question about thimble-reed propagation

So I'm running into an issue with propagating thimble-reed.  I can find the seeds in the wild, no problem.  I even plant in the native biome.  But I don't see an optimum temp band for thimble-reed when I mouse-over the planted thimble reed.  The result is that whether I grow it in the wild or in my base I consistently get a couple harvests and then it's done and gone and I need to go gather more seed in the wild.  The long term result of this is that it's not renewable for me -- and there aren't enough reeds in the wild to make more than a few suits for my dupes.

I am hoping someone here can tell me the optimum band (and maybe why I can't seem to find it -- probably just stupidity on my part and overlooking it I hope).  If I can get it to excellent I ought to be able to gather seeds when it matures and is out of harvests, right?

Or is thimble-reed intended to be non-renewable and I just need to be more cautious about the clothes I craft and only do a few of each type and more closely who wears what and when?

I plant them in aquatic farm tiles and generally put a layer of water on top of it more than one tile high.  (so as to not stifle them)  So I'm afraid it's nothing that simple.  I mean, I CAN cultivate them, I just can't get them to "excellent" to get seeds back.

3 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

I plant them in aquatic farm tiles and generally put a layer of water on top of it more than one tile high.  (so as to not stifle them)  So I'm afraid it's nothing that simple.  I mean, I CAN cultivate them, I just can't get them to "excellent" to get seeds back.

I'm not sure if it's still the case as i've not checked for a few weeks - but have you looked at the farm tile to see the yields?

Previously you only ever got 1x fiber back, regardless of the quality of yield.

I had the same problem when I tried to farm them.  I actually was assuming they don't *have* an optimal band, since they're not a food crop, and are simply stifled/beached or not.  I figured they are non-renewable at this point.  If clothes don't degrade over time, and don't disappear anymore as of the latest patch, then I guess maybe there's not really a huge need for them to be renewable, either.

Morning Lifegrow:  I wasn't worrying so much about the yield per se as trying to find a way to make them renewable.  That said -- yeah, I totally missed that the yield for excellent does NOT include a seed.

So I guess brummbar7 is correct and that they are intended as non-renewable.  I can live with that, I never scoured out all the reeds anyway -- since I was expecting renewability.  Given that all the yields are the same, and seedless (as Lifegrow notes) I think it's what as brummbar7 said, they just are stifled/beached and were never intended to be renewable.

I can live with that, I just was hoping I'd missed something somewhere and didn't have to.  It just means I need to be more conservative with dressing my dupes -- or, rather, more conservative with making a suit for each dupe of a given type and using all my fiber on that.  Something more like a couple suits of each and only allowing one runner for each cold/hot biome wearing a suit and put the rest into decor.  It's definitely do-able, I'd just hoped I could have had a compactor that was basically a closet filled with enough of each to kit out all my dupes and then say "Everyone, to the Cold Biome!  Today we harvest wild sleet-wheat!  Tomorrow everyone drop that sweater and shift clothes because we're working on a hot geyser."

I mean, I wouldn't rule out renewability in the future, if clothes wear out over time.  It could come to pass eventually.  Clothes seem very much like an afterthought right now, to me.  Hopefully there will also come a better interface for using them.

Regarding renewability, if you leave enough swamp biome tiles in place, reeds tend to sprout out of them randomly. Then you can uproot the plant and get the seed. I had a reed to even sprout out of abyssalite tile so I'm not sure what conditions does it exactly follow (natural tile for sure, maybe inside of swamp biome, maybe some gas/temperature conditions?). As such I would consider them renewable as long as it is possible to keep them sprouting.

Just now, Kasuha said:

Regarding renewability, if you leave enough swamp biome tiles in place, reeds tend to sprout out of them randomly. Then you can uproot the plant and get the seed. I had a reed to even sprout out of abyssalite tile so I'm not sure what conditions does it exactly follow (natural tile for sure, maybe inside of swamp biome, maybe some gas/temperature conditions?). As such I would consider them renewable as long as it is possible to keep them sprouting.

They seem to take root anywhere, but they'll be stifled unless conditions are met - I normally dump mine at the bottom of a lake and retrieve them later :D 

Just now, Lifegrow said:

They seem to take root anywhere, but they'll be stifled unless conditions are met - I normally dump mine at the bottom of a lake and retrieve them later :D 

I don't mean planting them by dropping a seed on natural tile.

I mean they can sprout out of a natural tile that's been clean before.

Just now, Kasuha said:

I don't mean planting them by dropping a seed on natural tile.

I mean they can sprout out of a natural tile that's been clean before.

Ooooh really? I've never seen that, but that's cool if it's a thing. Could it have been buried in a tile maybe? I've excavated huge areas of asteroids with vacuum for testing before (so that I don't leave debris) and never had anything seed from nowhere? 

That is very interesting if it's true....

7 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

That is very interesting if it's true....

Well I can't claim that I'm 100% sure about it. Maybe 80%. Because I don't really care about thimble reeds but I keep noticing changes in my bases. Time to run another experiment I guess...

Hrmm, that's ... fascinting Kasuha!

I have to say that I'd be completely cool with reeds spawning naturally but not providing seeds when cultivated -- it has an actually natural feel to me, like cat-tails in a lake.  Besides, I tend to like a very tiny and tight base with my dupes playing hunter-gatherer in the wilds around me.  (just not into massive build-outs, and generally content with 5 or 6 dupes -- plus, like with DST, what I enjoy best is the early game, since I pretty much suck.)

If you do run that experiment please let us know the results.  It would be so cool if you're right!  (naturally spawning things in the wild would really psych me up, and I already love this game -- and I only started once it hit EA)

Lifegrow:  You mention dumping them at the bottom of a lake, is there a better way to do that than building a planter, planting it, and then deconstructing it?  I feel like I'm being ignorant here but that's the only way I know to get a seed onto a specific tile.

33 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

Lifegrow:  You mention dumping them at the bottom of a lake, is there a better way to do that than building a planter, planting it, and then deconstructing it?  I feel like I'm being ignorant here but that's the only way I know to get a seed onto a specific tile.

Not that I know of, that's how I normally do it ;) 

20 hours ago, absimiliard said:

Hrmm, that's ... fascinting Kasuha!

I find myself unable to even run an experiment that would confirm what I wrote here so I recommend you to consider me wrong until proven opposite. I do remember getting reed sprouting all around the base on natural tiles (and getting in the way of my building plans) in places where there was no debris left on the ground but to make sure it really spawns on tiles where there was nothing before, not even a seed embedded in the tile is too much effort for me. Sorry.

Archived