Duplicants getting old ?

I wonder how it could be interesting to propose a system where duplicants get old. By doing that you fully use the concept of graves, you will have to manage your team by minding their ages : an example, a duplicant who got 100cycles is less faster than a young 20 cycles duplicant, and so on.

And eventually at the end, they died because of time ^^ , and then you also fully use the system of new duplicants coming, How many duplicants we rejected because we already have our full team operationnal.

What do you think about this ??

This would be very interesting, especially if they begin to require a material component to print dupes. It would require players to gather large quantities of genetic ooze. I for one would love to have a giant vat of green goo in my base. 

Also.. bonus points to anyone who can give a "semi-scientifical" guestimation of a dupe lifespan in cycles base on in game info

I'd rather see them stay less natural, more like artificial creatures. They already act like beings adapted to the space, with ability to hold breath in vacuum, detect oxygen (humans only detect CO2 and inhalation of methane or hydrogen doesn't feel like anything until blackout), hold breath while asleep, extract oxygen from near-vacuum by wheezing forcefully, survive heavy hypothermia and heat stroke and so on.

Instead of getting old per se, they could accumulate toxins from the environment. This would give player incentive to detoxify everything. Detoxification could require a lengthy and/or expensive reconvalescence process or just a lot of time spent in non-toxic environment.

This would allow keeping "favorite dupes" without forced rotation, make dupe rotation a smart choice for "crude" colonies, and give the incentive to actually produce oxygen instead of keeping everyone spored+stenched.

3 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

I'd rather see them stay less natural, more like artificial creatures. They already act like beings adapted to the space, with ability to hold breath in vacuum, detect oxygen (humans only detect CO2 and inhalation of methane or hydrogen doesn't feel like anything until blackout), hold breath while asleep, extract oxygen from near-vacuum by wheezing forcefully, survive heavy hypothermia and heat stroke and so on.

Instead of getting old per se, they could accumulate toxins from the environment. This would give player incentive to detoxify everything. Detoxification could require a lengthy and/or expensive reconvalescence process or just a lot of time spent in non-toxic environment.

This would allow keeping "favorite dupes" without forced rotation, make dupe rotation a smart choice for "crude" colonies, and give the incentive to actually produce oxygen instead of keeping everyone spored+stenched.

I actually like this idea a lot, it puts a lifespan in which players have more control of and can influence a players choices in games, such as certain biomes being more toxic than others causing a player to avoid them, or risk having only certain dupes enter the zones (Would make the Mechanical airlock useful for a change when powered)

18 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I actually like this idea a lot, it puts a lifespan in which players have more control of and can influence a players choices in games, such as certain biomes being more toxic than others causing a player to avoid them, or risk having only certain dupes enter the zones (Would make the Mechanical airlock useful for a change when powered)

Yes, and also dupes age would depend on the quallity of life :)

Better food, better happiness, more expensive Pleasures etc. = longer life span :)

5 hours ago, SmallMuffin11 said:

Yes, and also dupes age would depend on the quallity of life :)

Better food, better happiness, more expensive Pleasures etc. = longer life span :)

I like the idea of diet affecting life expectancy. Too much meal lice is just disgusting.

Archived