Remove CO2 with lavatories

This is an old trick I originally used in the morbid oxygen build but since then how doors work have changed a few times. Now they destroy gases again if there is nowhere for the gas to go. So how can we exploit that. Well, simple, CO2 always goes to the bottom right corner of your base, so if you put something there that dupes have to go to, like for example a lavatory that they have to visit at least once per cycle, and you put doors if front of that all CO2 in the base will be destroyed. You can also use it with outhouses and compost heap since we know from tests that polluted oxygen in an oxygen environment does not move up or down but only moves sideways, we can put an outhouse and compost heap behind the doors and all polluted oxygen generated by these will also be destroyed.

Here a quick mash up on how it's built. Note the tiles above the doors are needed to ensure gas in the two middle doors have nowhere to go. It is also best to have an open structure so gases can enter from each side but if you have a small amount of dupes you might want to avoid that as that could also delete a fair amount of perfectly good clean oxygen.

For those interested I've included the link to my original build since archived threads are a bit hard to find on this forum.

2017-09-21.png

2 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I technically dont use it to destroy gas....just to stop it flowing to places I don't want it to:P

Sorry Blue, I was talking to @Saturnus :D

Using multiple airlocks and having them destroy gas at the expense of having no gas leakage was one thing, but actively exploiting it by directing footfall there is another :D I showed this a few bases back by having my exits at the bottom right above a co2 pit - the pit would stay perfectly filled, and any "rising" co2 was destroyed. It was unintentional - but it was noticed how effective it was. 

Some people just want to watch the world burn :p 

12 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

You fool - I go out of my way to dissuade people from using exploits, then you post one we discussed :D 

I don't think this is a big deal really. Eventually a base will outgrow relying on this bug/exploit but if it can help a few people avoid the horror of using algae terraria for basically the same thing then I think that's a good thing.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

I don't think this is a big deal really. Eventually a base will outgrow relying on this bug/exploit but if it can help a few people avoid the horror of using algae terraria for basically the same thing then I think that's a good thing.

I understand that - as ever, i'm not judging, but I do find it odd when people go out of their way to avoid using actual intended game mechanics :D 

Although I try not to use much of this stuff, sometimes there is no better option in game. I literally started using 4xairlock setups back on game release, and they've still remained a part of my bases to this day (albeit they were removed for a while when they were constantly supercooling and making my oxygen liquid....) because they're the easiest "legit" way to prevent the majority of gasses leaving an area. Honestly, more often than not the gas deletion bug is a nightmare, i.e. on my chlorine filled storage rooms, or oxygenated areas. 

Again, my stance is/has been/always will be : exploits are all well and good, use them as freely as you like, providing you don't complain when they get fixed :D 

There is a super-simple easy fix for the airlock problem. It's so blindly obvious that I'm sure Klei have thought of it. Just stop them from working if they are directly adjacent to another airlock. It's as simple as that. conservation of mass etc etc, all problems solved. Since the fix is so obvious and easy I assume Klei for some reason intentionally wants this bug to be used.  

22 minutes ago, GreatGameDota said:

Why is the title "Remove CO2 with lavatories" when the lavatories aren't actually doing that? But airlocks destroying gases has already been talked about a lot and for a long time now.

Because lavatories are the mechanics that makes it work. As I mention you need to have some kind of system that forces the dupes to go through the airlocks on a regular basis in order for the system to work. Since dupes have to go to lavatory once per cycle that is the mechanic that makes the system work. 

And if you look at my original thread where I initially invented the concept back in March. (I think I'm also the one that discovered that airlocks destroy gases in the first place back then but I'm not completely sure about that). So this is just a reiteration of that original concept, now that doors have the same glitch again. There's been several half-hearted attempts by Klei to rework how airlocks work over the last six months but really the only thing that would work is as I described above.

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

As I mention you need to have some kind of system that forces the dupes to go through the airlocks on a regular basis in order for the system to work. Since dupes have to go to lavatory once per cycle that is the mechanic that makes the system work. 

That isn't the lavatories destroying the Co2 bud :)

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Maybe you're just not getting it at all :D

If you instead replace that lavatory with an exit to have your dupes dig something, would you say that exit is destroying the CO2? Or the dig command is? I completely understand what your explaining, I'm just saying what you said was misleading.

5 minutes ago, GreatGameDota said:

If you instead replace that lavatory with an exit to have your dupes dig something, would you say that exit is destroying the CO2? Or the dig command is? I completely understand what your explaining, I'm just saying what you said was misleading.

No. It isn't. And no, the exit wouldn't be destroying the CO2 reliably as I already said because you have no guarantee dupes will leave on a regular basis or unless you do access control as well that they'll use the exit at all.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

No. It isn't. And no, the exit wouldn't be destroying the CO2 reliably as I already said because you have no guarantee dupes will leave on a regular basis or unless you do access control as well that they'll use the exit at all.

OK I get what you were trying to say. I misinterpreted the title thinking you were directly saying the lavs were removing the CO2 but your title says "with Lavatories" which doesn't directly say that. Sorry for the confusion!

Just now, GreatGameDota said:

OK I get what you were trying to say. I misinterpreted the title thinking you were directly saying the lavs were removing the CO2 but your title says "with Lavatories" which doesn't directly say that. Sorry for the confusion!

No worries. I'm just a bit frustrated with the oil upgrade atm, so I might have been a bit carried away. But yes, the lavatories are the mechanic that ensures the doors will be used so that CO2 is destroyed in a regular and predictable manor.

However, with CO2 now actually being useful in oil upgrade (which I btw would not recommend trying out before a few bug fixes have been released) as you can feed it to Slickers and get oil, there's really no reason to destroy CO2 anymore.

22 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

However, with CO2 now actually being useful in oil upgrade (which I btw would not recommend trying out before a few bug fixes have been released) as you can feed it to Slickers and get oil, there's really no reason to destroy CO2 anymore.

Yep! Can't wait to play with the Slickters!

14 hours ago, Saturnus said:

CO2 was always useful for generating fuel for as long as fert makers made natgas.

Archived