Anyone using low priority setting frequently?

For me, hope that base priority setting of tasks change to 4 or 3, not 5

I think there's too much low priority settings than high one's. My playtime is about to hit 400 hours with a lot of new colonies but I hardly recall the use of priority settings under 5 while there's quite a few moment that I need more higher priority settings.

Any thoughts?

I prefer the default setting at 5, right in the middle. Priority 5 to me means "this is the current project" anything higher is for convenience or safety reasons. I usually have my storages at priority 3-4 so I don't have to dictate much before they go idle. Sometimes I'll have projects lined up and set them to 1 or 2 if there's a more pressing matter to attend to.

I hope it doesn't get changed because I like it just the way it is. Priority 6 is when I want to override Art jobs or any pressing problems. Priority 7-8 are for jobs I want done now or on-going tasks that are for the survival of the colony like Algae Deoxidyzers. Priority 9 are for High Emergency tasks; these tasks are for building 1 tile or ladder to save someone's life or prevent someone's death.

I've never had problems with jobs being set to 5; they usually get everything done. We have different play styles so you may be using more higher priority settings than me. Most of my time spent playing is usually spent dictating priorities 5-6 so I'm glad there's more room above and below.

I've set several things to 4 or even 3, depending on how infrequently I want my dupes to be doing them.  Or so that only certain dupes do.  For example, I have 5 environmental suits and 10 dupes.  I have an area in "contaminated" space to dig out, and I have an area inside my base to dig out.  The "contaminated" side I set to 6, the area inside the base I set to 4.  This way dupes in the base take care of base-related tasks first, then dig.   The dupes that grab pressure suits on the other hand, stay out of the base instead of wasting time switching tasks to inside the base.  Seems to work fairly well.

I've taken to having priority clear-outs every so often, just so that it makes things a little clearer around my base. What I mean by this is that every now and again I go around my base and lower the priority of all those things that we build, then forget about that don't require priority at all - i.e. wheezewort planters, pneumatic doors set to "open" state for room bonuses, fertilizer synths, anything within closed builds - I set all that to 1.

Makes things clearer for me when my bases get pretty large, and helps keep track of the different levels of priority i'm using around the base.

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I've taken to having priority clear-outs every so often, just so that it makes things a little clearer around my base. What I mean by this is that every now and again I go around my base and lower the priority of all those things that we build, then forget about that don't require priority at all - i.e. wheezewort planters, pneumatic doors set to "open" state for room bonuses, fertilizer synths, anything within closed builds - I set all that to 1.

Uh...  for Planter Pots and Doors, the Priority setting is only relevant when you make changes to those objects.  Playing with the Priority when you are not making changes doesn't do anything at all.

1 minute ago, PhailRaptor said:

Uh...  for Planter Pots and Doors, the Priority setting is only relevant when you make changes to those objects.  Playing with the Priority when you are not making changes doesn't do anything at all.

Did you read my post before quoting it - I know this :D 

6 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I've taken to having priority clear-outs every so often, just so that it makes things a little clearer around my base.

I go around my base and lower the priority of all those things that we build, then forget about that don't require priority at all - i.e. wheezewort planters, pneumatic doors set to "open" state for room bonuses, fertilizer synths, anything within closed builds - I set all that to 1.

Makes things clearer for me when my bases get pretty large, and helps keep track of the different levels of priority i'm using around the base.

it's purely so I can see at a quick glance where things might be set to an incorrect priority level... We've all done that thing where we build something like piping over our massage tables (or other important building) with a low priority, then go back and use the priority tool to change it - changing said massage tables at the same time, etc. This is why I do it :) 

Again, this works for me as I build big sprawling bases - and often don't spend any time at all revisiting builds once they're done - so it's a habit i'm trying to incorporate into my play.

5 hours ago, Moggles said:

I use the whole spectrum 1  - 9 for various things.

Now I'm home I can elaborate. I use the low settings to prioritize the chores that should be done before going totally idle.

For example I keep a storage container next to my farms. The container will be set to auto sweep and store the seeds of the plant that is growing there at priority 1. There is nothing stopping me leaving the seeds by the planters but I give the dupes that one last house keeping task before going idle.

I use 2-4 the same way, to create a task list of things I don't care about but need doing.

Let's say I have all the plastic/petroleum I need for right now but I know I will need some more in the future. Well I might set an oil refinery to a priority 2. So if they have absolutely nothing else to do one dupe can go crank the refinery for a bit.

Actually, I started to use low priority settings quite recently, before that I would give my dupes their proper jobs and just take care of providing it to them. It's very useful, if you prefer to keep 10+ dupes, to cover all tasks without ignoring some of them. Now I prefer to have just 6 of them for many reasons, and priority setting is quite important. So, for instance, I send my mining team on a expedition every day, and with my automation setting I posted in another thread I don't have to care about them - so if they mine everything I need for a specific moment, they just start sweeping things as the base door is locked till evening. Storage compactors are set on different low priorities, ranging 1-4, depending on which materials I need the most - however, my sweeper has higher priority settings for compactors inside the base, so he just take what is important from this shared space (room filled with chlorine, one entrance for base team, one for miners). Simple and very useful.

27 minutes ago, GreatGameDota said:

Nah you just use prio 8-9 for everything :p

I dont think I ever see an 8 in his base ;)

26 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

That's only when it's getting near the end of stream and i'm determined to get things built :p 

I'm a new man GG, reformed even, you know this ;)

I still think they should really add a priority 10, Donno about you guys but 9 gets used for almost everything. 10 should exist for those super saiyan moments.

My entire base spans from 5-7 priorities, with 5 being what i just use for everything, 6 being for food, 7 being for power

39 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I dont think I ever see an 8 in his base ;)

I still think they should really add a priority 10, Donno about you guys but 9 gets used for almost everything. 10 should exist for those super saiyan moments.

My entire base spans from 5-7 priorities, with 5 being what i just use for everything, 6 being for food, 7 being for power

Priority 10 instantly makes every dupe wet themselves in unison, and shudder for 5 seconds at the sheer panic it instils...

Archived