dj Hatch - "Get out of Here!" tech-house music in ONI

What I really would like to see is an option to control the volume of automation separately so I don't have to listen to it. At the moment I'm not enjoying playing the game that much because I have to play it muted to avoid the irritating automation noises, or play a really low tech base.

Just now, Saturnus said:

What I really would like to see is an option to control the volume of automation separately so I don't have to listen to it. At the moment I'm not enjoying playing the game that much because I have to play it muted to avoid the irritating automation noises, or play a really low tech base.

I've gone another route, and I run my "dance eJay" muted (yes i'm old) and keep my ONI sounds running.... Can't wait for the snare drum in the next update :p 

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

already suggested in suggestions forums; one developer said it was being considered.

• Developer
On 05/12/2017 at 3:23 AM, Saturnus said:

This toggle should be in the next update!

Really sorry that the sound dissuaded you from happily using automation - that's basically a sound designer's nightmare! Hopefully the toggle for "only hear automation beeps in the automation view" will fix that for you, but as always if not, pleeeaase feel free to let me know! :)

(or if sound ever bugs you in any other cases!)

@chemie

@jambell Thank you very much. The problem for me was that I like to make massively overcomplicated automation circuits and running a base with 12-20 dupes at the same time it just gets overwhelming when I should be relaxing. I'm an electrical engineer, and an expert in energy efficiency optimization and most relevantly psychoacoustics. My main job is designing sound profiles and DSP programs for consumer electronics which is something that requires intensely concentrated listening so if a game sounds (or indeed any extra vocational activity) causes even minimal listening fatigue and stress then I can't do my job properly. It should not be seen as a general critique of how sounds and music are implemented in the game. They generally strike a very good balance between being interesting, non-intrusive, helpful, and atmospheric.

• Developer
21 hours ago, Saturnus said:

@jambell Thank you very much. The problem for me was that I like to make massively overcomplicated automation circuits and running a base with 12-20 dupes at the same time it just gets overwhelming when I should be relaxing. I'm an electrical engineer, and an expert in energy efficiency optimization and most relevantly psychoacoustics. My main job is designing sound profiles and DSP programs for consumer electronics which is something that requires intensely concentrated listening so if a game sounds (or indeed any extra vocational activity) causes even minimal listening fatigue and stress then I can't do my job properly. It should not be seen as a general critique of how sounds and music are implemented in the game. They generally strike a very good balance between being interesting, non-intrusive, helpful, and atmospheric.

Ah @Saturnus, I feel ya completely! That sounds like an insanely interesting job, and I can totally relate to ear fatigue! When you work with sound all day and get home to relax and unwind, anything that's too aurally noisy is the last thing that you wanna do haha :).

We just put out the upgrade preview for the next upgrade - I believe that the toggle is in that, so you can get back to happily making the complex systems you wanna make without causing undue stress!

Re: this not being a critique of the soundscape at large - of course, I didn't take it as so! I knew you were just giving feedback for what you found important, and I'm really thankful for that. It's been a unique challenge in this game to make a soundscape which supports everybody's playstyles and still accomplishes all those goals that you listed, so I really appreciate your kind words. But, as we just saw, I don't always hit the mark and I'm completely fine with that since folks like you let me know what I can smooth out for ya as we move through Early Access!. :D So huge thanks again, and I'm always open for more feedback!

Archived