Lost a dupe to decision paralysis

I've seen it before but yesterday was the first time it killed one. I wish I thought the save my game at that instant.

What happened was a dupe was suffocating in a CO2 atmosphere and was trying to leave.  It had available options to leave but kept waffling between two possible choices while other dupes were running passed it to and from tasks. I tried to have the ladder piece of one of its paths deconstructed, and that seemed to work but he died just as he was about to climb out.  Literally 1 more second and he'd probably be alive. :(

Has anyone seen it? Are the devs aware of the situation? Does anyone know how to avoid it beyond the obvious of don't give them multiple paths?

It's well known thing, reported number of times. Pretty often if you save and load the game the instant it happens, the dupe gets out of it. I'm not sure why exactly does it happen but it feels like asymmetry of the pathfinder is playing a role, the dupe does a step and then it seems to him that oxygen bubble on the other side is closer than the one he's going after. But that's just a guess and it may be caused by something else.

It happens after a dupe jumps it makes a new decision and jumps back new decision. And it continues till it gets out or dies. 

If I se a spot like that I try to re designee that spot because it probably will happen again.

But the most interesting bug I got from when I had 100 dupes was that they forgot to not hold breath anymore, lost one dupe to that and after that I stopped using fastest speed. 

16 hours ago, Whispershade said:

I've seen it before but yesterday was the first time it killed one. I wish I thought the save my game at that instant.

What happened was a dupe was suffocating in a CO2 atmosphere and was trying to leave.  It had available options to leave but kept waffling between two possible choices while other dupes were running passed it to and from tasks. I tried to have the ladder piece of one of its paths deconstructed, and that seemed to work but he died just as he was about to climb out.  Literally 1 more second and he'd probably be alive. :(

Has anyone seen it? Are the devs aware of the situation? Does anyone know how to avoid it beyond the obvious of don't give them multiple paths?

This is very strange, because I had same problem around same time yesterday... Exact same situation!

Well still better then my Dupe. I rescued him with a red alert and instead of stopping and catching a breath he ran up to the lavoratory in the base and died in 2000g pressure of oxygen because he wanted to pee before he took a breath...

I really would like to have a different set of priorities... like breath > eat > pee maybe? I rather mop up a bit of dirty water then have a dupe die on me.

Archived