ONI - A short guide to neat piping

11 minutes ago, midjones said:

Thanks for the video! I'm sure lots of OCD people like myself benefit from neater piping

Ketmol: if you hold shift while dragging pipes/vents it will keep them in a straight line (noticed you struggled with that a few times in the vid)

Haha nice.. i did not know that.. I always use wasd to move screen instead when making longer straight pipes... but this is better 

I think the reason a lot of people don't use bridges like this is because for a long time bridges were broken in terms of heat transfer and lag.

Even bridges made out of abyssalite would radiate the temperature of their contents, and until only very recently they were doing strange things like heating up tiles that they passed through...

They also used to lag your world out before the new "packet in transit" animations/changes were brought in, so if you had a big base with lots of bridged piping you'd feel a heavy fps hit.

Personally I hate the aesthetics of a thousand bridges dotted around your base - and with better base planning you should never really need to use so many, unless you have a compact system where you're tight on space.

15 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

I think the reason a lot of people don't use bridges like this is because for a long time bridges were broken in terms of heat transfer and lag.

Even bridges made out of abyssalite would radiate the temperature of their contents, and until only very recently they were doing strange things like heating up tiles that they passed through...

They also used to lag your world out before the new "packet in transit" animations/changes were brought in, so if you had a big base with lots of bridged piping you'd feel a heavy fps hit.

Personally I hate the aesthetics of a thousand bridges dotted around your base - and with better base planning you should never really need to use so many, unless you have a compact system where you're tight on space.

Sure. But spacing 2 vertical pipes with one tile in between and crossing a pipe use two bridges. Making a "tunnel" takes two bridges. ..same amount of bridges..

However preparing the crossings like I do, and also make breaking points to be able to cut and edit pipes without leakage use more bridges. 

6 hours ago, Ketmol said:

Sure. But spacing 2 vertical pipes with one tile in between and crossing a pipe use two bridges. Making a "tunnel" takes two bridges. ..same amount of bridges..

However preparing the crossings like I do, and also make breaking points to be able to cut and edit pipes without leakage use more bridges. 

It's personal preference basically - I normally build most systems externally to my "living area" so that I don't have to have more than 3 or 4 different pipes coming in/out of my main base. I.e. clean water in, polluted water out, oxygen in, mixed waste gasses out. Everything else can either be detoured externally, or set up in a way that too many crossings aren't necessary.

Don't get me wrong - there are "spaghetti junction" areas where I've chosen to do all my crossings, however I often don't want to look at them frequently :D 

Archived