[L10N] Help wanted

I finished the french translation for the ranching II update (unless some strings change again today) and I'm now looking at how I can improve things. I could use some help from native english users :)

I - Misc

STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.PERSONALITY.EQUIPMENT.NO_ASSIGNABLES_TOOLTIP

{0} has not been assigned any buildings of their own

I can't find a way to make this string appear. From the context, it should appear when mousehovering a line after selecting a duplicant but what does it mean ?

STRINGS.RESEARCH.TECHS.BASICREFINEMENT.DESC
When life gives you rocks, make rock-aid! (Or sand.)

appears when mousehovering the brute-force research but it sounds like it comes from an english expression. What's the original one?

STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.STATUSITEMS.STOREFORBUILDPRIORITIZEDDELIVERSTATUS.TOOLTIP
This Duplicant is delivering materials to a {Target} construction errand

This one looks strange, I'd expect the duplicant would deliver materials for a construction errand or to a construction site. String issue?

II - Creatures

STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.HATCH.VARIANT_VEGGIE.NAME
<link="HATCHVEGGIE">Sage Hatch</link>

Before the last hotfix, it wasn't called 'VEGGIE' and now I wonder what's "sage" in this context. could be "sage" = calm/not agitated or "sage" like the plant name (this one http://www.motherearthnaturalhealth.ca/sage-sauge/ )

I'm also trying to translate: Hatch, Morb and Puft, which animal do you have in mind when you're looking at them ?

critters' variants were a pain to translate (*cough* sunny shine *cough*), I'll wait for our mod users feedback.

Drecko and Pacu will keep their original name, I like the idea to have a gecko with dreadlocks and 'pacu' is the japanese onomatopoeia used when you're eating (hence Pac-Man).
The gulp fish is listed as a pacu sub-specie but unlike every other critters is doesn't have the original name. I'll also leave it untranslated for now.

III - Plants

I don't have translations yet for muckroots and bluff briars. I can't find anything close that could be used as a base. Any suggestion?

15 minutes ago, krop said:

appears when mousehovering the brute-force research but it sounds like it comes from an english expression. What's the original one?

When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade

49 minutes ago, krop said:

STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.PERSONALITY.EQUIPMENT.NO_ASSIGNABLES_TOOLTIP

{0} has not been assigned any buildings of their own

I can't find a way to make this string appear. From the context, it should appear when mousehovering a line after selecting a duplicant but what does it mean ?

I believe this is from the amenities section under the bio tab. It lists if a dupe had a bed/cot/mess table/ect assigned to them.

54 minutes ago, krop said:

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

56 minutes ago, krop said:

STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.HATCH.VARIANT_VEGGIE.NAME
<link="HATCHVEGGIE">Sage Hatch</link>

Before the last hotfix, it wasn't called 'VEGGIE' and now I wonder what's "sage" in this context. could be "sage" = calm/not agitated or "sage" like the plant name (this one http://www.motherearthnaturalhealth.ca/sage-sauge/ )

I'd guess the plant version, but that's just the way I think of it.

forgot two strings:

STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.SEEDS.OILEATER.NAME
<link="OILEATER">Ink Bloom Seed</link>

Digging up Buried Objects may uncover an Ink Bloom Seed.

Is this implemented ? a seed giving creatures ?

3 hours ago, krop said:

I'm also trying to translate: Hatch, Morb and Puft, which animal do you have in mind when you're looking at them ?

critters' variants were a pain to translate (*cough* sunny shine *cough*), I'll wait for our mod users feedback.

Drecko and Pacu will keep their original name, I like the idea to have a gecko with dreadlocks and 'pacu' is the japanese onomatopoeia used when you're eating (hence Pac-Man).
The gulp fish is listed as a pacu sub-specie but unlike every other critters is doesn't have the original name. I'll also leave it untranslated for

I don't have translations yet for muckroots and bluff briars. I can't find anything close that could be used as a base. Any suggestion?

Can we have the list of all french name critters you already got ( i'm playing in English to avoid this ^^)

For "Muck Roots" Google Trad suggest : Racine de Mucus, or i will suggest " Tubercule boueux", why not " Carrotte de Terre" ( ground carrot)
For " Bluff Briars" ( Bluff= Bluffer + Briar = Bruyère) : i will suggest " Fausse Bruyere" or " Bruyere des Cavernes" Something like that.

