oil and power

To run the petrol gen requires 907.2W spent per 2000W produced at 1.8 kg/s of water used. In addition you get 1280W worth of natural gas. It's actually quite balanced, it's just that nobody wants to use it because natural gas is so unbalanced.

8 minutes ago, trukogre said:

"natural gas is so unbalanced".  *summons mr. "hydrogen is better than natural gas when you have more than 400 dupes in your colony" to this thread*  He's on his way.

U r really insane, u know that, right?

1 hour ago, trukogre said:

"natural gas is so unbalanced".  *summons mr. "hydrogen is better than natural gas when you have more than 400 dupes in your colony" to this thread*  He's on his way.

Well.... I have never had that many dupes but I run my bases off of hydrogen too! but I have been learning to make use of Nat Gas as well recently! Mainly for the water

personally i started running a couple petrol generators, because if youre mass producing plastic theres really no reason not to. Generator Feeds your slicksters, and your fertilizer makers,. gas from wells and refinery feed extra natural gas gens. You can actually run a 20kw grid with like half as many fert makers just by utilizing refineries and well caps

11 hours ago, trukogre said:

Well some illiterate stranger on the internet said it, so it must be true, yeah.  Why are you talking to an insane person?

I find it interesting and ironic that you call someone illiterate because they didnt understand what you were trying to convey because they lacked context of your previous exchange when in that thread you failed to actually grasp his argument about the comparison in the first place.

Additionly you agreed with his prospect that hydrogen was overpowered and should be changed. Which was at least a consistent position.

I am sure you will claim I am harassing you for replying to your public post despite the hypocrisy that you literally insulted someone with abrupt hostility over a minor misunderstanding.

May luck ever be on your side in winning friends and influencing people.

On the topic at hand, I think I agree with Risu in that natgas is really strong.  And with the inclusion of oil I think how you use your clean water still seems to favor the natgas cycle. Though there are different balance you can reach.

Personally I am not a fan of the petrolgen dumping so much CO2 right out into the room, but such as it is.

12 hours ago, trukogre said:

Well some illiterate stranger on the internet said it, so it must be true, yeah.  Why are you talking to an insane person?

it was a joke, of course... I meant that 50 dupes is insane to manage...:shock: I cant imagine 400

1 hour ago, Whispershade said:

Personally I am not a fan of the petrolgen dumping so much CO2 right out into the room, but such as it is.

well, I find that that is very well balanced with slicksters... they can suck 250g/s that´s a lot!

Also, I like to make po2 so, scrubbing is my friend.

well, ive done the math (and trials) again using all sub products (except co2) and they both give about the same amount of power.

oil produces 2616 w/s using 1ks of water and producing 556g/s of co2.

nat gas produces 2095 w/s with a much simpler setup NOT using water and porducing 323g/s of co2.

I still think that oil produces too little power compared.

Also, theres the mater of heat and dupe power.

oil produces 173 w/s of heat and uses 1/3 of dupe time/cycle (plus whatever time it take to depressurize the well)

while nat gas only 65 w/s of heat and no dupe time whatsoever.

Here´s the spreadsheet... if u r interested.

circular oil power.xlsx

Edit: using c02 with slicksters:

oil +450 w/s (2,58 slicksters)

nat +225 w/s (1.29 slicksters)

On 10/24/2017 at 3:50 PM, eloy2030 said:

well, I find that that is very well balanced with slicksters... they can suck 250g/s that´s a lot!

Also, I like to make po2 so, scrubbing is my friend.

The quantity isn't the problem. Nor necessarily that it dumps it out into the environment instead of being piped. My bugbear is both together. It is maybe particular to how I design but I am going to want to pump that CO2 away (probably to slicksters).  But one pump isn't enough because 500g/s is exactly a pumps capacity and in practice there will always be missing volumes which will inevitably lead to CO2 buildup. It bothers me and I wish it weren't that way, but I don't have sufficient argument to change it other than "I don't like it."

If you are curious for context of @trukogre 's initial post was referencing an exchange with @Reaniel in another thread that I will link as the conversation as a whole touches significantly on the topic of natural gas balance. The thrust of @Reaniel 's argument was that if the natural gas loop was overpowered then so must be the electrolyzer/Hydrogen generator cycle. To be clear, he didn't think either were.

2 hours ago, Whispershade said:

The quantity isn't the problem. Nor necessarily that it dumps it out into the environment instead of being piped. My bugbear is both together. It is maybe particular to how I design but I am going to want to pump that CO2 away (probably to slicksters).  But one pump isn't enough because 500g/s is exactly a pumps capacity and in practice there will always be missing volumes which will inevitably lead to CO2 buildup. It bothers me and I wish it weren't that way, but I don't have sufficient argument to change it other than "I don't like it."

If you are curious for context of @trukogre 's initial post was referencing an exchange with @Reaniel in another thread that I will link as the conversation as a whole touches significantly on the topic of natural gas balance. The thrust of @Reaniel 's argument was that if the natural gas loop was overpowered then so must be the electrolyzer/Hydrogen generator cycle. To be clear, he didn't think either were.

Very interesting thread, ty!

And yes, I think all machines that produce some kind of gas, should have a gas vent attached. Even electrolizers.

Archived