Inefficient Duplicant pathing

Hey folks!

I recently discovered that going beyond 10 Dupes is not recommended besides for challenge runs and I think I know why: pathing.

My current colony ground to a halt with 25 Dupes at cycle 60 because every Dupe is just mindlessly running around through my whole colony which I recently expanded by a fair amount of distance to travel. Some Dupes even can't reach their beds anymore before morning is around. However, this is the absolute minimum travel distance I can achieve on this map since I need to connect the oil-fields and the ice biome.

My original solution was to just get more Dupes so that sweeping jobs get done more quickly, same for digging and carrying stuff around. Unfortunately, that had the exact opposite effect since now my Dupes only pick up one single item, run back to the other end of my colony to store it, run back down to my oil fields, dig one single tile, run back again to pick up coal from a storage container and deliver it to my generators in the ice biome. Then, rinse and repeat.

This was only an annoyance in the first place and Dupes leveled up Athletics pretty quickly but as I approach more dangerous territory (oil-fields or heavily germinated slime deposits) things slow down unbearably. Again, one Dupe gets into the exo-suit, digs out one single tile, runs back again and 5 seconds later the next Dupe jumps into the exo-suit and digs out the next tile and runs back again.

Are there any tips how to regulate this fluctating pathing on so many Dupes? I know I can lock out everyone I don't want to have working in those areas with doors but do I have to spam them all over the place just so my Dupes don't kill themselves or waste massive amounts of time?

my best suggestion besides have less dupes, make multiple bases.  A small base down by the oil, and another small base up by the ice.  Only let 1 or 2 dupes intermingle to move resources back and forth as needed.  This way the pathing is much simpler

Don't get me started on that BS where 3 dupes can't even figure out proper pathing through a pool of water to a correct latter. Having to deconstruct and reconstruct it multiple times for them to finally show pathing to an area. That started after tubular. I haven't checked the bug forum and I don't know how to reproduce it. netSd69.gif

Some things I noticed. It mostly comes down to how you build ladders in your base. If you make sure there is only one way for the dupe to access any tile on map then there is no problem. If there are two ways but one is significantly better than the other, like a ladder and fire pole next to each other, then there also seem to be almost no problem.

But if you give them two options they seem to choose the worst of the two 80+% of the time, I had to deconstruct ladders because the dupes were suffocating on their way up the round about route on the far left to get up top, instead of cutting from inside the base straight on up, smh, the big open air is oxygenated to some extent but that left hand shaft gets nothing, yet the dupes kept insisting on going that route and were out of breath by the time they even made it to the power wheels image.thumb.png.5b238d094ea187958cecb09a49f84595.png

I don't know what determines path costs, but if I did I would definitely be using it to my advantage more :)

@Kabrute You can help the dupes immensely by building full ladders instead of one-tile-gapped ladders. The one tile gap is great for minimizing construction time when exploring or strip mining but for use as ladder it's a horrible idea. Full ladders are many times faster. The same is true for using ladders as floors. This should only be done as a temporary measure. Building real full tile floors will increase dupe speed many fold. If you're worried about air flow then just make them mesh tiles.

14 hours ago, eggsvbacon said:

Don't get me started on that BS where 3 dupes can't even figure out proper pathing through a pool of water

yeah this is one i noticed, since the tube update dupes has been refusing to identify pool of water as paths, they would mark them as unreachable. 

Pathing is pretty terrible, it's a bit like with pipes: if there is more than one direction, things get bad. Dupes prioritize paths that are closer to the destination rather than paths that take the least time, which results in massive waste of time. If you want efficiency, build grids, but with only 1-3 ladders (but make those giant - spanning whole asteroid).

To make dupes better with jobs like digging, it helps to:

• Turn off as many jobs as you can on digger dupes, especially sweeping and delivery
  • Turn off digging on other dupes
  • Dig on priority higher than any non-critical job
  • Set all your storage compactors to priority below dig priority

Using normal and high priorities for most things is one of the most common errors. Sweeping crap rock (not-granite, not-abyssalite) should be priority 1.

On 1/4/2018 at 1:57 PM, Kabrute said:

I don't know what determines path costs, but if I did I would definitely be using it to my advantage more :)

In most cases just pure distance traveled. Things like time wasted on climbing and jumping are ignored - that's why it's so bad.

When many paths are equally long, the "best" one will be the one that goes closer to the destination sooner.

Archived