Cooling Steam Geyser with 3 weezes

I wanted to cool down the steam from a geyser, and by accident figured out how you could cool down the water down to sub-zero degrees in the process. 

The water does not break pipes, even though it is below freezing point.

I call it a Carbon Bubbler :D

20180215203200_1.thumb.jpg.135a388ecea3fbf7ac742ffeae6836b2.jpg

Basically it cooles down CO2 down to the point where it liquifies, the liquid CO2 then drips down into the water tank, cooling it rapidly and in the process becoming a gas again, while cooling the water in it's decent to the top of the tank. At this point it becomes a rinse and repeat kinda thing. 20180215203207_1.thumb.jpg.f803914afd687cedc625a2b3c2b38e72.jpg

The liquification of the carbon dioxide is so rapid, that it creates a vacuum at the end of the chamber for extend periods of time, This again helps with drawing in more Carbon Dioxide.

20180215203217_1.thumb.jpg.334133b977ff9086027054022cc717bf.jpg

I hope someone else can use this, it seems quite strong given i only use 3 weezes to power it.

Water is used for oxygen and toilets + wash sinks. 

I'm unable to figure out how much water i actually use on the oxygen generation, But maybe someone smarter then me can do the math ? - in case this is of interest for someone.

20180215204325_1.thumb.jpg.bf477e3c50369dd8e9b00e83b915d3dc.jpg

Just now, Oozinator said:

Creative solution ^^
Why is the water not freezing?

Oh it is, but just not as fast as the geyser can replenish the water, i guess?

There is 20t ice at the foot of the pump, and that is just 1 lump. the whole bottom of the water tank has ice lumps in it.

48 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

Another type of drip cooling, or I'd prefer calling it heat deletion.

Ah.  Well, heat deletion through drip cooling seems impossible to avoid. :(.  Although, heat deletion is essential in the game unfortunately.  Earth doesn't overheat because we radiate heat in to space.  There is no equivalent to that in this game, so heat will keep building up until the colonies die unless we can delete some.

@SkunkMaster Nice setup.  Have you considered moving the water away from the geyser though?  Because I think the high pressure of the CO2 will stop the geyser from producing steam, which reduces the water output a little.  The effect isn't that big, but it would be nice to get all the water possible.

Even if it does rely on an exploit, it's still a great system. Even if they fix that exploit, it will still go a long way towards keeping the heat down off that geysey, a very rough form of precooling for another system perhaps. 

Great idea, likely useful (to some degree) regardless of future changes. 

2 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

There is 20t ice at the foot of the pump, and that is just 1 lump. the whole bottom of the water tank has ice lumps in it.

Could you explain how you do this?  I've heard of people using ice to cool (makes total sense, lol), but I'm not sure what they're doing.  Is it ice sculptures?

the ice is a byproduct of the extreme cooling going on. The liquid CO2 - (-56 to -64  *C) drips into the water. A bug in the thermodynamics causes a large mass of water to rapidly cool because a small mass of a colder liquid is dripping into it.

6 minutes ago, Tasolth said:

A bug in the thermodynamics causes a large mass of water to rapidly cool because a small mass of a colder liquid is dripping into it.

Ahhh, that's crazy, was wondering why it was so effective.

- I thought it was cooling so much because it was about 1kg of super cooled liquid.

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

@SkunkMaster Can you please share thermal overlay pics?

ofc 

20180216000525_1.thumb.jpg.40e4004c557a308fc4d7aa6aa90b7d51.jpg

1 hour ago, Tasolth said:

I rather like it, nice and easy. Ice is a problem, but that can be overcome in other ways.

hmm, i don't know if i would call the ice a problem. As i see it, the more ice that builds up, the bigger the heat buffer. The ice would still hold the water cold for some time, if cooling fails for some reason.

2 hours ago, Zarquan said:

@SkunkMaster Nice setup.  Have you considered moving the water away from the geyser though?  Because I think the high pressure of the CO2 will stop the geyser from producing steam, which reduces the water output a little.  The effect isn't that big, but it would be nice to get all the water possible.

I'm trying to vent the room now to rid it for some of the CO2.

Was never my intention to let it run this high, i just tried to clean out the other air and by accident over pressurized it like this. 

Bad habit of using the High Pressure vents "just cause i can".

This isn't a drip cooling exploit - as this isn't cooling from the top, nor cooling onto surface water adjacent to a tile - rather the liquid CO2 will fall to the bottom of the pool, boil back into gaseous CO2, and then this cold CO2 will rise through the water - cooling it further.

At no point will the liquid CO2 effect the surface water - it will only cool from the bottom once the liquid CO2 hits a tile.

