Don't build Algae Terrariums, they use too much water for the amount of Oxygen produced and they only remove a miniscule amount of Co2. Sorry if this is too basic but figured if I was a brand new player I'd look at this topic so this could be useful for someone.

Germs are easy... always have your dupe wash their hands after they do their business, and for slimelung, don't expand too fast into slime biomes, bring in air deoderizers, and immediately sweep up all slime, putting it in a storage box that is submerged in water.
Oh, and visit a hot biome first, so you can start picking wild balm lilies for medicine as a backup.

I just saw this on the Steam ONI board, good advice, <<  https://steamcommunity.com/app/457140/discussions/0/1694918539665963769/>>  

I second watch some of the videos from people listed, some advice will be a bit outdated due to the nature of a beta game but the beginner guides are usually spot on except for food which has changed, I've watched several from all the people listed in the post.  Get in the habit of checking your overlays, Oxygen and Temp in particular so you can nip problems in the bud.  Start small, don't take more than four or five dupes until you have oxygen and food set up in surplus.    Don't use musher, have them eat the raw meal lice, I rush tech to planters so I can plant the meal lice and then work on mushrooms.  If you want an easier play through the first time back, look in the asteroid seed sharing thread and pick a seed number that has good starting biome and enough water so you don't start behind the eight ball.  I'm using 1814392082 which has an amazingly generous starting biome and a ton of wild sleet wheat and peppers with good water and natural gas.  Don't expand too fast, use pneumatic doors to keep your starting biome sealed off from your explorations so that slimelung doesn't invade your base and you don't need as much oxygen just to keep your base filled.  I like building bleach dispensers at the doors leading out of my base. Mainly I like to play SLOW, slow to take dupes, slow to expand, I like to get my base all set up and surplus food and oxygen from algae deoxydizers before I start expanding out to find resources to support power and more water, less fast forming catastrophes that way.  Have fun!

I've a few tips for new players:

1. Start with a plan. Setting up a bathroom with sinks, a barracks with beds, and a research station should be priority #1 from cycle 0.
  2. Get a farm going. Meal lice will keep you full for 100+ cycles if you are very conservative, but will burn your water in the microbe musher. Go for mushrooms or harvest wild plants wherever possible.
  3. Start small. 4-6 dupes is plenty for early game, and you should only hire more when you have constant food surplus for them. 1-2 algae deoxydizers can support 8 dupes if your base is well ventilated.
  4. Beware of germs. The germ overlay is your friend. If you break into a slime biome early, set up wash stations and put the slime in a water bath to keep it from getting germs in the air. You'll be fine if dupes get sick if you have med beds.
  5. Your water is your most valuable resource. Conserve it, store polluted water, drain pools of polluted water into a reservoir for later.
  6. Migrate from coal power and algae deoxydizers to natural gas and electrolyzers only after you feel comfortable. If you need to explore to dig up more coal and algae, you've waited too long. ALWAYS build your power plants outside the main base, to avoid heating things up and making a mess with waste CO2 and polluted water.
  7. Ice biomes are your best friend mid-game. Wheezeworts can keep things cool and balanced for a long time, and melting ice/polluted ice can extend your water a very long time, and wild sleet wheat is free food.

If you've followed all of those, you'll have bases that can last 500+ cycles easily, and you can explore advanced automation, power systems, gas management, solids transportation, tube transportation, and all sorts of shenanigans. 

I have a playlist with various little tips/tricks vids that might offer some help.

I've yet to write/record an "all purpose guide" because honestly 1) new players should be encouraged to find their own way first, 2) the games constantly changing and every update usually completely alters the early game especially.

When we're a bit closer to a release i'll do a full overhaul of videos.

As ever :

"Some of these videos may be outdated due to patches, and because ONI is very much still an early access game. If you need an updated video - let me know.x" 

:)

Archived