Decor Expectations too high for certain jobs

I think that having higher decor expectations for dupes in high ranked jobs is a good idea. But in some cases it doesn't make much sense and is kind of frustrating. What do you think?

My main issues are with the Miner jobs, Architect jobs and Engineer jobs. Most of the time (if your base is doing ok) these dupes will be surrounded by debris, undecorated areas of the map, or ugly machines just by the very nature of their jobs. Miners spend their time on the edges of your base or digging out tunnels around the map. Architects are often building in newly dug-out areas long before anyone will sweep there. Engineers spend a lot of time in rooms with lots of machinery and not much space for decor. Having a miner stressed out due to lack of decor is especially exasperating - he's a miner for god's sake, he's supposed to spend his life in ugly, rock-filled places surrounded by debris!

Personally I think this should change. Dupes with jobs like that shouldn't logically get stressed out by poor decor. The higher tier manual labour jobs shouldn't have as high expectations as other jobs which take place mostly in your base, where you can make everything tidy and pretty.

The problem is, how do you then gate off high rank jobs for those roles and keep a sense of progression? And prevent players rushing their dupes to OP levels of job early on? Raising their food quality expectation doesn't make much sense in the same way as decor doesn't make sense. Maybe some other requirement should be needed like better sleeping chambers or a bigger calory consumption for miners and their kin? What do you think?

3 minutes ago, Jigsawn said:

I think that having higher decor expectations for dupes in high ranked jobs is a good idea. But in some cases it doesn't make much sense and is kind of frustrating. What do you think?

My main issues are with the Miner jobs, Architect jobs and Engineer jobs. Most of the time (if your base is doing ok) these dupes will be surrounded by debris, undecorated areas of the map, or ugly machines just by the very nature of their jobs. Miners spend their time on the edges of your base or digging out tunnels around the map. Architects are often building in newly dug-out areas long before anyone will sweep there. Engineers spend a lot of time in rooms with lots of machinery and not much space for decor. Having a miner stressed out due to lack of decor is especially exasperating - he's a miner for god's sake, he's supposed to spend his life in ugly, rock-filled places surrounded by debris!

Personally I think this should change and the higher tier manual labour jobs shouldn't have as high expectations as other jobs which take place mostly in your base, where you can make everything tidy and pretty.

The problem is, how do you then gate off high rank jobs for those roles? Raising their food quality expectation doesn't make much sense in the same way as decor doesn't make sense. Maybe some other requirement should be needed like better sleeping chambers or a bigger calory consumption? What do you think?

Yeah mostly miners I wish we could get better decor clothing

I'm personally irritated by the politics inherent in making quality-of-life expectations dependent on job title. I won't write a wall of text about it here but it does annoy me.

That aside, I agree that the stress mechanic feels a little under-baked right now. Different decor expectations for different environments would make a lot of sense, but I have to imagine it would be a huge technical challenge to implement something like that. As a human it's easy to look at a space and say "this is a mine shaft, debris is OK" in one case and "this is a hallway, debris is ugly" in the other. Quantifying that for a computer program is harder.

On the other hand, playing on normal difficulty, I haven't had any problem at all with stress. I build art in the barracks and mess hall, and I sweep pretty diligently, but that's about it. Never had to build a massage table or had a dupe stress behavior go off. Am I doing something unusual? Are most people who experience difficulty managing stress playing on harder modes?

I think stress is actually undertuned.  A picture above your bed and two statues on each side almost entirely negates stress in my experience.

However, I feel open space should be beautiful for dupes since they are camped up in an asteroid.  Open space is currently neutral though.

Once you slap a snazzy suit on someone it's like they have -65 decor expectation so I genuinely don't struggle for decor stress.

However, I do think it makes more sense that a "Miner" wouldn't expect high decor or food and we could maybe drop the seasoned miner to a Tier 4.

Actually I am hoping there are eventually going to be more restrictions applied to jobs and tasks.   Right now the only high tier job needed is the exosuit ... oh and I guess we'll have tenured scientist now for geysers.  There is really no reason to get a top tier miner or a to p tier farmer and only very limited reasons for scientist (no reason to master it).

7 hours ago, itsYiyas said:

Once you slap a snazzy suit on someone it's like they have -65 decor expectation so I genuinely don't struggle for decor stress.

Which is still very odd for a miner. Miner's are stressed, except when they go mine in a tuxedo? Maybe early bird trait miners mine in morning suits?

Archived