Liquid Oxygen made easy

I seen some people make complex builds to cool polluted oxygen till it condenses to liquid.  After playing around various designs I found a simple way to cool polluted O2 using single 6 tile room filled with hydrogen.  Enough room for a gas pump, a vent, and a temp sensor set to above -200C.  H2 is pumped to a single regulator automated by the temp sensor.  I keep the regulators cool by dripping PW from a slush geyser

the hydrogen temp is very slow to drop once you get it started but it's steady enough to reach the needed -183C 

20180415234439_1.thumb.jpg.7e1389645982f294cd9d28d55d4e3400.jpg

how long from construction to lox?

pumps create heat, not a lot but they do, so thats the first spot your fighting yourself in this system.  Secondly, your tsp setup like that makes the entire thing thermally locked doesn't it?  like, your entire cooling rail should be nearly = in temp with that many shift plates, which is great once you get lox started but...... yeah....

I think you can really boost speed by using  more regulators in a single line, mebe hook a bypass valve in there for when the temps below 230 so it only passes through 1 regulator to "maintain" your temps.  Your moving 1500 g/s through you "1" regulator "averaging" at a cost of 1kj/s so your cooling roughly 100g by 1c for 100joules per second if you add a second regulator to each loop you double your cooling factor while only raising total power consumption by 1/3 of your current consumption, that is 1.3xpower but 2x cooling and would fit into your current design on all but top floor without alteration....alternatively union your hydrogen chambers and make a "coolant rail" and go from 3pumps to 2, but 3 regs to 5 at the same total power cost but with a substantial increase in cooling factor

Howmuch LOX do you make with this setup?
You should look into using an aquatuner as well. Once you have a good supply of LOX, cooling it down with an aquatuner and then using it to cool down pO2 that is precooled will up your production a lot as an aquatuner can suck out heat a hell of a lot faster than thermo regulators.
( look at the post about my setup I made on reddit about it )
I plan on stepping up LOX production soon, then use it to cool boiled oil so I have NG at a reasonable temp and O2 for my dupes at a reasonable temp.

4 hours ago, suicide commando said:

Howmuch LOX do you make with this setup?
You should look into using an aquatuner as well. Once you have a good supply of LOX, cooling it down with an aquatuner and then using it to cool down pO2 that is precooled will up your production a lot as an aquatuner can suck out heat a hell of a lot faster than thermo regulators.
( look at the post about my setup I made on reddit about it )
I plan on stepping up LOX production soon, then use it to cool boiled oil so I have NG at a reasonable temp and O2 for my dupes at a reasonable temp.

The ting with aquatuners is you need some LOX to get started ;) 

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

The ting with aquatuners is you need some LOX to get started ;) 

I thought about the same thing but I'll still use an aqua tuner in my next design to cool the LOX before I store it for later use

6 hours ago, Kabrute said:

I think you can really boost speed by using  more regulators in a single line, mebe hook a bypass valve in there for when the temps below 230 so it only passes through 1 regulator to "maintain" your temps.  Your moving 1500 g/s through you "1" regulator "averaging" at a cost of 1kj/s so your cooling roughly 100g by 1c for 100joules per second if you add a second regulator to each loop you double your cooling factor while only raising total power consumption by 1/3 of your current consumption, that is 1.3xpower but 2x cooling and would fit into your current design on all but top floor without alteration....alternatively union your hydrogen chambers and make a "coolant rail" and go from 3pumps to 2, but 3 regs to 5 at the same total power cost but with a substantial increase in cooling factor

Working on another design and I plan to automate several regulators to improve the cooling factor

10 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Having a slush geyser would be nice. 

I had just 4 tame pufts consume all the p02 I could find along with an infectious geyser so I'd need to make even more if I wanted to lox it. 

Morbs are your friend.. get a couple of outhouses, have them get filled by your dupes and close of the door leading in. You'll be drownining in pO2 in no time once you bring in say 40 morbs.

On 16/04/2018 at 12:04 PM, Kabrute said:

I often use three regulator in line with bypass valve to use two and after only one regulator to prevent freezing, it's sure pretty efficient

Archived