Magic heat destruction

Think Klei will ever remove the function of heat destruction regarding liquids and buildings?  An example is when you use abyssalite pipes to move 65c water to your hydroponic sleet wheat farm and still maintain a cold sleet wheat plant.

We have enough problems trying to handle the high temperatures in base. I dont think they will remove that feature. If they do that then they would need to remove the fixed O2 output temperature from Electrolizers.

25 minutes ago, Segato said:

We have enough problems trying to handle the high temperatures in base. I dont think they will remove that feature. If they do that then they would need to remove the fixed O2 output temperature from Electrolizers.

They wouldn't need to, but it would certainly make the game harder.  The fixed output temperature from electrolyzers is quite realistic, if you look at electrolyzers in real life, you've got the PEMs which operate around 70 C, the other kind which is at around 150 C, I forget the name, and then high temperature electrolysis at like 600 C.  So 70 C is not a random number, it's straight from current tech.  Also, if you recall, they cooled down lavatory and shower output with OU, assuming you were inputting geyser water, because if those outputted at input temp, then inputting geyser water would output pwater so hot that the germs would all die.  There are always tradeoffs.

2 hours ago, Kermack said:

Think Klei will ever remove the function of heat destruction regarding liquids and buildings?  An example is when you use abyssalite pipes to move 65c water to your hydroponic sleet wheat farm and still maintain a cold sleet wheat plant.

I don't see a problem with balancing the machines' output, since it can be fairly easily done.  The heat death problem would come back with a vengeance, sure, but we can also spam the base with refrigerators packed with food...  (This is a joke)

In truth, they'd need to make a decision whether to come up with a relatively easy and non-painful way of temperature control for early games for not-so-experienced players, if they are to tweak the output temperatures.

Irrigation is a bigger problem because it would mean that they need to consider irrigation temperature a factor in balancing the plants, and it will also pretty much render sleet wheat ungrowable because you can't lower water temperature below 0 without freezing it (in the game).  So doing this for irrigation will require a bigger effort in balancing or revamping the farming system.  Not just "a simple change and we're done" type of situation.

If wheezeworts were the only thing destroying temperature in the whole game universe, their number would heavily limit the maximum density of a colony. All endgame colonies would look similar.

In real life, most energy escapes Earth through infrared radiation to space. If this isn't modeled before heat destruction is removed, every colony will approach heat death very fast.

13 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

If wheezeworts were the only thing destroying temperature in the whole game universe, their number would heavily limit the maximum density of a colony. All endgame colonies would look similar.

In real life, most energy escapes Earth through infrared radiation to space. If this isn't modeled before heat destruction is removed, every colony will approach heat death very fast.

Well, if we eliminate the constant output, we will have basically 3 tools for destroying heat:

Wheezewort in Hydrogen: 12kW, doesn't need power

Hydrofan: 16kW (the x200 factor), uses up water, need a dupe to work it (translates to -400W power?)

Plugged Refrigerator filled with food: 22.85kW, -120W Power, need food in there, cools only down to 4C

4 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Well, if we eliminate the constant output, we will have basically 3 tools for destroying heat:

Wheezewort in Hydrogen: 12kW, doesn't need power

Hydrofan: 16kW (the x200 factor), uses up water, need a dupe to work it (translates to -400W power?)

Plugged Refrigerator filled with food: 22.85kW, -120W Power, need food in there, cools only down to 4C

I really need to plug my fridge back in and see if this is still a thing.

Aren't duplicants themselves emitting heat?

42 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

I really need to plug my fridge back in and see if this is still a thing.

Aren't duplicants themselves emitting heat?

I want to say no, but I really have no idea...

I assume dupes are like creatures and plants, where they don't produce extra heat, but rather whatever potential heat they had when they spawned.

1 hour ago, Reaniel said:

There is two kinds of non constant output. Output that is the same as the input of the building. And Output that is the same as the temperature of the building. I assume you are specifically talking about locking output temp to input temp. But I think they've even since converted some buildings to convert output tempt from input temp to building temp in the Outbreak update. I haven't looked at it personally but I think someone mentioned lavatories and showers are now this way.

12 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

I assume dupes are like creatures and plants, where they don't produce extra heat, but rather whatever potential heat they had when they spawned.

This is an interesting theory.

I'm inclined to think that they do - but have no evidence, only that we're feeding them kilocalorories ( measure of energy ), and that in the thermal overlay, the duplicants have a heat retention and heat loss ( measured in watts ) ...its in the info panel somewhere. I'm wondering what their stasis numbers are - and if they're like little batteries running around.

Only mention this because I saw snow melt while one was standing on it. And in the thermal overlay, they show up as being warm/hot.

This thermal comfort is pretty easy for me to grasp, the numbers and how they relate to body temperature losses is something I only vaguely have an understanding of with relation to heat stroke and hypothermia - I haven't studied it very much. 

7 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

This is an interesting theory.

I'm inclined to think that they do - but have no evidence, only that we're feeding them kilocalorories ( measure of energy ), and that in the thermal overlay, the duplicants have a heat retention and heat loss ( measured in watts ) ...its in the info panel somewhere. Umm wondering what their stasis numbers are - and if they're like little batteries running around.

Only mention this because I saw snow melt while one was standing on it. And in the thermal overlay, they show up as being warm/hot.

This thermal vomfort is pretty easy for me to grasp, the numbers and how they relate to body temperature losses is something I only vaguely have an understanding of with relation to heat stroke and hypothermia - I haven't studied it.

Yes, dupes gain and lose temperature, and generate something like 84watts of heat that they want to shed to maintain homeostasis. They want to maintain 37c but it can fluctuate depending on environment. They also consume 100g/s o2 and produce only like 2g/s C. So the act of breathing is heat destructive.

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

It's not.

Yep, they stealth-fixed it in OI.  A shame really, it was really fun lol

Now the food inside will not interact with the environment (it used to work like the Compactors where what's inside will heat up or cool down along with outside condition).

Archived