New base build order

Someone may find this useful. I was going to write this in response to another post but it wasn't quite what they asked. Curious to hear other people's early base build order.

Here is my typical build order starting off:

1. crack into water (from above it) and build a pitcher pump
  2. clear out an area for the bathroom
  3. build 1-2 wash basins (build these before the outhouses so they are SURE to wash their hands)
  4. build 2 outhouses at the end of a dead-end hallway behind the wash basins so they are forced to wash their hands when the exit
  5. build 3 cots in the top left of your base (oxygen will tend to end up there) (put doors on either side with room for 6 cots) to make a proper barracks
  6. don't rush to take on new dupes and only take on good ones (no farters, no overeaters, no loud sleepers etc) Stay under 5 dupes until your food situation is taken care of and you have a good surplus
  7. build 1-2 manual generators and hook them up to 1+ tiny batteries and hook that up to the research station
  8. find a place for polluted water to be dumped. It can be a tiny spot somewhat away from the main base eg 4x4 hole (the dupes can take the polluted water from the wash basins to this hole)
  9. research planters
  10. build 4-5 planters per dupe and plant mealwood (often bottom right of the base where the CO2 will end up, CO2 is sterile)
  11. build an advanced research bench
  12. I usually just work top left down each research row but you can pick things that might be better first (some good suggestions in other comments above)
  13. build an algae deoxidizer near the bedroom, maybe a second one if needed in another area
  14. if CO2 is getting stuck where you don't want it, put in airflow tiles and/or algae terrariums
  15. put airflow tiles every 4-5 tiles to keep CO2 falling down and O2 moving where it needs to
  16. build a mess table for each dupe (put doors on either side to make a proper mess hall) check the room overlay for details
  17. start searching for a steam geyser in each direction
  18. keep the core base airlocked to keep pressure up

That should set you up. Once you find a steam geyser you want to pump that hot water out using abyssalite (prevents heat leaking) pipes to your lavatories and sinks (upgrades from the wash basin and outhouse) they are optional upgrades but produce fewer germs. You can use that water for electrolyzers to generate oxygen and hydrogen. There are lots of videos out there for that setup. You can also optionally use coal or nat gas power but manual generators can power everything. Later game you'll find managing heat is more of an issue.

I go big on gardens, like huge.  And bottom right is correct. my garden usually ends up eating my dupe gate like this.  The garden starts off right beneath my gate but grew because of pollution, fixed that with the vaulted ceiling from the gateway. image.thumb.png.667273f860e576715a6aef393fbbde0e.png

Anywho on left side you see my own dead end bathroom corridor, there are a few outside this room but those spaces are chlorinated.  I usually focus heavily on research while building up my garden and preparing for oxygen production.  Algae is great to start and electrolizers can keep you going for a while but I have been working on long term solutions without using geysers etc

on the right is a perfect air airlock

notice the garden entrance on the right side in the floor, this is to pool co2 into the gardens.  the drop wall is for when o2 billows downwards

And for that starting setup I always go, (Left to right) Algae deox, Gene, 2 tiny bats, Research, first research batteries, upgrade and replace tinies(dupes spend WAY less time running back to power things) each tiny battery holds 1k, each battery holds 40k.  Then I research advanced research, then I research the first two garden items to get garden plots for what you see above.  After that I head for thermal, then refined metal, then plastic.  After that I can actually use the things being unlocked by further research.

I actually try hard to get at least 1 hatch nearby my lavatories and sikns.. they eat up polluted dirt and polluted water bottles for some reason(dont ask me why lol) therefore I don't need a place for polluted water storage. Also when I build my flooring I like to have empty tiles on both sides of my ladders so hatches cant jump arround my base.. That's pretty much what I do for starter ;P

I do it very similar like @GrindThisGame . With the difference that I build the polluted water dump (not too big) and the compost behind my initial basins and outhouses, so the dupes that transport the polluted water/dirt will pass the basins again.

I build the bedrooms with 3x cots per room in a way so I can upgrade the cots into later.

Also after setting up cots and the messhall I go straight for heavy watt and coal and start to plan for a large powerplant. I usually set up the powerplant in a way so they fill up with CO2 with coal generators at the top and then one level above the initial skimmers. Further down I plan for batteries and gas/petroleum generators. Everything is later cooled with skimmer polluted water. The CO2 is blocking polluted water=> PO2 conversion. I pre build about 4-8 coal generators at the start, even if not needed. Or at least leave space for them. After gas/oil I almost never use coal anymore but they serve as a backup.

After setting up the initial powerplant I search for oil/gas, not steam and use the initial polluted water to quickly get atmosuits via reeds and later I start building up a cold water tank. I found that steam geysers aren't really needed for many (200+) cycles or ever. Gas/oil is what allows me to do all the fun stuff.

13 hours ago, Kabrute said:

I go big on gardens, like huge.  And bottom right is correct. my garden usually ends up eating my dupe gate like this.  The garden starts off right beneath my gate but grew because of pollution, fixed that with the vaulted ceiling from the gateway.

That is a LOT of food! How are you at 0 cals with 10 dupes and that much food? Or did they JUST finish building it? I like how the CO2 is passively falling into that grow room. I usually build modular abyssalite growing rooms and pump in 20C CO2 but I think I'll try the passive setup.

3 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

My only objection is refusing to take Loud Sleepers. For a negative trait, Loud Sleeper is fairly innocuous. Just build their bed literally two tiles away from the next bed and call it good

Yeah they aren't too bad I guess. I like to pack those bedrooms though. 

41 minutes ago, GrindThisGame said:

I like how the CO2 is passively falling into that grow room. I usually build modular abyssalite growing rooms and pump in 20C CO2 but I think I'll try the passive setup.

Since it's a one time energy cost, it really wouldn't matter too much either way. Once the CO2 is there, and your exits are at the top the CO2 will remain there, so you only have to pump in the CO2 once.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Since it's a one time energy cost, it really wouldn't matter too much either way. Once the CO2 is there, and your exits are at the top the CO2 will remain there, so you only have to pump in the CO2 once.

Assuming you keep your pressures stable absolutely.

17 hours ago, Kabrute said:

I go big on gardens, like huge.  And bottom right is correct. my garden usually ends up eating my dupe gate like this.  The garden starts off right beneath my gate but grew because of pollution, fixed that with the vaulted ceiling from the gateway. image.thumb.png.667273f860e576715a6aef393fbbde0e.png

Why are you wasting time harvesting the mealwood? Let the time do the work ;)

so dupes don't bother me with constant "Idle dupes" flags

20 minutes ago, Jean le Chauve said:

Why are you wasting time harvesting the mealwood? Let the time do the work ;)

its all at a 1 priority anyway so literally they have nothing else to do, gonna go get some food

1 hour ago, Kabrute said:

image.thumb.png.d68ef009c1f15eea93cac062698c496a.png

Was trying to block this exit, accidentally optimized it..... gonna move that suit room now XD

Your suits don't have any oxygen anyway.  I've noticed that a lot in SS's.  I always keep my oxygen bars green for my suits so the dupes don't take them off in random locations.

Archived