Water! (Finally, no more thirst meter!)

Hmm, how about something like, the stomach icon having a light blue colour, which is the water? Here is an example :[ATTACH=CONFIG]3309[/ATTACH]Water at 100[ATTACH=CONFIG]3310[/ATTACH]Water at 60There is both water and hunger, and i think they kinda match :3(By the way, i really liked your ideas about the ways to gather water mobius!)"Why have a bucket when you can make... a WATER TAP,and a glass" ;P

This one would be the perfect blend of aesthetically pleasing and functional! I like it.

Also we haven't discussed all the aspects of where consumable liquids would originate. Let's start with stating that you cannot drink from the sea on account of all its salt. That leaves ponds, which already exist, and rivers, which don't exist yet. Also, a third option are wells which the player would be able to craft.To transport water we discussed various methods, starting with the wooden bucket, and then my casual references to: clay pots, canteens, and waterskins. Of those Kevin was the one who mentioned clay pots in reference to his discussion on "rot" and storing/preserving foods. However I could easily see it serving a dual purpose to carry/store liquids, like water. A canteen seems unlikely, especially when compared to the alternative, the waterskin. I could certainly see a waterskin added, especially if the Devs ever include skinning animals for their pelts (which I still think is the way to go for crafting the Backpack, rather than using grass).

I like the idea of rivers a lot and being able to craft a well sounds good too. I would also like to be able to get pelts from animals. Yeah it does make more sense to craft a backpack from pelts then grass.I just thought of something if rivers are added maybe we should have a stronger fishing rod because rivers are usually moving compared to ponds. That is if we are allowed to fish in the rivers. Edited by iluvfuzz
adding idea

Hmm, how about something like, the stomach icon having a light blue colour, which is the water?

There is both water and hunger, and i think they kinda match :3

Well it's certainly an option, although it looks like our tummy is just full of water and I'm sure nay-sayers would complain. Still any idea that combines thirst/hunger into one meter cannot be dismissed since combining the two appears the be the best option right now, that is, if the Devs even address the matter of thirst.

(By the way, i really liked your ideas about the ways to gather water mobius!)

Thanks. To be honest I'm not sure how many are my ideas and how many are from other forum members who posted their own suggestions over the months. I try not to take all the credit. ;)

"Why have a bucket when you can make... a WATER TAP,and a glass" ;P

Are you asking for a water cooler? If so, who would Wilson have to talk next to it about sports and gossip...?

Okay:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3360[/ATTACH]

Hrm, unfortunately this was the original suggestion we presented many months ago, so in that regard you had people who agreed with you. However the Devs clearly stated they didn't want to add any additional new meter beyond the Sanity meter. The main reason is they didn't want players to have to manage too many meters... turning the game into the Sims where all you do is manage "Needs" all day. That's why we're trying to combine the Thirst meter into the Hunger meter... a two-in-one deal to reduce its impact on the player's attention. This way they both do the same job (i.e. keep you from starving), but act and are acquired in different ways.

Oh well, this doesn't look bad, but what they are trying to do, is not create another one of these round things (don't remember the name xD)

Meters. I've also called them gauges too.

I like the idea of rivers a lot and being able to craft a well sounds good too. I would also like to be able to get pelts from animals. Yeah it does make more sense to craft a backpack from pelts then grass.

Yes, that's what another thought when he first suggested pelts. The idea is that pelts fell into two types: large and small. For example, a rabbit would give you a small pelt, while a beefalo or kaolaphant would give you a large pelt. This is also why players have been suggesting more animals be added so we could increase the number of source for pelts.

I just thought of something if rivers are added maybe we should have a stronger fishing rod because rivers are usually moving compared to ponds. That is if we are allowed to fish in the rivers.

Sure, why not? Another forum member over in another thread recently suggested adding fishing nets to be used for rivers.

In reply to of mobius' original reply' date=' I believe there should be springs, instead of wells. And, even then, you would need a.. pump! Yes, a pump of sorts to be able to be able to draw water. If this were the case, I would suggest a recipe of 4 Planks, and 3 Reeds.[/quote']

A pump or well, both work and I would be happy with either. I think I like the well idea because we already had cut stone, wooden boards, and rope... while adding a bucket could several a dual purpose. The first as a wooden bucket you use to carry water or other liquids (i.e. honey, maple syrup, rubber tree sap, ect) and a second role as a component in building a well (i.e. the crafting recipe could be: cut stones + rope + wooden boards + bucket). But yeah, a water pump is still a good idea as it serves the same purpose.

I also liek your idea about springs. Originally I assumed the player could just dig a well anywhere... but that could be abused. However, if the player can only place a well, or water pump, on a spot where a water spring is, then players might place their base camp with this in mind. In short, it makes the players think more carefully and I like that.

This one would be the perfect blend of aesthetically pleasing and functional! I like it.

Thanks, i though of making something simple, since the half thirst - half water doesn't look so good to me tbh :p

Well it's certainly an option, although it looks like our tummy is just full of water and I'm sure nay-sayers would complain. Still any idea that combines thirst/hunger into one meter cannot be dismissed since combining the two appears the be the best option right now, that is, if the Devs even address the matter of thirst.

Oh well, it doesn't look that great, but i think it would be an easy solution. By the way, for people that won't like this, because the tummy looks full of water, they should know that the human body is 70% of water! Here is the solution to that ;pAlso, thirst is something that is really realistic and great in a survival game, so i believe that we are gona see a "Thirst metter" in the game soon (since we got even a sanity one :p)!(By the way, i got another idea, gona post it later since i don't have time for PhotoShop currently.)

