Futureproofing my base against tomorrow's patch

I'm still on my 5th base, over 250 cycles in Occupational Update patch. I've finally gotten exosuits for the first time and just starting to get oil.

Problem is I want to continue this base when the Ranching update comes in tomorrow and see if I can get to the endgame. I want to make sure nothing will be critically broken by fixing it in advance.

Presumably the save will still work? 

The new dupe priorities I should be able to figure out. I have a load of wild hatches in my base, and a few caves with pufts inside I'm going to use for automated slime collection later. I have loads of slicksters down in the oil fields. I guess the animals should all be ok as they are all just wild and roaming?

I understand I won't get new geysers as they're generated on spawn, but will the existing geysers in my sav now have dormancy periods? I'm using a natural gas geyser for most of my power generation so I'm worried about that.

Are there any other changes incoming tomorrow that could upset the resource economy balance in my base or other random stuff? Thanks.

you wont be able to get new geysers, the only geyser youll get are the cool steam fumarole, nat gas fumarole, and chlorine

or you can add them by debug with a minimum of 8 fumaroles including the ones you have

wait is the release tomorrow? they didn't post any twitch stream schedule, shouldn't they announce it first?

If you want to check how your base will fare in the new patch and what needs proofing, just switch to the preview branch in steam, load the map, play it, and watch what happens. Make sure you don't save the game, the only thing that can get overwritten will be autosaves. Then you can switch back to stable release and start your proofing.

But I too think it's better idea to start a new save.

How many geysers we get? I rolled out agricultular update from steam archives and i counted 16 TOTAL water+nat gas geysers! We got 16 geysers in agricultural update, now we get peanuts. I hope to have more in ranching update.

6 minutes ago, cpy said:

How many geysers we get? I rolled out agricultular update from steam archives and i counted 16 TOTAL water+nat gas geysers! We got 16 geysers in agricultural update, now we get peanuts. I hope to have more in ranching update.

There is enough for anything. Cook Oil, run a dazillion NG when you want. There are so many options. (2 or 3) ^^

@Jigsawn: Just create a new base. Otherwise you will have to stick to the old geysers.

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Biggest problem for me, with this preview is, that valves not working/adjustable by dupes..

Valves were supposed to be fixed in yesterdays hotfix. didnt it work?

1 hour ago, cpy said:

I guess - LCO2 (geys) -> slick -> oil -> lava(volc) -> CO/CH4 (nat. gas) -> CO2

I made some pics, while i built it.
It's called the Norheatinator, because output gastemp is 1°
I run the base with 5 dupes and it took from cycle 370 - 420 (roundabout)
gasgen!.thumb.jpg.b14922ae7cd370588721d470a9fccf03.jpggasgen2.thumb.jpg.b69e7270f56af415bff06d8e18d55560.jpggasgen3.thumb.jpg.a3443db5ca05db9380a9bd2aed75ceb4.jpggasgen4.thumb.jpg.7fa5c76db082e13637299f812f97956a.jpggasgen5.thumb.jpg.0d41743e96a80109412defcce0030c15.jpg

Just now, Jigsawn said:

I understand I won't get new geysers as they're generated on spawn, but will the existing geysers in my sav now have dormancy periods? I'm using a natural gas geyser for most of my power generation so I'm worried about that.

Yes, and their average output might become significantly lower. Its doable depending on how much dupe you have but you would most probably need to revise your water consumption & energy production.

Also wild critters in the update can be left alone but they are less productive, until tamed.

Thanks folks. I can't bear to give up this base as it's the first time I've got this far and only just got to the fun tech, and I play at normal speed so 270 cycles has taken over a week. I'm just starting to get to the good stuff!

Hmm, my natural gas geyser could be a big problem if on the upgrade it doesn't output so much, or goes dormant - it powers nearly all of my base right now keeping 3 nat gas generators running. I have found a steam geyser across the map, and have access to oil now, so I might be ok if I reconfigure for hydrogen power until I can get the infrastructure in place for the steam/petrol generator.

14 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

I can get the infrastructure in place for the steam/petrol generator.

Pitcher pump in magmachamber and bottle empty thing above oil (200 Kg Oil or it will take longer). Build some walls around, pump with filter, done.
No need for refinery..

OH NO! I love my base, im over cycle 320 and finally I'm trying to experiment with the Steam Turbine. But if the Ranching upgrade breaks my geysers then I will loose my already scarse water supply. I can manage without nat. gas but without water I'll die. I have 22 dupes!

@cpy I dont see how you wouldnt be able to sit with a 20 dupe colony? I have been throughout the experimental and I have not been struggling. 

Less output in some forms and more in others, or you can get lucky and just find even more geysers you want. 

Also you should still be able to run your old base on the new system, I do not know if Ranching will be available to you though or not. Also like you though, your old geysers will switch to having dormancies etc

I currently have 1 NG + 2W supplying my base, but I have 4M cal stored so I don't know how it will survive. It's 550th cycle so I'm pretty much done.

The only semi problematic thing in farming for me is PPP and micro fertilizer stations, when I set it too high one station can grab attention of all of my farmers (4). Shouldn't 1 station be using only 1 person at a time?

Well Natural gas wise if you only use one geyser, the two you usually find on the map should hopefully do you, Water I am not too sure about. I mean I seem to always find 2 cool steam fumaroles, then at least another 1 and a water geyser

Archived