Question About Watttage 1k vs 2K?

There is much debate I have heard, Apparently a transformer can "Hold" a max of 1000 Joules but can transfer up to 4kw. I dont know if this is true or not, Currently I run about 1.4-1.5kw through a single transformer and it seems to be holding out

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

If you have a battery charged by a transformer your circuit can then draw 2kW from the battery.  I like to use a smart battery to cut the heavy wire to the transformer to prevent excess heat buildup 

20180314102843_1.thumb.jpg.c90986dcc03f4530f6138619cc29acfc.jpg

That is interesting. I usually just hook up the smart battery to the generators. Hmmm. 

P. S. what is that green thing in the picture that is hooked up by automation?

19 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

There is much debate I have heard, Apparently a transformer can "Hold" a max of 1000 Joules but can transfer up to 4kw. I dont know if this is true or not, Currently I run about 1.4-1.5kw through a single transformer and it seems to be holding out

Wow, the 1000 J capacity in the game's description sure is misleading. I was assuming 1000 J per tick (1 second) is exactly what a WATT is; 1000 J/s is 1000 watts. I've been playing this game wrong... I was hooking up two transformers for my 2 kW lines when I only had to do one.

37 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

So we have wire that can only handle a maximum of 1K W and other wire that can handle 2k watts. But what about the transformer? It can only handle a max of 1000 Joules which I understand is merely 1000 watts as well. 

If I remember rightly :  

1000j = 1000watts per second.

Transformers send power every tick, and in ONI there are 4 ticks in a second.

Maximum a single transformer can deliver is 4kw - however you must have at least one battery on the circuit side to receive this excess.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

If I remember rightly :  

Maximum a single transformer can deliver is 4kw - however you must have at least one battery on the circuit side to receive this excess.

wow nice thanks for confirming and explaining it :)   

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

If I remember rightly :  

It's the opposite, 1000 W = 1000 J per second.

Taken from wikipedia :

Power is the rate at which energy is generated or consumed and hence is measured in units (e.g. watts) that represent energy per unit time.

For example, when a light bulb with a power rating of 100W is turned on for one hour, the energy used is 100 watt hours (W·h), 0.1 kilowatt hour, or 360 kJ. This same amount of energy would light a 40-watt bulb for 2.5 hours, or a 50-watt bulb for 2 hours.

6 minutes ago, Argelle said:

image.png.4e46fc9c80aa82ca5ac84e94e3604864.png

Does this mean up to 4 low voltage wires can be hooked up to the transformer?? (but only space for three, to the right, top and down)

(and make separate 1000W lines)

there's space for 4, wouldn't work anyways as the one in the middle would have to handle the load of all 4kW20180314111256_1.thumb.jpg.38166368740752d9ec65df82955ef68d.jpg

7 minutes ago, Argelle said:

image.png.4e46fc9c80aa82ca5ac84e94e3604864.png

Does this mean up to 4 low voltage wires can be hooked up to the transformer?? (but only space for three, to the right, top and down)

(and make separate 1000W lines)

No, the three lines you have should all count as 1 at the point of contact, Limiting you to 1kw.

4 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

It's the opposite, 1000 W = 1000 J per second.

Taken from wikipedia :

Yeah, the details were hazey as I wrote it, but I phrased it that way as the transformers display joules ingame, but output as watts.

image.thumb.png.ccc999c831e80b9e0e6a629027a5a6c5.png

I'm not an electrician as you may have guessed by now :D 

1 minute ago, R9MX4 said:

In OC upgrade, devs changed the game tick from 0.25 to 0.2.

From then a transformer can handle 1kw*5=5kw, not 4kw anymore.

This is interesting though - where was this documented ?

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Yeah, the details were hazey as I wrote it, but I phrased it that way as the transformers display joules ingame, but output as watts.

He probably looked up the code of the game or calculated it via frame by frame test

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Hey @Lifegrow I been meaning to ask why you don't use your smart batteries to cut power to the transformers when they are full? this will cut both power and heat waste by a large amount in your base, here's an example:

20180314102836_1.thumb.jpg.e76620906b8ef8f495b950ae48655fc4.jpg

Just now, Neotuck said:

Hey @Lifegrow I been meaning to ask why you don't use your smart batteries to cut power to the transformers when they are full? this will cut both power and heat waste by a large amount in your base, here's an example:

Short answer - because 5w is nothing, and I cool my stuff passively with some wheezeworts in hydrogen (from my hydrogen gen room)

image.thumb.png.4f8c922b2cdaca347a99e20b7ff65bfb.png

Shorter answer - i'm lazyaf :D 

10 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-alpha/

[Game Update] - 254439

It said " World simulation speed increased by 20%, meaning liquids and gases can flow up to 20% faster."

What they didn't say is that the game tick has shrunk 20% and actually the World simulation is 25% faster. So a transformer can handle 5 instead of 4 * 1kw per second.

1 minute ago, R9MX4 said:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-alpha/

[Game Update] - 254439

It said " World simulation speed increased by 20%, meaning liquids and gases can flow up to 20% faster."

What they didn't say is that the game tick has shrunk 20%.

Fixes and Updates

• World simulation speed increased by 20%, meaning liquids and gases can flow up to 20% faster.
  • Fixed several issues with simulation being framerate dependant.

Hnnnnnngh, why I no see dis... And you've confirmed this in the code too ?

It explains why I've been getting weird behaviour with liquid pumps that was baffling me.

The transformer can power up to 4kw. However, it's important to put in batteries after the transformer because any pull on the net above 1kw will result in the devices on that net shutting down. Batteries fix that problem.

Honestly, the transformer description needs an update. This is info you will not find ingame.

Archived