What good are Pacus?

Pacu's take algae and give back polluted dirt. As far as I can tell the only place to use polluted dirt is in compost heaps to create fertilizer but there's much better ways to create fertilizer and by the time I've gotten to the place where I need fertilizer I can use the fertilizer synthesizer. Algae for fertilizer seems like a bad trade so the only thing I can think of them being useful for, so far, is meat. Does anybody else have a better use for these fish?

Pacus produce loads of eggs, because of their 67% reproduction when tamed. if you keep your colony under or at 6 dupes, keep your farm at 4 or less fish, supplement the eggs with wild and domestic crops, you will be able to survive well past 100 cycles. You can switch from using alage to using other forms of oxygen production during that time.

Sage Hatches will eat the Polluted Dirt, and will produce Coal at a ratio of 1:1 for mass, instead of 2:1 from other types of Hatch.  Alternatively, you can simply allow the P-Dirt to off-gas P-O2, which you can easily clean with a Deodorizer for power free Oxygen.

In my last game (only Mark I), I actually had an excess of algae and a need for polluted dirt. I was converting the polluted dirt to polluted oxygen, then to slime, to run my massive mushroom farm. If I had this path, I would have maybe set up a small Pacu farm. I’m curious to see if anyone else has any ideas.

2 hours ago, TheScaryOne said:

They should crap phosphorite from algae

I love that idea.

Pacus are not "really" sustainable right now or to specify it: easy early when you simply dig up more algae and real hard with big morb/puft farms in the late game ( only 24 pufts per Pacu or 4 full max sized stables full of pufts).

But if they would excrete phosphorite i would be totally fine with it, even if just tropical pacus did that with a 2:1 conversion rate.

Archived