Can sweeper load coal generators?

4 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

They are supplying feeders without problem but not doing anything with coal generators. 

they should unless you have dupes nearby to load the coal gens as well as sweepers won't work if a dupe is assigned their job

Coal generators work kind of like hamster wheel, so if they have a battery connected to them, they'll work until the battery is charged, then they'll stop asking for further coal until the battery is empty enough again.

If you want your coal generators to ask for coal constantly, don't put a battery beside them. Just connect them to a transformer. You can have another heavy wire and your battery bank (if you want one) behind that transformer.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

If you want your coal generators to ask for coal constantly, don't put a battery beside them. Just connect them to a transformer. You can have another heavy wire and your battery bank (if you want one) behind that transformer.

Wouldn't it be simpler to set the coal generator's battery recharge threshold to 100%? 

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Wouldn't it be simpler to set the coal generator's battery recharge threshold to 100%? 

As far as I remember, I tried both 100% and 0% and neither worked. Since I had other generators too (natural gas) the batteries were constantly full and the coal generators didn't activate.

Just now, Kasuha said:

As far as I remember, I tried both 100% and 0% and neither worked. Since I had other generators too (natural gas) the batteries were constantly full and the coal generators didn't activate.

I guess the other question would be why would you activate your coal generators if your batteries were full?  Wouldn't that waste coal?

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I guess the other question would be why would you activate your coal generators if your batteries were full?  Wouldn't that waste coal?

Because I wanted to get rid of the coal (produced by hatches, so technically infinite supply).

Just now, Neotuck said:

you could just keep them on a separate circuit hooked up to a lamp  

I think we're getting offtopic. Lamp or a transformer, the point is that if they don't have a battery directly connected, they run continuously.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

They are supplying feeders without problem but not doing anything with coal generators. 

Sweepers won't deliver coal to a coal gen that is disabled by automation - they'll only deliver it when the coal gen has run out of coal and is enabled by automation.

I.e. coal gens connected to a smart battery wont fill if the battery has toggled the gens off.

I've not had any issues with these simple setups in the current beta branch. I have a number of outposts like these around the map and the sweepers handle it just fine.

The smart battery is set to activate at 60% battery level and charge up to 100%.

Coal generator slider is set to 50% and the generators are priority 5.

The storage compactor gets filled by dupes at priority 4.

It plays out like this. When the battery reaches 60% the generator starts burning its contents. This repeats until the generator storage is completely empty. With no coal to burn the battery eventually goes right down below the 50% threshold. This triggers the arm to refill the generators from the storage compactor and the cycle repeats.

image.thumb.png.7566bba1fa42393bf32b09314eeb9020.png

image.thumb.png.0623d33f18dae2149749d186e2ba1802.png

57 minutes ago, Moggles said:

The smart battery is set to activate at 60% battery level and charge up to 100%.

You don't even need smart batteries and automation. The setting is right on the coal generator. It just works slightly differently.

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

You don't even need smart batteries and automation. The setting is right on the coal generator. It just works slightly differently.

not everyone wants to run coal gens continuously; some like to only run when needed.  

2 hours ago, chemie said:

not everyone wants to run coal gens continuously; some like to only run when needed.  

You don't have to run them continuously. As I wrote before, coal generators have similar battery level detection mechanism as hamster wheels. You don't need automation to shut them down. The only difference is that it'll just make them stop asking for coal, so you need to leave some reserve.

In this thread, the OP is asking why his auto sweeper arm doesn't feed the coal generators. So apparently, he wants them running.

Archived