The Electrolyzer outputs the correct proportion of Hydrogen/Oxygen, and that makes me smile

So I decided to do some basic chemistry on the electrolyzer, and check up on the H2/O2 gas ratios.

The electrolyzer is described in game as follows:

• Consumes 1000 grams of water (H2O)
  • Outputs 888 grams of Oxygen
  • Outputs 112 grams of Hydrogen
    • Input (grams) = Output (grams)

To test this, we need a pinch of DATA...

• Hydrogen: 1.00794g/mole
  • Oxygen: 15.9994g/mole
    • Note: For those that hate chemistry, a "Mole" can be thought of as just a number, just like "dozen" is 12 or "couple" is 2.
    • It doesn't matter, but for the curious: 1 Mole is roughly (6.02x10^23) or 602000000000000000000000 individual ions. Lots.

As it is written, H  2  O has a 2:1 ratio of Hydrogen to Oxygen. Now lets apply some math:

• 1 Mole of water = (1.00794g x 2) + (15.9994g) = 18.01528 grams
  • The electrolyzer consumes 1000g/s   ---   lets just ignore the "seconds"
  • (1000 grams) ÷ (18.01528 grams/mole) = 55.508 Moles of H2O (we'll round off the rest)

So...

• Oxygen has a 1:1 Molar ratio with water
    • (15.9994 grams/mole) x (55.508 moles) = 888.1 grams of Oxygen
  • Hydrogen has a 2:1 Molar ratio with water
    • [(1.00794 grams/mole) x (55.508 moles)] x 2 = 111.9 grams of Hydrogen

And that's it! Making round numbers, the shift is only roughly 0.2g out of 1000, or 0.02% of a "smudge" to the data. Hardly important

I just wanted to share, as this was extremely satisfying for me

11 minutes ago, Risu said:

The actual numbers are 0.888 kg oxygen and 0.111999989 kg hydrogen.
The UI rounds units and hides the fine details.

Even better!

12 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

What a total nerdgasm :D You should share it here  :p 

Yeah shucks...

Anything but homework, amirite?

Just now, Kasuha said:

That sounds totally like FP rounding error after subtracting that 0.888 from 1

Since there is only a constant of 0.888f in here you may very well be right. Darn compilers optimizing the code!

2 hours ago, Sinra said:

So I decided to do some basic chemistry on the electrolyzer, and check up on the H2/O2 gas ratios.

You mean accurate compared to real life. I would think these numbers weren't invented and the devs used real values. Glad you figured out the maths to confirm that ^^

2 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

What a total nerdgasm :D You should share it here  :p 

No it doesn't belong in my post.

The mass might be accurate but the energy is way off. Electrolysis of 1 kg of water per second at 100% efficiency would require about 13 megawatts of power, as opposed to the 120 watts it currently uses. So only off by a factor of a million or so :p

8 hours ago, QuantumPion said:

The mass might be accurate but the energy is way off. Electrolysis of 1 kg of water per second at 100% efficiency would require about 13 megawatts of power, as opposed to the 120 watts it currently uses. So only off by a factor of a million or so :p

13 megawatts vs 120 watts is off by 10^5, ish.

Yes, but on the other hand, humans (according to NASA, on average) only need .0095 grams of oxygen per second in real life, not 100 grams per second, which is also off by 10^5, ish..  Therefore, 120 watts actually appears to be roughly correct!  Assuming 100% efficiency, of course.

Archived