What all does shipwreck compatibility mean?

Every new game it asks me if I want to make the game shipwreck compatible. But the wording is vague and I really don't know what it entails/what I am deciding.

Does it mean shipwreck crockpot and crafting recipes are available where they wouldn't be otherwise?(for those that have ingredients you can get in giant) Anything else?

What exactly does it mean for mod compatibility?

• Developer
Just now, truepurple said:

Every new game it asks me if I want to make the game shipwreck compatible. But the wording is vague and I really don't know what it entails/what I am deciding.

It means you'll be able to make a portal to the SW world and SW items and recipes will be made available. An incompatible world will never get anything SW-related through normal means.

2 minutes ago, truepurple said:

That brings me to another question. I do remember reading about connecting worlds like that. But I have no idea about it.

How do you make these portals? Does it require a mod?

Its in the shadow manipulator. no mods needed. Its called the sea worther.

35 minutes ago, truepurple said:

If shipwreck compatible mode, are these recipes in the giants world if available ingredients there? Or are they only available or unlocked once you make and/or go through the portal?

Crock pot recipes are there from the get go. most items added by sw can only be made in the sw world tho.

Do the items go back and forth? Can you bring SW items back to RoG? Can you go back and forth freely with the portals? Does the seasons change while in SW or does the change of season wait for you to come back?  

If you started in SW, can you go from SW to plain/RoG? If so, which is it, RoG or plain?

On 21/02/2018 at 4:30 AM, truepurple said:

Do the items go back and forth?

Yes

Can you bring SW items back to RoG?

Yes

Can you go back and forth freely with the portals?

Yes

Does the seasons change while in SW or does the change of season wait for you to come back?  

It does change while you're in the other world. They don't synchronise though. Klei tried to make them synchronise, in a sense that if you went to RoG/Vanilla world while in SW during Monsoon season, it would always be the beginning of Autumn every year when you would have Monsoon season at the time you entered (at least that's how it was the last time I remember), but it didn't work... well, it does work, until you exist the game without saving, which is when it breaks and you have seasons going wrong. Plus, the game won't remember that the last time it saved, you were in RoG/Vanilla world when you move to SW, don't save and exit, it just knows when you are in SW and when you are in RoG/Vanilla, so if you do that, and end up at Seaworthy instead of wherever you needed to be in RoG/Vanilla world, that's probably why.

None of the above paragraph probably made any sense, but it's what Klei put themselves into due to the whole weird synchronisation system. If we had it all in one world, this really wouldn't be that big of a problem.

You can plant palm trees and jungle trees in ROG. This means that you can have snakes and palm tree gaurds in ROG.

You can also plant bamboo and vines in ROG. You can't craft anything with them, but you can use them for decoration.

You can place snakeskin flooring in ROG, but have to craft the flooring in SW. You can transfer turf between the worlds.

You can bring any base item you want from SW to ROG, and you can bring any crafted item from SW to ROG, and you can use the item. For example, you can use the brain of thought to craft ancient items in ROG, or you can combine the shark fin hat with the walking cane for even more speed. You can also plant and use coffee in ROG.

Structures cannot be brought over. You can't build a Obsidian firepit, for example. One interesting quirk is that you cannt craft a bore house in ROG, but there is a bore house set piece that can appear in ROG rarely.

Archived