Gravity pumped geyser cooling system...

I've done a successful geyser cooling systems in the past where I pump hot water into a cooling reservoir when the reservoir is low, and pump it out into my primary water storage when it's cooled down. 

I had the idea to do away with the electricity requirements of the water pumps entirely and use automation and gravity instead. This is the design.

9K80cL2.jpg

sBlQNHS.jpg

It's simple enough: when the cooling reservoir reaches a low enough temperature, the lower airlock opens and dumps the water into the main reservoir. Then the upper airlock detects that the water level has dropped and opens up, dropping fresh hot water into the system. The two buffer gates close the upper doors first, so the water has time to drain and none gets caught in the airlock. The NOT gates ensure that, if the airlocks have to be held open (because there's not enough water coming out of the geyser, or because there's a backlog of water in the primary reservoir), the gas pumps don't waste electricity.

Water production with a system like this is proportional to how many wheezeworts you can get your hands on, until you reach the geysers water production limit. You could replace the cooling system with a hydrogen pipe radiator if you prefer, but the goal of this design was a minimal power requirement.

Unfortunately it still requires a small amount of power draw to restore the vaccum seals between the reservoirs. I'd have preferred a 0 power system, but without the insulation it'd fry your base. On the bright side it's a very brief power draw compared to continually pumping liquid.

7 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

Unfortunately it still requires a small amount of power draw to restore the vaccum seals between the reservoirs. I'd have preferred a 0 power system, but without the insulation it'd fry your base. On the bright side it's a very brief power draw compared to continually pumping liquid.

You could have used door gas deletion to make the vacuum instead. 

4 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Couldn't you use metal tiles between the Weezewort/Hydrogen on the sides and the central resevoir?  I know you have shift plates behind, but wouldn't it still make it faster?

The effect would be minuscule. Plates work much faster than tiles.

One thing that plates can't do is exchanging temperatures between each other. Tiles are needed for that. But then, for this function, it's better to use rock or plastic than metal, since metal has low specific heat.

Alright, here we go. My completely unpowered geyser cooler:

mXGqgwW.jpg

yeFzwp7.jpg

I was going to explain how it works, but this will probably do a better job than I could:

yP8rz1J.jpg

I have the same design for both the upper and lower airlocks: everything opens to release the water, upper door closes to shut it off, lower and middle doors close after the water drains, and finally the middle doors open to establish a vacuum seal for insulation. 

39 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

Could we see some specs of wat this can cool per cycle?

Well, I haven't done any testing, but it will be proportional to how many wheezeworts you have in the hydrogen chambers and how cool you want the water.

According to the Wiki, a wheezewort in dense (>1 kg) hydrogen provides 12kW (12000 J/s) of cooling.

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.184 J/g/C. So a single wheezewort can cool 2.868 Kg of water by 1 °C every second.

A geyser outputs water at nearly 100 °C. Let's assume your goal is water at 30 °C, so you are trying to cool it by 70 °C.  That makes the math easy: 2868 g/C/s divided by 70 °C. Your output will be 40 grams of water per second per wheezewort. With 20 or so wheezeworts on the map, that's around 800 grams per second.

Given that the geyser outputs 4kG per second, wheezeworts won't be enough on their own. If you want to (for example) maintain a bristle-berry farm, you'll want to add even more cooling in the form of a hydrogen pipe radiator, to redirect the heat off to anti-entropy thermal nullifiers elsewhere on the map.

18 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

Given that the geyser outputs 4kG per second, wheezeworts won't be enough on their own. If you want to (for example) maintain a bristle-berry farm, you'll want to add even more cooling in the form of a hydrogen pipe radiator, to redirect the heat off to anti-entropy thermal nullifiers elsewhere on the map.

Or use drip cooling. For example this. I'm not saying this is the best one but it works and uses very little power. It cools geyser water at the full 4200g/s output from 97C to 20C using 113.5W on average. The liquid pump to pump away the water after cooling uses 100.8W on average for comparison.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Or use drip cooling. For example this. I'm not saying this is the best one but it works and uses very little power. It cools geyser water at the full 4200g/s output from 97C to 20C using 113.5W on average. The liquid pump to pump away the water after cooling uses 100.8W on average for comparison.

I could, but it's an exploit. It's pretty cool and I've nothing against utilising exploits, but it seems like it's likely something that will be patched sooner or later. 

Plus, I enjoy the challenge of playing "fairly". That's why I'm actually cooling the water, rather than just using Abyssalite pipes throughout my entire base. Within limits, of course. I'm still not planning to power the mechanized airlocks :P.

Archived