Thanks. To be honest I'm not sure how many are my ideas and how many are from other forum members who posted their own suggestions over the months. I try not to take all the credit.

Oh well, forgive me then, let me say it right this time : I really like your ideas mobius, and the ones the other members posted! :p

Are you asking for a water cooler? If so, who would Wilson have to talk next to it about sports and gossip...?

Beats me...

New idea!!![ATTACH=CONFIG]3410[/ATTACH]Thirst 100[ATTACH=CONFIG]3411[/ATTACH]Thirst 40Ok, i liked the previous one more, but i think that's also not that bad

Police! He stole my water! :pNice idea, looks interesting. Edited by SiCkness

Adding the Thirst would be the 5th thing you have to manage with ...While five balls for juggling seems still low, i think new players will be swamped.In Addition,Thirst only adds to the 'hunger' section and doesnt add a new perspective like sanity or warmth.I think something like a 'Sleep'o'meter' would overtrump the Thirst, so i dont see it coming ...

New players should be swamped, it's kind of the point of the game.

Everyone wanting to save the poor new player, nobody saved me from the grue when I went out in the darkness, nobody told me I needed a spear and armor before the hounds came, nobody told me about tier 2/3 nests and the evil yellow spiders that jumped all over my poor guy and made me rage.

It's almost like everyone thinks new players are just stupid and can't learn from their mistakes.

If this applies to someone they won't like the game anyway, and I'd rather that be the case than the game be so easy it becomes boring. (Cough insanity hotfix Cough.)

So anyway, I was told to support this thread and I do. :)

New players should be swamped, it's kind of the point of the game.

Everyone wanting to save the poor new player, nobody saved me from the grue when I went out in the darkness, nobody told me I needed a spear and armor before the hounds came, nobody told me about tier 2/3 nests and the evil yellow spiders that jumped all over my poor guy and made me rage.

It's almost like everyone thinks new players are just stupid and can't learn from their mistakes.

If this applies to someone they won't like the game anyway, and I'd rather that be the case than the game be so easy it becomes boring. (Cough insanity hotfix Cough.)

So anyway, I was told to support this thread and I do. :)

It's just a way you choose to play. If someone wants help asks for help.

I didn't want anyone to tell me what to do, it' s not fun that way : D

New idea!!!

Ok, i liked the previous one more, but i think that's also not that bad :p

Your idea is interesting, although it begs the question: Is Thirst connected to Hunger or its own concern? The problem I forsee is that your meter, while connected to the Hunger/Stomach meter, appears to be tracking Thirst on its own... insomuch as I assume when Thirst reaches 0 it has some negative impact on the player.

Unfortunately I think the Devs may object to this, as they've stated they didn't want to include another meter for players to track. It wasn't just a metter of screen real estate they were trying to manage, but rather they didn't want players to have to worry about Thirst in addition to Hunger, Health, and Sanity. It's for this very reason I suggested combining Thirst into Hunger, not as it's own meter, but as another aspect of Hunger (i.e. liquid & solid "food", or nutrients, required to live). In this way the player has to only worry about not starving, and they would do this by eating and drinking.

Guys, these are all great ideas for the Thirst meter, I would love to have this in-game, but I remember reading that the devs didnĀ“t want to add a thirst gauge at all.

Exactly. The Devs don't want to turn the game into the Sims where you spend most of your time managing Needs. I think they've drawn the line at 3 meters: Health, Hunger, and Sanity. I don't believe they intend to add any new meters, which is why my suggestion was to combine Thirst into Hunger by allowing players to drink liquids and these liquids, while a part of Hunger, would still function differently than solid foods eaten by the player.

Adding the Thirst would be the 5th thing you have to manage with ...

While five balls for juggling seems still low, i think new players will be swamped.

Fifth...? Oh, warmth. I forgot all about that. Oddly enough it was among the list of original meters suggested months ago. I had also backed the idea that during Winter the player needed to either dress warmly or stay near a fire, however rather than rely on a new meter (as by this stage we had assumed more meters weren't likely to be coming to the game) I suggested it would slowly deplete the character's Health instead.

I think something like a 'Sleep'o'meter' would overtrump the Thirst, so i dont see it coming ...

The Nintendo DS game, Lost in Blue (survival game), used a Stamina meter for that purpose... requiring the player to sleep or risk fainting due to exhaustion. Still, I'm leery about adding more meters to manage. Before long we'll have the Poo Meter. :p

The Nintendo DS game, Lost in Blue (survival game), used a Stamina meter for that purpose... requiring the player to sleep or risk fainting due to exhaustion. Still, I'm leery about adding more meters to manage. Before long we'll have the Poo Meter.

DonĀ“t forget the pee meter.

I would want some foods give more water than others (like meaty stew since it is stew I think it should give more than like meat) and there would be like different drinks too than water like milk and you could make like a teapot or a coffeemaker and you could farm like coffee beans and tea leaves

Wait someone said something about a pump from reeds and twigs or something (I forgot) but what about a Shaduf http://www.wigmore-pri.hereford.sch.uk/images/Shaduf10.jpg Egyptians used it to get water from the River Nile

Egyptians made the counter weight with stone or clay or other materials and then a bucket of some sort such as a skin bag.

It allowed them to get water easily, just dropping this out there

Edited by xXGamer128Xx