Germs dying requirements - please explain

it means that if the germs are in gas (example: oxygen), they will begin to die at a certain rate, usually around 50-75% a cycle. With polluted oxygen, food poisoning dies a lot slower, while Slimelung actually grows in PO2 (at this point the best way to clear it is with a deodorizer). 

"Disinfected by" usually means that the disinfectant (usually chlorine) needs to be near the germ source. For example, a germ-covered storage compactor placed in chlorine will be completely disinfected within one cycle.

I had my waste PH2O from Lavatory and Showers going into a pool, after reading the specifics about food poisoning (as you did) I decided to put my germy PH2O through a purifier (removing SOME germs into the polluted dirt it occasionally emits) and turning it to germy fresh H2O, then pumping that germy fresh H2O to my electrolyzers.  This created germ filled O2 and H2, but the germs completely died in the pure O2 gas before making it 3 tiles from the exhaust vent.

The same is true of Slimelung I believe, it dies in gasses other than PO2, though I have only tested with food poisoning.  It is an effective way of dealing with the germ filled PH2O tanks we all have without going through a power/thermally intensive process of getting back to clean H2O, and it gives you a bit more longevity out of your clean H2O tanks since your essentially using the original water twice, once for the bathrooms, then again for the electrolyzers, as opposed to pumping from you clean water pool directly to both the electrolyzers and bathroom facilities.

1 hour ago, mdallicardillo said:

I had my waste PH2O from Lavatory and Showers going into a pool, after reading the specifics about food poisoning (as you did) I decided to put my germy PH2O through a purifier (removing SOME germs into the polluted dirt it occasionally emits) and turning it to germy fresh H2O, then pumping that germy fresh H2O to my electrolyzers.  This created germ filled O2 and H2, but the germs completely died in the pure O2 gas before making it 3 tiles from the exhaust vent.

The same is true of Slimelung I believe, it dies in gasses other than PO2, though I have only tested with food poisoning.  It is an effective way of dealing with the germ filled PH2O tanks we all have without going through a power/thermally intensive process of getting back to clean H2O, and it gives you a bit more longevity out of your clean H2O tanks since your essentially using the original water twice, once for the bathrooms, then again for the electrolyzers, as opposed to pumping from you clean water pool directly to both the electrolyzers and bathroom facilities.

ah this is good to know - I've been sending my germy ph2o to hydroponic tiles seeded with thimble reed - sucking up 160kg per cycle, they can never get enough off of showers and what not, but this setup you have is far better water management and conservation strategy for sure.

18 hours ago, mdallicardillo said:

The same is true of Slimelung I believe, it dies in gasses other than PO2, though I have only tested with food poisoning.

It is, but slimelung seems to be more resilient. I dumped a ton of germy algae into my deoxidizers and my base had moderate amount of slimelung floating around despite not having any pO2 in it. Not enough to infect anyone (not even on weak immune system setting), but noticeable.

4 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It is, but slimelung seems to be more resilient. I dumped a ton of germy algae into my deoxidizers and my base had moderate amount of slimelung floating around despite not having any pO2 in it. Not enough to infect anyone (not even on weak immune system setting), but noticeable.

13% dead per cycle on most ordinary gases and solids with Slimelung. It annoys me a bit how it can survive for nearly 8 cycles in the middle of a chunk of igneous rock.

Just now, FloomRide said:

13% dead per cycle on most ordinary gases and solids with Slimelung. It annoys me a bit how it can survive for nearly 8 cycles in the middle of a chunk of igneous rock.

Does the rock border actual slime?

Any solid tile adjacent to a slime tile will most likely be pumped with enough slimelung to trigger auto-disinfect (if it is a building) and overpopulation.

Germs spread around to all adjacent tiles of the same phase (gas/liquid/solid).

4 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Does the rock border actual slime?

Any solid tile adjacent to a slime tile will most likely be pumped with enough slimelung to trigger auto-disinfect (if it is a building) and overpopulation.

Germs spread around to all adjacent tiles of the same phase (gas/liquid/solid).

Didn't know about that last bit, cleared a few worries I had.

In my comment, I was referring to a large vein of igneous rock near my starting biome that I wanted to dig through for resources, but it spawned covered in slimelung for some reason. Not a huge deal, it just confuses me why the germs exist there in the first place.

Archived