Hydrogen Cooling Systems

6 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

It's not a big drawback for fully enclosed systems with tightly controlled temperatures, like ones encountered in the game. Unless the flammability skipped the requirement for oxygen.

But then, drawbacks like that don't really work - they hurt new players, but experienced players quickly learn to work around them with minimum effort.

The same things that make hydrogen the best coolant are the things that make it leak out of systems that were supposedly fully enclosed, and uncontrol those tightly controlled temps :)  You can say drawbacks like that don't really work...but that's the thing. They do really work, as in, they are real, in the real world, doing work.

They don't work in games, because games do not simulate the things needed for them to work. And when they try to do, they do it only halfway and there is another exploit that still works.

Real world is not a good inspiration for balancing, because real world doesn't have the concept of balanced gameplay.

1 hour ago, Trego said:

hydrogen's greatest drawback (the Hindenburg drawback).

Hydrogen's greatest drawback is that it is hard to contain. Since its molecules are small, it keeps escaping through material imperfections. And yes, it can then make an explosive mixture, but that's easy to avoid by storing it in open space. But it also takes a lot of space to store, even when liquefied.

Bottles of natural gas are commonplace and nobody has issues with 'hindenburg effect'. Natural gas does not escape so easily and has much higher energy contents.

5 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Hydrogen's greatest drawback is that it is hard to contain. Since its molecules are small, it keeps escaping through material imperfections. And yes, it can then make an explosive mixture, but that's easy to avoid by storing it in open space. But it also takes a lot of space to store, even when liquefied.

Bottles of natural gas are commonplace and nobody has issues with 'hindenburg effect'. Natural gas does not escape so easily and has much higher energy contents.

Yea, natural gas is totally harmless.  Tell that to my dead friend.

14 hours ago, Kasuha said:

That's not what I wrote.

And ignoring the leakage effect of hydrogen doesn't match what I wrote, but who's keeping score.  Fine, strike the first sentence from my reply, it works just as well.  (New exchange would then be: Kasuha : Bottles of natural gas are commonplace and nobody has issues with 'hindenburg effect'  Me: Tell that to my dead friend.) ( That first sentence wasn't intended to be taken literally, fyi, it was supposed to connote "wow, you really said that when it's 99.7% likely that someone reading your post knows someone who died in a fire caused by a gas leak? I am surprised. But sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet, as we all know)  In addition to my friend who horrifically lost his life at the age of 24 some years ago, it also happens to be true that the house 2 doors down from me suffered a major fire which started from their natural gas dryer a few weeks ago, exact cause unknown, so yea, I get a little triggered when someone says no one has an issue with natural gas causing fires.

I think the issue at hand is that while, yes, there are certainly risks to using flammable fuels, we readily do so. We consider them safe enough for consumer use. And while gas leaks do exist and are a risk, they're not usually considered a particularly high risk in maintained, undamaged arrangements. I don't want to speak for Kasuha, but I interpreted his/her argument to be that the level of material sophistication in containing hydrogen is high and that even minor defects can prevent containment, this is not the case with other volatile gasses.

Archived