Puft: ( Puff= Bouffée/Soufle) and it make me things about the Puff puff pass ( when you got a joint IRL). There is a meaning of Blowing or breathing. we can call it  " Une Bouffette " ( comme une mouffette :p)

Also for the Hatch, ( meaning " Porte " ou "Trappe" ) i will say we need to have a notion of "hole eating all" . For me Hatch are like Black Hole, Eating everything to make Black matter ( Coal^^)

And how did you translate the "Slime Lung" ? May be we can relate the Ore ( Slime) With the Slimelung, and the Morb ( emiting SLimelung, coming from the dead body). For me Morb sound like " Morbide".

i agree with you for the Pacu,Gulp fish  and the Drecko, name should stay like that in french version.

On 03/05/2018 at 3:00 PM, Hasharin said:

Can we have the list of all french name critters you already got ( i'm playing in English to avoid this ^^

• Puft : Puft Bouffette
  • Dense Puft : Puft Dense Bouffette Dense  Compacte
  • Squeaky Puft : Puft Couinant Bouffette Couinante
  • Puft Prince : Puft Princier Bouffette Princière
  • Slickster : Gluant
  • Molten Slickster : Gluant Fondu
  • Longhair Slickster : Gluant à Poils Longs
  • Shine bug : Luciole
  • Sunny Shine Bug : Luciole Radieuse
  • Crystal Shine Bug : Luciole Cristalline
  • Nega Shine Bug : Luciole Néga
  • Placid Shine Bug : Luciole Placide
  • Royal Shine Bug : Luciole Royale
  • Vital Shine Bug : Luciole Vitale (not happy with this one either)
  • Nymph : Nymphe (Yes, shine bugs giving birth to nymphs sounds weird)
  • Hatch : Hatch
  • Sage Hatch : Hatch Sage
  • Smooth Hatch : Hatch Lisse
  • Stone Hatch : Hatch Pierreux (yes, the word exists)
  • Morb : Morb
  • Drecko : Drecko
  • Glossy Drecko : Drecko Brillant

Another issue when translating is the lack of anything like -let suffix in french, I had to workaround this.

While at it, for plants:

• Mealwood: Arbre à Poux
  • Sleet Wheat: Blé Grêle
  • Bluff Briar: Bluff Briar Fausse Bruyère
  • Bristle Blossom: Fleur Velue
  • Balm Lily: Lys des Marais
  • Muckroot: Muckroot Tubercule Boueux
  • Dusk Cap: Obscurignon
  • Pincha Pepperplant: Plant de Poivre Pincha
  • Wheezewort: Plante Sifflante (plant making noise when it's breathing)
  • Thimble Reed: Pousse de Roseau

And how did you translate the "Slime Lung" ?

Limonchite

On 03/05/2018 at 3:00 PM, Hasharin said:

For "Muck Roots" Google Trad suggest : Racine de Mucus, or i will suggest " Tubercule boueux", why not " Carrotte de Terre" ( ground carrot)
For " Bluff Briars" ( Bluff= Bluffer + Briar = Bruyère) : i will suggest " Fausse Bruyere" or " Bruyere des Cavernes" Something like that.

Many thanks, I'll take "tubercule boueux" (which is vague enough, a carrot wouldn't really match the "invasive" trait) and "Fausse bruyère" (can grow in a pot, "caverne" wouldn't fit).

Puft: ( Puff= Bouffée/Soufle) and it make me things about the Puff puff pass ( when you got a joint IRL). There is a meaning of Blowing or breathing. we can call it  " Une Bouffette " ( comme une mouffette :p)

Interesting :) Let's try that.

Also for the Hatch, ( meaning " Porte " ou "Trappe" ) i will say we need to have a notion of "hole eating all" . For me Hatch are like Black Hole, Eating everything to make Black matter ( Coal^^)

Could be a "Glouton" (glutton)

12 hours ago, krop said:

I think it is supposed to express the idea that it eats organic matters, and a literal translation in french doesn't really do it. "Hatch/glouton végétal" is the most accurate translation I can think of; it doesn't sounds exciting but is less weird than "Hatch Sauge". Maybe Glouton vivace? Glouton chlorophyllien? (lol)

8 hours ago, krop said:

Another issue when translating is the lack of anything like -let suffix in french, I had to workaround this.

There are many suffix equivalents in french to convey the idea of smallness. Here are some examples for inspiration :

• on (baleinon, girafon, chaton)
  • eau (veau, lionceau, éléphanteau)
  • et, ette, elet (porcelet, lézardet)
  • ot, otte (chiot)

Considering these, I think drecklet could simply be translated to dreckelet (or dreckelot?).

8 hours ago, krop said:
  • Slickster : Gluant
  • Molten Slickster : Gluant Fondu
  • Longhair Slickster : Gluant à Poils Longs

« Gluant » definitely doesnt sounds as nice as slickster does, however since this is a made up word, its very hard to translate.

