Best Character to Start With for a Beginner?

1 hour ago, StarmanNess said:

I agree with the Willow part, but I still stand my ground on avoiding Wigfrid in the beginning. After all, she's one of the last unlocks in the original game for a reason.

The reason she was one of the last unlocks is because she was one of the last ones to be added, not because she is difficult or requires skill.

Besides - what does it matter if a player likes battle helm?  I like balloons, so I play wes.  If I liked Valkyrie helms I would play wig.

Starting with a helm and weapon can help you play with combat a bit more.  Some people like playing with combat, and she is a better character for a beginner who wants to fight everything than Wolfgang.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Starting with a helm and weapon can help you play with combat a bit more.  Some people like playing with combat, and she is a better character for a beginner who wants to fight everything than Wolfgang.

But you're missing the point here: Developing a playstyle using Wigfrid is going to make any beginner suffer more in the long run. Why? Because you get so used to having her equipment on you always and you get used to having lifesteal and you get so used to tanking that you can't really play outside of Wigfrid. The reason I said she's one of the last unlocks is because by the time someone would've unlocked her, they already get how the game works and their playstyle and overall skill won't be based off of Wigfrid.

And another thing, you really expect a beginner to know how the crockpot works? She kinda needs that to do well, otherwise it's going to be suffering up until that point.

12 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

But you're missing the point here: Developing a playstyle using Wigfrid is going to make any beginner suffer more in the long run. Why? Because you get so used to having her equipment on you always and you get used to having lifesteal and you get so used to tanking that you can't really play outside of Wigfrid. The reason I said she's one of the last unlocks is because by the time someone would've unlocked her, they already get how the game works and their playstyle and overall skill won't be based off of Wigfrid.

And another thing, you really expect a beginner to know how the crockpot works? She kinda needs that to do well, otherwise it's going to be suffering up until that point.

Yeah man, I get so used to using Wickerbottom and having science machine unlocked at the start of the game...

Yeah man, I get so used to having Wolfgang 2x damage bonus...

Yeah man, I get so used to having Wilsons beard in winter...

Yeah man, I get so used to having Maxwell sanity bonus...

So what if a player likes a characters perks?  My point in recommending her is that she is more forgiving to people who aren't familiar with combat.  They can take a few hits and keep fighting.  If they get better at dodging - they will naturally move away from her as you can be much more effective with Wolfgang in the same situations - but if you never get that good, or like being able to take a few hits - what is wrong with liking that?

Wigfrid doesn't need a crock pot - she can eat monster meat and farm up her sanity / health.  Further: Crock pot is an easy science machine craft that EVERYONE should learn how to use anyway... so what is the problem with that?

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Combat carries over to other characters unlike Wilson's forgettable beard.

You're going to tank with Wigfrid because it works most of the time and limits the things you have to care about. Later on tanking is good for downing enemies quicker, but you should discriminate when it's appropriate. Yes it is more forgiving and can be useful for practice, but you can't really see the point if it's the first character you start with.

I mained Wigfrid in DST and had zero issues transitioning onto other characters without face tanking everything (that costs a fair bit of materials which you learn pretty fast). People are really trying to get into the deep details here, but in reality when I was new to DST, only about 2 posts of this 4 page thread would have been useful to me at all. I'm not even sure if a lot of walls of text here have been read by newcomers. Think it's best not to assume so much and just give some light advice to those that ask and otherwise let them discover and trial/error.

I would say Wigfrid, Wilson, Wicker, Wendy, WX-78 are all pretty easy characters to start with, as well as that transitioning to any other character can easily happen at the early stages once you understand the management of the 3 basic mechanics of DST (Hunger / Sanity / Health). A quick look through the wiki on those stats can teach you a lot of the games methods to restoring them.

13 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Think it's best not to assume so much and just give some light advice to those that ask and otherwise let them discover and trial/error.

Exploring this game is one of the best things of DST. :D 

Btw, I don't think Wigfrid is that easy to start with, she's the only one I starved with as a beginner. Back then getting food was a real challenge, and sometimes I just couldn't find any meat.

9 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Yeah man, I get so used to using Wickerbottom and having science machine unlocked at the start of the game...

Yeah man, I get so used to having Wolfgang 2x damage bonus...

Yeah man, I get so used to having Wilsons beard in winter...

