Jump to content

Cosmic Upgrade - New light system


Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm looking for your opinion on this new game mechanic

I realized that the solar light is infinite and it does not decreases when is more deep. And some buildings don't block the light.

Lumen vs lux: Also, I realized that lamp and ceiling light emit lux, not lumen.
Lux = lumen/m2 or lumen/area unit (1 tile). But lamps/spotlights (IRL) emit lumen and lux value increases when there are less area. This not happen in the game. lux values are fixed according to tile position. I know that this is irrelevant for the moment, because lux only affects to solar panel and using lamps/ceiling light for this generator is useless. But these game mechanics can do the game more interesting (and maybe difficult), real (i know that this game has its own physics) and can be used for other buildings or plants (bristle blossom only need light, not an amount of lux). I'm thinking how it could be implemented, giving to lamps/lights a fixed lumen amount and distributing it according to the available area.

What do you thing about this ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, neoazureus said:

But lamps/spotlights (IRL) emit lumen and lux value increases when there are less area.

That was one of the first things I tested after starting the prieview ...

So I  would love it if they would add more depth to the concept of light in the game. (Not 100% sure how, but there should be some dependency on light.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to take advantage of light passing through airflow and mesh tiles to have bristle blooms up and running as soon as I could get air flow or mesh tiles up.  I can't do this anymore:

Spoiler

5b1158ad587eb_starterfarm.thumb.png.7cf8343ca1adead2379962354fa3735b.png5b1158b139738_starterfarm2.thumb.png.f2596f457efa6cb3f050ea009a744724.png

Now when I try, this happens:

Spoiler

light3.png.69aa21d1d5f4d02629fe0d11eae9d677.png

However, I just noticed there are window tiles, so its still a thing.  Just have to wait until the glass forge is producing...

light4.png.8887062ae46dff6c9e3f0677b5569fba.png

 

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

So I  would love it if they would add more depth to the concept of light in the game. (Not 100% sure how, but there should be some dependency on light.)

There is, kinda.  Bristle blooms require it, and your dupes are happier if there's light in your base.  The problem I encountered in the past was the constant heat generation from light fixtures or floor lamps would slowly heat up my base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I used to take advantage of light passing through airflow and mesh tiles to have bristle blooms up and running as soon as I could get air flow or mesh tiles up.  I can't do this anymore:

 

Would glass/diamond tiles be a viable solution?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue with expecting Glass to replace Mesh/Airlfow is the need to actually manufacture Glass, is it not?  I'm not on preview, so I don't know where in the tech tree the Glass Forge is situated, what material type it builds from (expecting Refined Metal due to temp...), or what it's power requirement is.  None of that strikes me as an early game process, which would further complicate attempts to get Bristles up early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

The issue with expecting Glass to replace Mesh/Airlfow is the need to actually manufacture Glass, is it not?  I'm not on preview, so I don't know where in the tech tree the Glass Forge is situated, what material type it builds from (expecting Refined Metal due to temp...), or what it's power requirement is.  None of that strikes me as an early game process, which would further complicate attempts to get Bristles up early.

Spoiler

Yeah, the window tiles are 5th tier research, so not an early game thing.  The glass forge is also 5th tier research, but  in a different tree.  However, glass tiles CAN be made with diamond, so you don't necessarily HAVE to build a glass forge.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Yeah, the window tiles are 5th tier research, so not an early game thing.  The glass forge is also 5th tier research, but  in a different tree.  However, glass tiles CAN be made with diamond, so you don't necessarily HAVE to build a glass forge.

Normally, before i dug out diamond, i already completed research glass forge. Anyhow, this still delay attempt to get bristle berry on going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Need mirror to reflect the light.

I love that idea too but this mean that all luminous sources need to emit a fixed output of lumen and not a fixed amount of lux depending to tile position.

With shinebugs this will be hard to process. Because the game will need to analyze the position of the shinebug and the area/walls surrounding, every second/tick to calculate the value of lux in each tile and change according to the position of the shinebug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, neoazureus said:

I love that idea too but this mean that all luminous sources need to emit a fixed output of lumen and not a fixed amount of lux depending to tile position

That´s the point, would love that change.

 

But your right I missed the performance loss for shinebugs ... (So maybe not it wouldn´t be that great for the little gameplay impact)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...