So... Walls... Is there a purpose?

I really like the addition of walls, and I would like the addition of a house.I set up a house-like enclosure with some stone walls. It makes it look less like you just have an odd assortment of gear lying around a campfire.I don't know how many people survived long periods of time in the wilds without building an appropriate shelter, anyway, and it could potentially be an essential if they decide to include seasons. I think they should add more threats to the game instead of cutting more material.

More than houses, which to me are an unnecessary addition this game can do without, I'd like to see doors/gates. I'm tired of using traps or dummy walls I need to destroy every time I want to add a bunny to my bunbun pen

More than houses, which to me are an unnecessary addition this game can do without, I'd like to see doors/gates. I'm tired of using traps or dummy walls I need to destroy every time I want to add a bunny to my bunbun pen

Kevin mentioned remotely accessable doors once. But the question is if he just wanted to tease us or if they are really considering adding those.

Walls are totally pointless on every level, I never bother with them (although I can see they have some special uses, as mentioned above). I think they it would definitely be cool i they added more stuff to defend bases with, but walls are not the answer.They do nothing. If you're attacked by, say, hounds, they just bite(!) through them which makes no sense. Once pathfinding is ironed out, then enemies will just go through the holes required for the player to walk in and out. Even if walls are buffed, then presumably an enemy will just hang around on the other side and you'll have to deal with them eventually anyway. This isn't Age of Empires, so why are there walls?

The addition of doors/gates would pretty much make houses. All you're missing is a roof.

Walls are totally pointless on every level, I never bother with them (although I can see they have some special uses, as mentioned above). I think they it would definitely be cool i they added more stuff to defend bases with, but walls are not the answer.They do nothing. If you're attacked by, say, hounds, they just bite(!) through them which makes no sense. Once pathfinding is ironed out, then enemies will just go through the holes required for the player to walk in and out. Even if walls are buffed, then presumably an enemy will just hang around on the other side and you'll have to deal with them eventually anyway. This isn't Age of Empires, so why are there walls?

The pathfinding allows players to use walls to funnel enemies into traps. I don't know how you'd have a base without walls and defend it.

The addition of doors/gates would pretty much make houses. All you're missing is a roof.

A makeshift gate for a rabbit pen hardly makes a house. I guess if you squint a lot, put a wooden board floor and get an area surrounded by wall you can call it a house. If you're very desperate.By that logic houses are already implemented in the game? I mean you can just leave 2 spots open and call it an open gate i guess?

The pathfinding allows players to use walls to funnel enemies into traps. I don't know how you'd have a base without walls and defend it.

Except enemies just attack walls and go in a straight line in Don't Starve. That's the problem. :c i wish they would try to go around them, but they just attack them.

Don't pigs and stuff go through the opening of walls? I could have sworn they did in the Progress update video..

Pigs that follow you. yes. Enemies (at least the ones I've been seeing) just attack walls. Spiders and hounds namely. And beefalo. They don't go through mazes of walls. Treeguard smashes walls as well.Not sure about Krampus.

I mostly use walls as a funnel - in offence, I usually build an L or C shape at the edge of a Beefallo meadow and chase young ones into it, trapping them while I stab them with pointy sticks. Same deal for Gobblers near a berry patch.Defensively, I use walls to buy time or funnel enemies - leaving gaps allows you to funnel Hounds into paths full of traps if dance around by the entrance, while most often if I'm camping out on a long range expedition (usually to a region rotten with Spiders) then the walls buy time to make sure I have all the weapons I need at hand, or the right emergency gear if I need to flee (say, ditching the log suit in favour of a pre-packed backpack).It's pointless to try and build a fort (or at least, super boring) but walls offer a small amount of control as an extra buffer in those crazy situations that sometimes sneak up on you.

First build walls so they make a square shape with a opening for door. Find Chester.Now chase a baby beefalo into the little fort you made.Push chester infront of the door and give him the eyebone so he stays.When the baby grows up i will start a new herd there and will not run back to the oringal herd. You can now have a nearby beefalo herd overtime and you wont have to use 200 of those stupid uncommon beefalo herding horns.This is how you kidnap babies in don't starve.

First build walls so they make a square shape with a opening for door. Find Chester.Now chase a baby beefalo into the little fort you made.Push chester infront of the door and give him the eyebone so he stays.When the baby grows up i will start a new herd there and will not run back to the oringal herd. You can now have a nearby beefalo herd overtime and you wont have to use 200 of those stupid uncommon beefalo herding horns.This is how you kidnap babies in don't starve.

Except beefalo destroy walls during mating season. =/

Well, that's kinda old. But we (or atleast me and some others) use it like as insider-joke whenever we write "soon" :D (like now...)

Yes, I know of when Max used it as a clue in the Winter puzzle (the one that lead to the origins video, if I recall correctly). However, I find it strange it should flare up again, as I've never actually seen it used as an inside-joke. Then again, I'm quite confused concerning the Rain puzzle... and I'm really reaching for more clues for it... I just really want a definitive end to it, I suppose. I feel lie I did when we barely completed the Insanity puzzle on time. Max had to practically shout the last letter in every character's name at us.

I just don't want a puzzle to go unsolved, man.