Yeah man, I get so used to having Maxwell sanity bonus...

Yeah, man, and that's why you only see Wilson and Wickerbottom being suggested here instead of Wolfgang and Maxwell...

2 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

Yeah, man, and that's why you only see Wilson and Wickerbottom being suggested here instead of Wolfgang and Maxwell...

When someone asks what characters are good for a beginner - they are saying what gives them the least other things to worry about so they can learn the game basics.

Wilson -> no downsides really

Wickerbottom -> free science machine

Willow -> free lighter and sanity decoy

Wigfrid -> free weapon and armor, with damage increase and defense buff

These are great starter characters because they give good bonuses to help you explore the game without very large penalties.

Maxwell -> shadow puppets, but only 75 health

Wolfgang -> super hunger drain

Wes -> super hunger drain and damage debuff

These are not great starter characters because you have to deal with their downsides.  Who cares that Wickerbottom can't sleep?  Once you learn to cook and eat monster meat, Wigfrid is super easy too.  I'd put Webber on the list of "super easy, but won't recommend to newcomer" because it changes which mobs are friendly and which are hostile, and that changes what you learn about the game.

Wigfrid taking a few hits doesn't change what you learn about the game.  When Wigfrid was first released I played her a bit and found the resources needed to tank enemies drained what I had to build with, so I naturally moved away from tanking.  It was great to learn the patterns of the different mobs that simply killed me before, by having the flexibility to take a hit or two during the fight.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

When someone asks what characters are good for a beginner - they are saying what gives them the least other things to worry about so they can learn the game basics.

Which is why Wilson is a good beginner character, because when you say the least things to worry about, advantages are something you worry about. Learning how to play as Wigfrid, a combat oriented character, is going to make your playstyle more combat oriented. For a beginner, they know jack squat about combat. So it wouldn't be wise to suggest a combat character to someone who's probably going to avoid combat.

9 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Exploring this game is one of the best things of DST. :D 

Btw, I don't think Wigfrid is that easy to start with, she's the only one I starved with as a beginner. Back then getting food was a real challenge, and sometimes I just couldn't find any meat.

That's actually not a bad thing at all, you're supposed to be learning, and in learning you're going to die. This is somewhat a rogue like after all and that's generally how you learn is from failure. The hunger mechanic is pretty much step 1 to master, any deaths from it should be teaching you more about it. For me I had the opposite experience, I learned early that Wigfrid had combat stat restoration (read on Wiki), so why not just eat monster meat? (also read on Wiki) After that I made a ton of meatballs lol, This is also a multiplayer game so learning tricks off other players was super easy as well. Monkey see monkey do, survival on Wigfrid was very easy for me in terms of hunger. Everyone is different though I suppose.

You're restricted to meat meals, but meat meals are the most preferred anyway, so alike wicker, they have really minuscule downsides.

30 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

That's actually not a bad thing at all, you're supposed to be learning, and in learning you're going to die.

Oh, I didn't mean at all that it would be bad, just pointed out the fact, that she's the only I starved with as a beginner. ;) Back there I didn't read the wiki at all (was still just exploring), I didn't even know about the existence of it. I also didn't fight much, so I couldn't use her advantages. But after I got a stable knowledge about cooking, I didn't have this problem any more.

So as a summary, I'd say that Wigfrid is good if you know the very basics at least or have a good team, but the best for the very beginning.

On 7/10/2017 at 4:02 AM, Cheetos said:

People are really trying to get into the deep details here, but in reality when I was new to DST, only about 2 posts of this 4 page thread would have been useful to me at all. I'm not even sure if a lot of walls of text here have been read by newcomers.

Nani? Are you suggesting that infighting between forum users isn't useful? What in the name of Sam Hill are you thinking? Blasphemous fool.

I suggest Wilson. He's Balanced and simple to use for beginners and for experienced players. His Beard perk is useful for first winters & his hair style just makes me jealous of his swagger.

He's Balanced so his attacks aren't lowered or increased, honestly, If I didn't have Wolfgang..Wigfrid would be 1st and Wilson would be 2nd just because of how much easier it is to play the game without losing hunger fast or going insane quicker or even low health (annoys me). Wilson is really basic but can be used to benefit anybody if played right. That goes for any character tbh. You gotta have a preference and see what you're good at and blah blah lets eat meat!

Archived