Infinite research options

At this moment, if you have researched every item in the tree and your tenured scientist somehow dies, it's bye-bye to analizyng geysers, because you can't just raise another one (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, maybe there can be some "infinite" research options to get the job exp? Like maybe "studying gravity (gazing in awe as the small pieces of rock fall)", "studying microbes reproduce", "calculating possibility to avoid a heat death of the universe", "staring at the (imaginary unless surface gets added) stars down the telescope" etc.

2 hours ago, Pan_opticon said:

At this moment, if you have researched every item in the tree and your tenured scientist somehow dies, it's bye-bye to analizyng geysers, because you can't just raise another one (correct me if I'm wrong).

A dupe gains experience constantly just by wearing the hat :) So even if a dupe dies they can be replaced etc

10 hours ago, Pan_opticon said:

So, maybe there can be some "infinite" research options to get the job exp? Like maybe "studying gravity (gazing in awe as the small pieces of rock fall)", "studying microbes reproduce", "calculating possibility to avoid a heat death of the universe", "staring at the (imaginary unless surface gets added) stars down the telescope" etc.

one a job exp is full you can make it learn a new job, dude will keep the job capacity

2 hours ago, Flydo said:

one a job exp is full you can make it learn a new job, dude will keep the job capacity

I think the issue is more that the job becomes 100% obsolete after you complete research and analyze geysers.  The same can be said of artists.  Ideally a job would have uses throughout the game.

This could be a use for the computers found in ruins maybe? Have the computers with a research button that when you click on it would have a new technology tree written in an alien language that randomizes with each new colony/seed. You choose one and it has a crazy high value like 0/1000.

This would give you a way to train someone back to tenured scientist, but with a mysterious goal. Perhaps if you are able to complete it, there is something that leads to end game. Or maybe it allows an additional use of the neural vacilator. Maybe it even allows you to build items found in the ruins, like lockers (boost to a barracks) and vending machines (boost to a recreation room).

Maybe it allows you to use some of those previously unused mats to construct your own neural vacilator, but with potentially random effects. This could also allow you to create a room called "research center" up to 96 tiles which would require a network (computer, super computer, ruins computer) and a neural vacilator which could open up new jobs/genetics and allow a re-use for the stations after research is used up.

10 hours ago, Flydo said:

I know that I can do that. I'm talking about what happens when the only dupe with a learned "tenured scientist" job dies and there's no research left to do, but not all of the geysers have been analysed yet.

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Researcher probably benefits the most after switching jobs since they have a higher learning they will learn other skills faster as well.

Is what's in thinking at the moment, is it most valuable to begin with Researcher job?

If you don't, you won't be able to use the COMPUTER anyway and you'll have to wait for a 4th or 5th dupe who has enough LEARNING x) still researcher is the easiest job to level up... and then the one that became useless first in the end game... 

Even though you can change job, when it'll come the time you don't need reasercher anymore, you won't need another occupation in everything either... 

I may be wrong, but as move along in the game, I feel it is advantageous to diversify jobs.  So, for example,  all my diggers are mastering all other jobs as I run out of things to dig. Researching the scientist raises learning. Having higher learning, I believe, helps you gain other skills more quickly. Having an affinity for a job certainly makes you learn it faster, and I think I read learning does too. I am not running this experiment, as the variables would be hard to control.  But it may be true that having scientist has a secondary learning item may benefit you late game if you do have your dupes learn all skills.  Or, if you have a dupe die and need to learn something else quickly.  

I don't find courrier that useful, but cooking takes A DAMN LOT OF TIME, so you'd better have a COOKING +5 dupe at least.... Artist is not that useful, it only gives tiny bonuses for arts, and still you can deal without but cleaning stuff on the floor and having proper room layouts such as latrines.

Getting XP for farmers is also troublesome, and you have to get one in order to unlock RANCHER, so usualy I like starting with a Farmer sometimes.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:04 AM, Gurgel said:

Well, all my dupes get every job they can do, so I really do not see the problem.

Not everyone plays the game the way you do.  Just because you and I know how to avoid noob traps doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed by the developers.

Well, i`d say something additional - research for upgrading buildings to be more effective that demand exponentially more research with each tier

So researchers have eventual impact on gameplay (aside from abadoning research after its done), also research lab becomes useful in late game and not abadoned.

Archived