Improve connectivity in the Forge?

astroapyr

During game and before I join the server I have a decent ping (the green bars in characters menu I mean) but at some point it gets laggy even when ping bars is in green.

Is this normal, part of the Forge beta or it can be improved? I live in Panama and the lowest ping servers available are >75 and Im playing with a 100Mbps speed.

• Developer

A big part of the beta is testing how good/bad connectivity is for our users in various parts of the world. If anyone's experiencing something they consider really bad lag we'd like your client log and what part of the world you're in.

11 minutes ago, nome said:

A big part of the beta is testing how good/bad connectivity is for our users in various parts of the world. If anyone's experiencing something they consider really bad lag we'd like your client log and what part of the world you're in.

(I didn't see this thread at first because and made a report in the bug forum already)
Just now I was playing with a bunch of friends on a server hosted in Europe and quite far into the fight we were experiencing sudden lag spikes which affected all players at the same time. After a few lag spikes we all got disconnected. It's currently evening in Europe so the servers might be strained because of that.
Here is my client log:
client_log.txt

Just now, nome said:

Ok, here's my log.

client_log.txt

I'm at the Republic of Panama, in Center America. If you need anymore info I may tell. Thanks @nome. And thanks for The Forge, it's something different and fun without doubt.

• Developer

We are looking to improve play experiences for our users wherever we can, but all we can really do is add more data centres. As a small company obviously we don't have the resources to fly staff around the world, establish local operating companies, rent space and hire local contractors to build new data centres, so we're limited to the DCs offered by cloud providers like google and amazon. We'll continue to add new cloud vendors and to utilize new regions as existing cloud centres add them - anyone who knows a good vendor we could add to our repertoire is encouraged to contact me - but that's about all we can do.

https://cloud.google.com/about/locations/

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/

For your specific problem @DelroyBM, 75ms shouldn't be unplayable - IIRC the team here tested with more than that and was able to win. You should look into whether your connection maybe has some packet loss or something. There's probably something more going on with your connection and if you're able to resolve that you may be able to achieve a better play experience.

@DelroyBM It's possible you might have a lossy connection. It's an issue I had in various other games where I would have ping like 20 or so, but the connection would be very laggy. Are you using a wired connection or wireless? I used to use wireless and, combined with the distance between me and my router gave a very lossy connection.

And to support what @nome said, I've played on servers where my connection is "bad" (Which I assume is in the 200-300ms? I think they were the northern european servers, and I live in western europe) and it was still playable, but back when I played DST with my wireless connection, I would get "great" (20ms?) to some servers yet teleport around like a mad man.

(i assume the term lossy connection is a thing, i saw it said somehwere like once. it sounds silly. loooossyy)

Thanks @nome, I'm pretty sure the problem is my connection, my hardware or a wrong choice of server, but I thought you could tell me what it was exactly, maybe I was asking too much.

What @Ashkain says is almost similar to my problem, in NA Northeast servers it says I have a connection of 75 - 100 ms but at some point it gets laggy and as your case, it appears I'm walking in a direction while the mobs attack me and I receive the damage even if it clearly seems I'm not in range of the attack.

Im gonna try with South American servers with 150-200ms and see. Thanks for the help. Bless. <3

Archived