What is your "win state" for a (base) game of Don't Starve?

As the title says, when would you say you've "beaten" a world in don't starve? After a boss? An intensive crafting recipe? Enslavement of all life?

Asking as a new player who's wondering how far this game can be taken before moving on to other games/dlc.

Winning for me means:

1. At least one main base established in:
    1. At least one island in Shipwrecked (must include fish farms + dock + 5+ ballphin pens)
    2. Main RoG continent
    3. At least one cave
    4. At least one Ruins
  2. Bases must have teeth trap fields or a 24/7 defense like rock lobsters
  3. All four RoG bosses beaten and looted at least once
  4. At least one Ancient Guardian beaten and looted
  5. ~60 coffee plants split between one main base on Shipwrecked and one main base in RoG
  6. Items obtained:
    1. Walking cane
    2. Tam o' Shanter
    3. Several thulecite suits and crowns

I usually stop after that. I don't really feel the need to make continent-wide road systems with flooring and walls like some of the more elaborate players.

Defeating all bosses solo, Fuelweaver, Dragonfly, Bee Queen, Toad, Bearger, Klaus, Nightmare Shadow (from 3 marble sculptures) and Deerclops.   Cleared ruins 3 times in a row, have 200 Thulecite and a few dozen suits, crowns and clubs, about 50 dragon scale chests and 10-12 Houndius Shootius.

Technically the game difficulty scale up to day 100, said day is when hound attacks are maxed out. If your base and yourself can handle this without a sweat then you are pretty much in new game +. Everything else you do is pretty much optional stuff that make you more and more powerful.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, Atsumame said:

Technically the game difficulty scale up to day 100, said day is when hound attacks are maxed out. If your base and yourself can handle this without a sweat then you are pretty much in new game +. Everything else you do is pretty much optional stuff that make you more and more powerful.

True. The game is most difficult at this midgame point. After that, you should have a meat effigy in place at your main base and be well stocked enough that even a mistake doesn't cost you your entire save. It just gets easier and easier, but at least you get to explore and feel powerful.

Once I finally felt I became "good" at this game, I searched for the perfect world (in my eyes) for a mega base and that is what I chose to do with my end game content.  For me, the game never really ends with a mega base because there is ALWAYS something to build.  It's all in what you want to do with your playthroughs really!  2300 days strong!

My "done" state would be the following:

• Having world-hopped at least once in both RoG and SW, bringing as many supplies as possible to the other world before it is reset to maximize farming and supplies (Houndius Shootius, Coffee Plants, Elephant Cacti, Thulecite, Mandrakes/Pan Flutes, etc.). I just stop when I find a world that I like: an RoG with a desert/desiduous/savannah/all three close together and wormholes close to or inside the other biomes, and a large beach island with several small islands and the volcano nearby for easy access and resource management.
  • I've set up many farms, corralled or isolated all farmable mobs for resources, have a chest full of each common resource, and enough food supplies, crock pots and ice boxes that I practically never have to worry about my stats dropping low unintentionally.
  • I have defenses on my base, mostly consisting of several houndius shootius (depending on how many world hops I've done) and rock lobsters lobsters in RoG, and Elephant Cacti for Shipwrecked.
  • I've also decorated my base and made it as appealing as possible in both worlds, until everything is organized and nothing looks out of place.

Once I've done all of that, then...

I dunno, do adventure mode? I'd probably go through adventure mode twice, once to become Maxwell and another time to go back to my original character.

Past that, I've basically done everything until Hamlet comes along.

4 hours ago, jeffhartley3925 said:

I play perma-death (no touchstones, meat effigy, or life giving amulet.) So, I'm winning until the moment I die. But when I die, I cease to exist, so the question of whether I won or lost is moot. In other words, if you play perma-death, you can never lose.

Looks like this thread is "winning" cause it just won't die.

Archived