Job update Observation

I played for a few hours after midnight this morning.  Is it me or do dupes no longer gain skills at all except through the job promotions? 

If so, I can sorta understand, I mean... L26 Athletics anyone?  But at the same time, I don't think it unreasonable for dupes to be able to train up their stats through actual use up to something like +3 or +5.

8 minutes ago, storm6436 said:

I played for a few hours after midnight this morning.  Is it me or do dupes no longer gain skills at all except through the job promotions? 

If so, I can sorta understand, I mean... L26 Athletics anyone?  But at the same time, I don't think it unreasonable for dupes to be able to train up their stats through actual use up to something like +3 or +5.

The stream yesterday mentioned this specifically. Yes, dupes cannot level up skills if they are not assigned to a job.

11 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

The stream yesterday mentioned this specifically. Yes, dupes cannot level up skills if they are not assigned to a job.

On the other hand once assigned a job it doesn't seem to matter what task they do, they will still gain experience regardless if the task is related to that job or not.

Yeah, guess I missed that part. 

I get not wanting dupes to magically become productivity gods after so many cycles.  It'd just be nice if they could at least get some skills above 0 through a little practice, like I was saying, to like maybe 2 or 3.  I get the impression the whole point of the jobs bit was to streamline the colony's activities and, at least in the early game, it certainly isn't.  Yeah, you get some pretty darn efficient guys for specific tasks but they're borderline useless for anything else, so you end up micromanaging the priorities and shuffling people between jobs trying to get the same amount of stuff done you did prior to the update. 

The extreme RNG behind dupe stats so far for this update looks like it's going to translate to either "I don't care what your stats are, I'm just managing your negative traits" or "I'm clicking reject on the portal a *ton* for a very long time, just to get someone whose stats line up with their interest."  Anemic, for example, is basically a kiss-of-death for a dupe to me now.  I saw someone doing the "Pick up 1000g of everything" bit and thought it was a bug... but no, I'd missed that she was anemic.  It would have been comical watching her trying to do research when she could only scoot 1kg of dirt/water at a time if it hadn't been so darn inconvenient.

I'm not saying I dislike the update, far from it.  The idea has merit.  There is, however, a fair bit of tuning, tweaking, and massaging left to do and given this is the first day of the preview I'm in a wait-and-see loop.

The micro management is what worries me.  Give a dup exosuit jpb so he can walk but when gets to destinstion switching to dig so he can get through hard rocks...no thanks...not with 15 dup colony.

Or having too many diggers when you are mostly building right now

Switch, switch, switch will suck and be frustrating.  I had hoped to ignore it but the streams and comments make me very worried

Yeah, that's what I getting at by tweaking/balancing.  IMO, I don't mind having less efficient dupes if I'm getting more efficient guys that more than make up for it... but based on my fiddling about today, a low dupe-count colony is at a pretty big disadvantage now in terms of the amount of work that can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

I haven't gotten to exosuits yet, but that's primarily a function of how very deliberate I am on expansions and trying to optimize facility locations and the like.  I've been kinda bent over by the RNG in my last two colonies and was surrounded almost entirely by slime.  I may be more paranoid than I should be, but those are flat no-go zones until I either get suits or a significant bleachstone and chlorine reserve.

I'll usually venture way out into hot biomes without exosuits and then backtrack once I've found POI's worth putting the suits on for. I feel lucky if I'm flanked left and right by jungle biomes, being surrounded by a marsh is pretty chaotic.

I'm noticing the same, The job buffs are a bit perplexing, as it instabuffs them, then they embody the buffs once they reach 100%? It's a bit confusing without testing it for a long time, but a few of the roles seem broken at the moment - my researchers aren't gaining any learning after researching and completing, don't know if it's a bug or what, as long as they're researchers, they have the buffs, but not thereafter when reassigned, they fall back to baseline on that skill.

31 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

they have the buffs, but not thereafter when reassigned, they fall back to baseline on that skill.

It works as intended. I think the one that I will suffer most over is athletics. Slow mofo dupes running around. Anemic dupes are banned from my colony from now on.  

And evidently you cannot deconstruct the farm stations at the moment.  Similarly, I haven't noticed my farmer dupe doing anything special with it in the first place.  As far as I can tell, my growth times are unchanged with a 2nd Tier farmer assigned to the station.

Edit to clarify:
I've got two stations I can't deconstruct.  After I posted this I remembered I did deconstruct one earlier.  Will save/load and see if that allows me to blat them or not.

Archived