Save time, open doors

5 minutes ago, GrindThisGame said:

This may have already been mentioned but if you leave doors open for room types like the latrine and barracks etc, dupes will go in and out faster but the room type bonus will stay.

I don't think Klei cares if your doors are open are not.  Doors are just a way to mark the border of the room.  I think the room mechanic is more about *not* having 'industrial' gear mixed in with 'living' spaces.

4 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

I don't think Klei cares if your doors are open are not.  Doors are just a way to mark the border of the room.  I think the room mechanic is more about *not* having 'industrial' gear mixed in with 'living' spaces.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the "loud sleeper" mechanics work for machinery as well?

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the "loud sleeper" mechanics work for machinery as well?

I can't speak to the 'easier' part (not a coder myself), but yes, that would have been another way to have done it.  I could imagine the multitude of radiating graphics associated with that being a possible drain on the processor though.

8 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

I can't speak to the 'easier' part (not a coder myself), but yes, that would have been another way to have done it.  I could imagine the multitude of radiating graphics associated with that being a possible drain on the processor though.

If there's more things that make sounds, they could add an overlay for it.

The game is already complicated enough, better to not add more stuff that will make it tedious.

Also, the purpose of the room is to give a bonus if you meet the conditions. Not to give you a penalty if you have a machinery too close. Loud sleeper effect is a penalty.

If you are a new player, you will make mistakes, and you will have to learn how to make things right. Rooms are a good way to help people learn some basics. Sure, currents rooms are usually simple (bathroom, mess, barrack are really simple. The medical one is a little more complex), but it's good to have some easy to reach objective that will help you progress.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:17 PM, Lumina said:

The game is already complicated enough, better to not add more stuff that will make it tedious.

In my honest opinion - the whole game is based on overlapping multiple overlays mechanics... This is what makes it fun...

Regarding noise overlay - it also has the benefit of being intuitive. Even the new player would surly realize that placing a bed near some noisy machinery upon (or maybe even before) suffering some debuff, with an explanatory pop-up, warning that this isn't the best spot to sleep at, and that the floor was actually better, might not be the brightest idea ;)

Archived