Air scrubber/carbon skimmer in a vacuum bug?

Been having an issue since before the patch with my air scrubbers in all games.

The air scrubber is in a room full of CO2 and is working, the issue is that it works only by outputting one blob of water every 10 or so seconds. Very slow.

After some fiddling I realized that it was because the place where the scrubber sucks in air is on a vacuum. The room is full of CO2 but that one spot is a vacuum.

Occasionally a couple or grams of CO2 will diffuse there and the scrubber will work for a second. Not even long enough to see the intake details when you mouse over.

I cant seem to find anyone else having this bug though.

I remember it working fine when I first started playing months ago.

15 minutes ago, Icedragonair said:

Thats my point. The room is FULL of CO2. All but that one spot. The adjacent spot has 100g. Or is that too low? What should the level be so it will work effectively?

That too low pressure to work effectively. Gases diffuse when there's no other gases to exert pressure on them. Gases, even CO2, don't just fall to the bottom like a liquid and leave a vacuum at the top, rather they equalize pressure over the entire area they fill.

The carbon skimmer will passively absorb up to 300g of CO2 without outputting polluted water or consuming power.

If the nearby CO2 pressure is low enough it wont be able to pull in 300g per second so it will take what it can in to its contents then wait for more. Look at the contents in a low enough C02 pressure and you will see C02 tick up up 300g then it will animate and spit out 1000g of polluted water.

To best see this in action for yourself you can lock a dupe up like this. They exhale 20g packets in ticks so you can see how the skimmer works.

image.thumb.png.72dd468817a92804692a7afe2f9f8c44.png

Running carbon skimmer in near vacuum has another issue - it will overheat. If you keep it in sufficient pressure of CO2, the CO2 will be able to absorb the heat the skimmer generates before it gets processed and in the process, that heat (together with any heat in incoming water) is destroyed. The skimmer still produces polluted water at constant 40 C.

Had the same problem with my carbon one in the room for the Gas Output of the N Gas Generator. Did solved with making it out of Gold algram and then the second time added a atmo switch so it didn't drop to vacuum. With that also some clean water got at the bottom to cool it down.

Archived