How is the Aerial Creature Lure intended to be used?

A path cost of 50 between lure and the puft, whatever that ends up meaning. Not exactly a radius. However, the puft needs to not be floating in polluted oxygen or it'll never seek out the lure. The puft creating a vacuum under itself is good enough for this, so avoid high concentrations of polluted oxygen.

Agree, lure mechanic is tedious and useless imo. Basically I need to place bunch of lures in a line to e.g. move one puft from long distance to where I want him to be and waste a lot of time just manipulating these lures. Actually when I've discusvered that they are lures and not traps - this was the first time ever I used debug mode - to move pufts.

Klei, please just make traps for pufts/shinebugs instead of lures. Do not overcomplicate.

What I tried two days ago is a line of lures, each with a timer to enable them in sequence. but, stupidly, the slime in them does sublimates even when turned off, and that means there is enough polluted oxygen around the lures that the pufts get full and float up again ( I want them in the lower part of my colony) - so they leave the lure and then I have to wait until my sequence begins again to capture them. 

In my next try I will have to use timed doors as well, to stop them from floating up too far, and that makes the whole structure too complicated to have it in the same shafts that my dupes use. Annoying.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, Risu said:

A path cost of 50 between lure and the puft, whatever that ends up meaning.

well in path finding algorithms (A* for example), each path has some kind of cost/value to determine which path is preferable. changing the value of certain paths/area could make those paths more/less preferable than other paths. i think that is what 'path cost' in that context supposed to mean.

1 hour ago, Wolfcream23 said:

well in path finding algorithms (A* for example), each path has some kind of cost/value to determine which path is preferable. changing the value of certain paths/area could make those paths more/less preferable than other paths. i think that is what 'path cost' in that context supposed to mean.

It is. The question is how many cells of the path ends up equaling 50. Not every transition costs 1.

I use most times lockers with slime (100kg) to build a "lure chain", no problem in exosuit zone.
Edit: About the "bus stop - transfer" mechanics.  Sometimes i like it, to play around with it, because when base is stable, there is not much to do for me.
When i want  transfer puffs from a >-> b (left to right for example, i let dupes enter the "line", from right to left, when they fill up lockers.
A locker could be without problem 15 tiles away from next locker, to make transit quick.
The aerial lure is similar to that, with higher range and the need for other/better materials..

I just use a path with doors and patience and some micro. 

Set doors to priority 9. Make a long tunnel from the puffts to where you want to move them with doors that at start are all open maybe some 10 tiles appart. Wait until pufft moves through first door. Send dupes to lock. Sometimes you have to micro quite a bit so it doesnt lock if pufft is fast to mve back again.. then repeat. For faster transfer I usually combine it with a pump at thier present location and an air filter punmping out all polluted oxygen and sending it to thier destination. It works fairly well but is a bit of a hassle.

Archived