This is an oldie, and you folks need to pay attention to what happens when you drip liquids into a pool...

Can't remember who it was, but someone recently checked the game code and found the pre-requisites for the "drip/surface" bug, and this is not it.

You can replicate this incredibly easy in debug if you want to test it yourselves.

Great work @SkunkMasterThis is an oldie back from the pre thermal upgrade days - I hadn't realised it was working again ;) 

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

This isn't a drip cooling exploit - as this isn't cooling from the top, nor cooling onto surface water adjacent to a tile - rather the liquid CO2 will fall to the bottom of the pool, boil back into gaseous CO2, and then this cold CO2 will rise through the water - cooling it further.

So in other words my first observation was actually correct ? Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Great work @SkunkMasterThis is an oldie back from the pre thermal upgrade days - I hadn't realised it was working again ;) 

Thanks. - Now I'm contemplating how to use this system in synergy with the Thermo nullifier. 

1 minute ago, R9MX4 said:

But gas CO2 will. And when a bubble is floating up, it even effect the mass of surface.

That's why I said "liquid CO2". Of course the gas will effect the surface water - and so it should, it's in contact with it.

That however is not how the exploit works. Again, go try in debug if you don't believe me ;) 

the exploit works by creating a low volume of liquid then cooling it then using that to cool a larger volume of liquid effectively creating this exact scenario with each bubble atleast once per layer of liquid the cold co2 rises through.....

I can reproduce everything in debug mode except for the liquid co2 actually massively cooling the water just by dripping down into it, and without pre-cooling the gases, cooling it down to liquid co2 temps takes quite awhile. At the rate of water cooling I'm getting, it would take loads of cycles for hot water to be cooled this way. And I don't even have a steam geyser in the room (just dropped some geyser-like hot water in a box lol). 

Has anyone else been able to reproduce the actual water cooling more than a few degrees a cycle this way?

I guess most people who believe its drip cooling in here also misunderstand the triggers of drip cooling.

A low volume of cold liquid can cool a larger volume of hot liquid only when they are same kind of liquid.

So basically, small liquid CO2 itself can't trigger drip cooling to cool big liquid water. But when CO2 bubble floats up to the surface of water, it will create a very low volume of water.

1.png.17ce9da9640874b16f90eaa4112e4e98.png

5 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

the exploit works by creating a low volume of liquid then cooling it then using that to cool a larger volume of liquid effectively creating this exact scenario with each bubble atleast once per layer of liquid the cold co2 rises through.....

No. The exploit that everyone seems to be talking about, without really understanding, only works if the liquid falls from a tile that adjoins surface water in the tile space below. The exploit is an exploit because the coding of the game is broken in terms of thermal transfer between surface water, and the tiles of liquid below it. Just dripping liquid into a tank will change very little in terms of temperature - as falling liquids don't generate their mass until they come into contact with a tile below - i.e. the bottom of your tank. That's why @SkunkMaster's build works - because the liquid CO2 falls through the liquid pool (water in this case), hits the bottom of the tank, then boils and bubbles up as cold gaseous CO2. 

I've got a video ready to go that should hopefully explain this in a way everyone can understand, but I won't be able to upload until tomorrow. 

In the meantime - does this help? I'm very tired and make a number of cockups - but should illustrate the idea ;) Apologies in advance for the swears.

16 minutes ago, Keyimin said:

I can reproduce everything in debug mode except for the liquid co2 actually massively cooling the water just by dripping down into it, and without pre-cooling the gases, cooling it down to liquid co2 temps takes quite awhile. At the rate of water cooling I'm getting, it would take loads of cycles for hot water to be cooled this way. And I don't even have a steam geyser in the room (just dropped some geyser-like hot water in a box lol). 

Has anyone else been able to reproduce the actual water cooling more than a few degrees a cycle this way?

What type of tiles did you use bud? Try solid ones if you used airflow.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

What type of tiles did you use bud? Try solid ones if you used airflow.

For the water tank itself? Solid tiles for that. Does the water tank need to be a particular material too? I didn't figure that would matter in this case. 

19 minutes ago, Keyimin said:

For the water tank itself? Solid tiles for that. Does the water tank need to be a particular material too? I didn't figure that would matter in this case. 

*Edit*

Unfortunately this isn't quite as cool as i'd hoped.

The ladders are cooling the water and the bottom tiles of the tank. Make them out of anything other than abyssalite for an instant change in temperature. 

Nothing to do with the CO2 bubbling out :(

Sorry @SkunkMaster - but you're still a winner in my eyes bud, you found an entirely new bug - super cooled liquid co2 can be used to cool tanks from the bottom :p 

Archived