in-base natural gas generator

Here's my new base:

5a8eedffb2de2_OxygenNotIncludedScreenshot2018_02.22-19_49_43_36.thumb.png.8cf56025797197c274254384f941ecce.png

And as many of you friends in klei forum know there's a natural gas geyser on the bottom left.

The question is how can I make a perfect system there?

There are some overheating problems with the pump and piping I think.

notes: the whole area around natural gas generators on the bottom right is made of abyssalite, and the pump overheats occasionally. 

save file (in case you want to test things): 

Unstoppable Utopia.sav

1 minute ago, Arash70 said:

Overheating problems, if you look closely that gas pump often breaks so do the piping in there

Ahhh sorry, I didn't see what you were actually asking - all geysers will eventually overheat even gold pumps unless you actively cool them a little.

Solution : Cool them a little :p 

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Ahhh sorry, I didn't see what you were actually asking - all geysers will eventually overheat even gold pumps unless you actively cool them a little.

Solution : Cool them a little :p 

are 2 wheezeworts enough to cool them?

1 minute ago, Arash70 said:

are 2 wheezeworts enough to cool them?

Depends how you use them. You can cool a steam geyser down enough to not cook your pumps with just two wheezeworts, however the trick is to have the water fall away as quickly as possible and use them solely to cool the steam itself.

With natural gas geysers I normally try and keep at least 1kg of gas in the chamber paired with a single wheeze, that's usually enough.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Depends how you use them. You can cool a steam geyser down enough to not cook your pumps with just two wheezeworts, however the trick is to have the water fall away as quickly as possible and use them solely to cool the steam itself.

With natural gas geysers I normally try and keep at least 1kg of gas in the chamber paired with a single wheeze, that's usually enough.

I'm failing miserably there too :D

That's actually a pretty good idea, putting wheezeworts + mesh tiles on top so the steam condenses.

Two worts and a few tempshift plates are doing fine job cooling the NG geyser output for me. They stay at about 50 C but that's fine for sending the gas to NG generators.

As for NG generators, I splash 40 C polluted water from CO2 scrubbers on them. That keeps them from overheating even though they're in abyssalite chamber. And scrubbers of course get CO2 generated by the generators. If you want to sent the CO2 to slicksters, you need to find a different way of cooling the generators but there are many options.

With automation on generators being so simple now - I've been advising people make sure they get in the habit of stockpiling excess gasses - makes handling things like those "power heavy coooler-priming" sessions much more manageable. Also gives you some buffer time if you have to tinker with any of your power setups. 

image.thumb.png.b8b7427938cc88211f5caf611d71ea58.png

Both my natural gas geysers meet in here, then a single pump sends it to my generators when needed.

image.thumb.png.e3ab195f64db2a0ea3c79a23237cc0cd.png

2 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

With automation on generators being so simple now - I've been advising people make sure they get in the habit of stockpiling excess gasses - makes handling things like those "power heavy coooler-priming" sessions much more manageable. Also gives you some buffer time if you have to tinker with any of your power setups. 

Both my natural gas geysers meet in here, then a single pump sends it to my generators when needed.

I made one for hydrogen (since I got loads of hydrogen on top of my base) using some water, and interestingly it stopped working after a while, water disappeared!

Just now, Arash70 said:

I made one for hydrogen (since I got loads of hydrogen on top of my base) using some water, and interestingly it stopped working after a while, water disappeared!

use oil instead - has a much more generous temp range (safer).

I use the setup in this vid pretty much everywhere now, have never had a single one fail - except for a blob of ice due to the now (hopefully fixed) drop bug....

id suggest using  fertilizer maker in chamber with natgas geyser - 20 g/s form fetr makes is enough to bring down input to pump to 120-C(if ratio is 1 fert maker- 1 generator) what is enough for pump from amalgum to handle, bonus polluted water disposal.

31 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I do something similar I always use a single gas line but I use pipe bridges to prioritize geysers over the fert room.I also have power on smart batteries so I have more gas and polluted water than I know what to do with.

19 minutes ago, Arash70 said:

So the natural gas geyser + 2 wheezeworts work, what about steam geyser?

I'm testing things out and this doesn't seem to work

image.thumb.png.12064b4f07e9564ea7e217d42d872639.png

Mine works fine - I separate the chambers - in this example the top chamber with the worts has a bit of hydrogen - then the middle airlock opens if the bottom chamber goes below 80 degrees.

Middle chamber has my geyser and a little bit of hydrogen in the room.

Bottom chamber is for excess water. I like to keep my geysers well drained.

Doesn't have to be hydrogen, most gasses work fine :

image.thumb.png.4f916b3df49cd0a7bd00680fc5b8cfab.png

Watch the video I linked you ;) 

The trick is to make them 2 deep - fill the bottom tile with 870kg of oil, then upto 1.9kg of oil on the 2nd tile (in front of the vent).

Because crude oil can overpressurise so easily, the oil gets temporarily "bounced" in front of the vent into the lower tile, and gives a much better result. Also is never lost on save/load - which the standard 1-deep-vent build used to suffer from (i.e. if the liquid was displaced at the moment you saved/loaded, it would vanish on load)

This way is better - simple as that ;) 

Ok, here's how I do it - there is a convoluted way of doing it with pipes, valves, and deconstruction - but i'm normally too lazy to bother with that malarkey, and once you've done it a few times it's easy. :D 

Pump in 4 full 200kg bottles of oil into the bottom tile - then when the 5th get's delivered you have to watch the liquid levels like a hawk :) Put the game on slow, and when the bottom tile get's to like 868/869kg, hit pause, go to your bottle emptier and untick oil. That'll instantly eject the oil and whatever is currently already "falling" will be your last few grams needed.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived