Asteroid Surfacism - floating off into space

Could we include the surface of the asteroid in the gameplay in a good way ?

Making the surface of the asteroid a part of the game would definately add a seriously cool new angle to the game.

And lots of new gaming elements. Solar arrays. Space suits. Heat dissipation panels.

Or as Bluelance said - "All of a sudden your dupe dies due to floating off into space because of Low Gravity XD"

What else could the surface be good for?

You took a few of the things i would have mentioned right out of my mouth,

• Spacesuits, require a lot of time, or semi time consuming resources and need to be filled with oxygen (A pipe leading to the spacesuit dock which uses clean oxygen, dupes can spend x amount of time in space before the suit needs refilled.
  • Solar Arrays for energy, they would only be able to function during "Day" when the sun hits that side of the asteroid.
  • Vacuum cooling, space should be cold.
  • Random asteroid impacts which deposit small amounts of new rare materials, whilst also causing destruction around the impact site.
  • It can suck away gas from your base similar to a void so needs to be airlocked properly.
  • Some asteroids could also contain a difficult to deal with disease (I think the inside of an asteroid should be marked as "Unknown" so a player has a choice of risking exposure for a great gain)
  • There could be glaciers which can give players some ice so do what they want with
  • Dupes can be sucked into space and lost if you do something silly

I think the "surface" of the asteroid should be at the bottom of the map, to make the gravity come from centrifugal force. The map can wrap around on either side, and maybe have a molten core at the "top". Think of the added peril of working on the surface without falling helplessly into space, or having to worry about molten lava flooding your living space because you dug too far up...

18 hours ago, Pseudonymico said:

I think the "surface" of the asteroid should be at the bottom of the map, to make the gravity come from centrifugal force. The map can wrap around on either side, and maybe have a molten core at the "top". Think of the added peril of working on the surface without falling helplessly into space, or having to worry about molten lava flooding your living space because you dug too far up...

That would be a funny unexpected experience :). We need magboots so we can walk upside down on the surface of the asteroid.

Should probably be explained to the player through a story element to make any kind o sense.

That wouldnt work? We have gravity at the bottom because it is the "Core" of the asteroid.

The further from the core the less gravity there would be, Also the world is ran gen you can actually get lava above your base, it will be in a basin with abysallite below it. But its easy to spot because you can see like 15 tiles through the wall.

The asteroid is way to small to have significant gravity. The easiest explanation is centrifugal force.  A hot core would be a remnant of a collision or something. Which also explain the fairly strong spin. needed for the observed acceleration.  

Or tidal forces, now that I think about it. But then "gravity" would flip once in a while. That would also explain the heat: tidal heating. And the geysers, ...

18 minutes ago, xsansara said:

The easiest explanation is centrifugal force.

Nope, the easiest explanation is that the map is just a slice of the whole asteroid. Even with extreme centrifugal/tidal forces, having actual magma is highly unlikely, it would prob just break itself apart before forming magma.

I also view the map as just a slice of the asteroid as far as gravity goes. But since asteroids don't nearly have enough gravity and pressure to produce the environment we see, combined with neutronium walls and ruins inside, the explanation I like to go with is an artificial gravity source in the asteroid's core.

Just now, Sevio said:

I also view the map as just a slice of the asteroid as far as gravity goes. But since asteroids don't nearly have enough gravity and pressure to produce the environment we see, combined with neutronium walls and ruins inside, the explanation I like to go with is an artificial gravity source in the asteroid's core.

Now I want to make my own gravity source... And make them walk upside down heheh

On 8/7/2017 at 8:06 AM, BlueLance said:

Vacuum cooling, space should be cold.

This actually does not work IRL: space is cold only in the sense that what is out there has little thermal energy. But there is very little there in the first place. So things don't really get cooled out there. ONI has the same principle: try building a battery in a vacuum room and watch what happens. Pump in a few grams of supercold hydrogen, build the battery again, and watch exactly the same thing happen.

However, you can remove heat from an object in space by forcing it to emit radiation. I hope that ONI will get to this point eventually: scrap all the heat deletion mechanisms, replace them with larger scale heat movement mechanisms, and then use external radiators as the only way to avoid heat death of the asteroid.

Archived