Slick is a multilayered word that can mean :

• (smoothly efficient) / habile
  • (talking about a style) / beau, chic, smart
  • (talking about hair) / lisse, luisant
  • (talking about an oil slick) / marée noire, nappe ou fuite de pétrole
  • etc
  • (relying partially on dictionnaries here because I'm not exactly a native english speaker).

And the -ster suffix is used to create an agent noun  (Words like trickster, or more commonly maker, baker, driver etc.) The french equivalent is : -eur.

So etymologically speaking it could mean "faiseur de nappe de pétrole" (while still conveying the other ideas listed).

Spoiler

... You could also retreat into dessert analogies and call them Pudding :p

image.thumb.png.e9b4bc341e77a862480e86f1e6837f3b.png

These are oilings from FFXII, in case anybody wonders

Final small suggestions :

15 hours ago, krop said:

gulp fish

Poisson gobeur?

8 hours ago, krop said:

Glossy Drecko : Drecko Brillant

Drecko Luisant (because for me "brillant" suggest that it is making its own light)

Hatch like floor door, like in a boat or submarine
Pufft is like the noise coming from bubbles in a swamp pufftftftf
Morb in my personal opinion, means moving orb but your might call it giant germ or something similar as it is a giant bacteria

Thanks for your input, comments below

I think it is supposed to express the idea that it eats organic matters, and a literal translation in french doesn't really do it. "Hatch/glouton végétal" is the most accurate translation I can think of; it doesn't sounds exciting but is less weird than "Hatch Sauge". Maybe Glouton vivace? Glouton chlorophyllien? (lol)

Indeed. "vegan" could have been used... except that it eats insects (liceloaf). I'll revert back to 'sage' until Hatch gets a localized name.
@SamLogan calls them "crabs", they're hiding in the floor, have a carapace... but they don't have pincers nor like water that much.
A short name looks better however. I'd like to have a one syllable name.

There are many suffix equivalents in french to convey the idea of smallness. Here are some examples for inspiration :

• on (baleinon, girafon, chaton)
  • eau (veau, lionceau, éléphanteau)
  • et, ette, elet (porcelet, lézardet)
  • ot, otte (chiot)

Considering these, I think drecklet could simply be translated to dreckelet (or dreckelot?).

Correct, I'll try to improve things. This can't be done for every strings as we don't use these suffix the same way as in english.

eg: afaik, we almost never use <baby short name> egg but use the fully grown animal name that laid it ('œuf de poule' vs 'œuf de poussin', 'œuf de grenouille' vs. 'œuf de tétard'...)

Slick is a multilayered word that can mean :

(smoothly efficient) / habile
    (talking about a style) / beau, chic, smart
    (talking about hair) / lisse, luisant
    (talking about an oil slick) / marée noire, nappe ou fuite de pétrole
    etc
    (relying partially on dictionnaries here because I'm not exactly a native english speaker).

And the -ster suffix is used to create an agent noun  (Words like trickster, or more commonly maker, baker, driver etc.) The french equivalent is : -eur.

So etymologically speaking it could mean "faiseur de nappe de pétrole" (while still conveying the other ideas listed)

Hint: The codex link is "OILFLOATER". If I had to chance this critter name, the new name would have to make players think:
- It doesn't really have shapes,
- It's viscous
- It's a pollution source, the name shall have a negative connotation

Poisson gobeur?

Why not. Thanks.

Drecko Luisant (because for me "brillant" suggest that it is making its own light)

Interesting, it's the exact opposite for me :)  This one doesn't need changes.

If it can help you ending your critters list in a satisfying way :

Vital Shine Bug : Luciole Énergique
Dense Puft : Bouffette Compacte (ou Lourde)
Hatch : Loving 'glouton', was thinking something similar like 'Crabe Gobeur', but better keeping 'gobeur' for the fishes i guess!

ps : where do you upload your translated files btw ?

On 08/05/2018 at 2:58 AM, Siromatik said:

If it can help you ending your critters list in a satisfying way :

Vital Shine Bug : Luciole Énergique
Dense Puft : Bouffette Compacte (ou Lourde)
Hatch : Loving 'glouton', was thinking something similar like 'Crabe Gobeur', but better keeping 'gobeur' for the fishes i guess!

ps : where do you upload your translated files btw ?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification for your message. I just moved the GIT repo to framagit: https://framagit.org/krop/Oxygen-Not-Included_french

Unless huge changes occur before the cosmic update release, the french strings are ready in the "cosmic" branch.

Archived