Wireless transmission of automation signal

After running a very long automation wire from my base to a pump at a distant geyser this evening I'm not fully on board with this idea.  Give us transmitters and receivers with a range of frequencies and we're good to go.  I would limit the number of frequencies to 9 to keep automation wires from obsolescence.

6 hours ago, goboking said:

After running a very long automation wire from my base to a pump at a distant geyser this evening I'm not fully on board with this idea.  Give us transmitters and receivers with a range of frequencies and we're good to go.  I would limit the number of frequencies to 9 to keep automation wires from obsolescence.

Just make transmitters and receivers use electricity (120 W perhaps?) should be enough to prevent obsolescence of wires.

1 hour ago, Kuirem said:

Just make transmitters and receivers use electricity (120 W perhaps?) should be enough to prevent obsolescence of wires.

Why is important to keep wires from being obsoleted? Is wiring stuff really an important gameplay element? If players find it fun to run wires, they will still do it. If they don't enjoy it, why force them to?

But, assuming it's desirable to balance transmitters against wires, power use would certainly be one way to do it. Another is material requirements for transmitters; if they cost a relatively large amount of metal then people will still use wires for short runs.

7 hours ago, goboking said:

to keep automation wires from obsolescence.

I don't think that's necessary. If one would replace every wire with wireless transmission, the circuit would be nearly impossible to debug / maintain / extend.

Having the transmitter and the receiver each cost the same as 10 wire segments would be more than sufficient for the balance.

5 hours ago, Rotintin said:

With the new geysers all over the map, I was thinking of how useful this would be now and remembered this post. Bumping thread!

Yeah it would be great, What I have actually gotten into the habit of doing recently is having a power generator outside it (Natural Gas Gen if its Natural Gas) with a smart battery hooked up to it, so the pump will run sending the gas to my base when a certain pressure is reached for x amount of time. Once the battery is drained below 10% the Nat gas generator kicks into life powering the battery and repeating this cycle.

It works just as well at the moment though so I cannot complain

Sounds like a great addition, If the cost of these devices was on par with the cost of 10-20 segments of wire I don't think they would make wire obsolete. There are plenty of ways to tweak their cost/benefit. Maybe adding a little plastic to their construction, or power use.

Archived