Self Powered Oxygen Production

You want to shorten the stretch between the pump and the source wherever possible; this allows better control over the pressure at the source, which is the main limitation on electrolyzer uptime.

There have been some threads with many similar designs, but this Electrowheeze design the one I've been using. Here's the main picture just so it looks nicer in the thread:

ElectroWheezeDefault.png?version=d2e461a

By using wheezeworts to remove the oxygen, it has double the flow rate of the pump, can reach higher oxygen pressures outside (around 2.5 kg), cools the oxygen coming out of the electrolyzer, and requires no power.

By using the shortest possible path for the hydrogen, it ensures that it maintains tight control over the pressure of hydrogen, which should stay close to 600g (to prevent destabilization).

A mechanical filter is used to filter the hydrogen in case it does destabilize (in long-running colonies I find that lagginess affects the stability of mechanical separators); it vents any accidentally-acquired oxygen into the channel to the wheezewort.

I wonder if you made that as an independent discovery (in that case hats down) or if you were inspired by designs that appeared on reddit and in some playthrough videos. A lot of it actually started here on forums.

One strange thing I heard about it and eventually confirmed in my base, it's significantly less stable when mirrored horizontally (with electrolyzer on the left and hydrogen pump on the right). I guess it may have something to do with the tile where both oxygen and hydrogen are deployed by the electrolyzer.

3 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

You probably want to lower the left most wheezewort by 1 square, that way it'll pull directly from the bottom one instead through it's pot :)

I assume you mean the one on the right, but there was some experimentation done and it turns out that it actually works much better pulling through the pot. If anything, I might raise both wheezeworts by one cell, so it's also going through the pot on the way from the electrolyzer.

I had them at the bottom of the base and lowered vases acted as a CO2 trap in case dupe decided to breath the freshest air in the base. If I close off the wheezeworts with gas permeable tiles I might have to try it myself, thanks!

On 7/3/2017 at 2:49 PM, Kasuha said:

One strange thing I heard about it and eventually confirmed in my base, it's significantly less stable when mirrored horizontally (with electrolyzer on the left and hydrogen pump on the right).

I assume it's because hydrogen likes to flow to the left.

I'm finding that I have to chose between low power or high oxygen output.  With a set up like the image below, I can get pretty close to the theoretical output rate of the electrolyzer.  However, it is almost always pulling around 720 watts once things get rolling.  On the other hand, the electo-wheeze design shown near the top of this thread uses very little power.  Unfortunately, the electro-wheeze design gives me about 200kg/cycle of oxygen where the side-by-side design is usually 450kg+ and often into the 500s with 532.8kg/cycle being the theoretical maximum output of an electrolyzer.  

Another disadvantage of the electro-wheeze design is that gas spreads slowly.  I often find myself with oxygen-starved locations and have to build a second pump anyway just to move the oxygen where its needed.  I've also tried a columnar design, with a pump above the electrolyzer and a pump below.  This can provide a steady 300kg/cycle of oxygen and uses less power than having the fans beside each other.  Unfortunately, that design tends to get hot, even with wheezewarts in the chamber.  I'm still experimenting, trying to find the best design.  

Have others noticed the same things? 

oxygen generator test 2b.JPG

This thread is still a useful resource for electrolyzer designs:

The open version I'm using on the right of the picture below proved very stable during disruption tests (due to the 1 extra vertical space for the hydrogen) but should still be compact enough to sprinkle around in different locations of your base to distribute oxygen production. Not reaching max throughput isn't really a problem that way.

59451aa16a8fa_Electrolyzerroomtesting2.j

Atmo switches are there to disable the hydrogen pump if hydrogen gets too low (or too high), and to disable the electrolyzer if oxygen gets too high (saving power). I sadly neglected to post the settings I used in that thread but values of above 600, below 1200 should work for hydrogen and below 1600 for oxygen, some tuning may be required.

On 3.7.2017 at 7:07 PM, rezecib said:

By using wheezeworts to remove the oxygen, it has double the flow rate of the pump, can reach higher oxygen pressures outside (around 2.5 kg), cools the oxygen coming out of the electrolyzer, and requires no power.

By using the shortest possible path for the hydrogen, it ensures that it maintains tight control over the pressure of hydrogen, which should stay close to 600g (to prevent destabilization).

A mechanical filter is used to filter the hydrogen in case it does destabilize (in long-running colonies I find that lagginess affects the stability of mechanical separators); it vents any accidentally-acquired oxygen into the channel to the wheezewort.

Does anyone have any numbers for this system? I build the proposed second one (not in the picture) and it seems to be turning on and off an awful lot. Since the Debug mode is really not my forte i thought i would ask around if anyone has tested it against a closed system?

It seems to me that the pressure design only produces at around 50%. So does that mean that it also only takes 0,5 kg of water and you could simply add a second one behind the first one?

5 hours ago, Dead_eye said:

Does anyone have any numbers for this system? I build the proposed second one (not in the picture) and it seems to be turning on and off an awful lot. Since the Debug mode is really not my forte i thought i would ask around if anyone has tested it against a closed system?

Exact numbers depend on the pressure that the wheezewort output reaches, since that determines the backflow along the wheezewort staircase.

I don't think anyone has a model for how gas flow over pressure gradients actually works in the game right now. If we get one then you should be able to get a theoretical calculation of its efficiency. Perhaps a good experiment for someone to try :P. I would do it but I will be out running around in the sweltering heat today :wilson_cry:

So that electrowheeze design is awesome.  i don't really trust the power reporting stuff but it usually net 160kj with 180kg oxygen production.  maybe just cuz of the way i set mine up in debug testing - it ran pretty hot.  

i feel the mechanical filter is a little bit of an exploit for a couple reasons - a pipe bridge wouldn't actually prioritize flow unless it had some kind of mechanical valve thing in it, and the gas valve set to really low intake wouldn't take only the gas to be filtered - it would take both -  it's just that this game can't have mixing of gases in the same packet.   that said - i'm not really sure i care as i don't see that gas behavior changing and this will prolly stay in the game

i'm not sure i quite set the filter up properly cuz this is my first time trying it - here's a pic

Spoiler

CnHgFni.jpg

it took from very start of cycle 65 to a little after midday cycle 77 to charge 36 batteries to full from 0 - the initial battery on the left started at 40kj when i flipped the switch

Spoiler

VGdVgZQ.jpg

hphX2pM.jpg

i've tried other self oxygen generation designs (a couple of my own) and this seems to be the easiest to setup cuz it doesn't seem to require priming the chamber with the specific mix of gases since it's not a closed system, only the mechanical filter needs to be primed with hydrogen - which is easy, it produces alot of power imo for being self powering, and it also seems like it could be done pretty early in a non debug game as long as yeh find some wheezewort seeds/plants

Archived