with the later personally)

Yes you don't need a dirty water output on algae terrarium to use them sure, I use purifiers near my Algae terrarium myself. But it's not like it completely negate the problem raised in, say, this thread that ask for an otput piping on AT, like duplicant labor. In fact now not only do you need dupliant to empty out the tanks an bring water and algae regularly for your terrarum to stay active but you also need them to regularly put sand back in the purifiers so the system still need as much if not more duplicants labor not to mention the necessity to research purifiers quick in the early game).

Now, as long as the game is as it is now, namely that there aren't any /optional/ output (ie as far as I can tell if there's an input/output It absolutely MUST be connected or the building can't be used), I'd rather Algae terrarum stay output free, they're fine as they are n the early game and I generally like to take my time to design my piping system.

But if the option to add an output later as an upgrade on an already existing building was added to the game as asked in a suggestion thread, for example, then I see no reason it wouldn't be an improvement on all boards.

This trick doesn't need the algae terrarium to work, you can also do it with a metal refinery which does have a liquid input. It can store 800 kg of polluted water which will offgas at a high rate without requiring duplicant work other than for the deodorizers.

1 hour ago, Sevio said:

This trick doesn't need the algae terrarium to work, you can also do it with a metal refinery ..

Sure Sir, but my exosuit engineer told me, this thread is about "hacking" the AT, not the MR!
exosuit.thumb.jpg.2364a3eea19abc3de3f29cb1d79c6ed7.jpg

Just now, GrindThisGame said:

Is the off gassing rate from a bottle fairly high vs. just from the surface of some polluted water?

In my experience it's quite a bit higher, yes, but I have no numbers to back that up.  Just a feeling from my play experience.

I did some testing with the offgas rate of bottles and metal refineries a little while back and it's significantly higher. I didn't get exact numbers but a metal refinery is definitely enough to outdo a 3-wide pool of polluted water, most likely much more more than that.

Not sure if 2d-stacked metal refineries could outdo a dedicated polluted water evaporator using airflow tiles, but the metal refineries would be easier to build.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:25 AM, PhailRaptor said:

Interestingly, this is what I do with my Wash Basins in my early game Latrine.  Don't bother emptying the bottles, just let them off-gas in place and go through the Deodorizors.

How long does this take? Effected by temperature? If you have enough water this might be an option, but some maps I don't so I have to firce a dump or sweep.

Archived