Looking for H generator designs!

Looking to try out some different sleek H generator systems some of you have tried that have had marginal success.  Simple pic would be fine if you feel like explaining your thought process while making it would be enjoyable to go through and check out what others thoughts are on the subject! Looking forward to hearing back thank you for your insight in advance!

Hydrogen generator just does not cut it compared to the other two. The 800 W looks nice until you realize you have to run at least one pump and filter for it to run, making that measly 440 W . Useful to burn the hydrogen and one hamster wheel worth of energy but not for much else.

24 minutes ago, Somafied said:

Many people have been asking for this so I decided to make a video.

If you have any questions please feel free to pop into twitch.tv/somafied  and I will be happy to answer you.

Great Success

What do you have the gas valve set to that leads to the hydrogen generators? Whenever I try it the generators either waste a ton of hydrogen or don't get enough to keep running! Thanks

17 minutes ago, Vilda said:

Hydrogen generator just does not cut it compared to the other two. The 800 W looks nice until you realize you have to run at least one pump and filter for it to run, making that measly 440 W . Useful to burn the hydrogen and one hamster wheel worth of energy but not for much else.

I'm not sure if i understood you correct...  but yes, entire circuit is 1.9kw the H gen is 0.8Kw so u need extra power (1.1kw) to fully charge the batteries, Hence the hamster wheels. However having the H gen there makes the TIME TAKEN as well as the FREQUENCY required to charge less, giving my dupes time to do other things. This system will support up to 16 dupes (excluding mouth breathers) which gives you the ability to run other circuits.

I am talking about NET power gain from one generator. You have to take the power intake of things needed to run that into an account. I even forgot about the electrolysers because those you have to have anyway. You are running 2 pumps and a filter for one generator, that makes your generator net power just 200 W. Half of a one hamster wheel. Yes it runs without a duplicant but so does a coal generator and that one puts out 600 W flat. No pump or filter required.

3 hours ago, Vilda said:

I am talking about NET power gain from one generator. You have to take the power intake of things needed to run that into an account. I even forgot about the electrolysers because those you have to have anyway. You are running 2 pumps and a filter for one generator, that makes your generator net power just 200 W. Half of a one hamster wheel. Yes it runs without a duplicant but so does a coal generator and that one puts out 600 W flat. No pump or filter required.

The purpose of the setup is to provide oxygen, not to create power. The power created by the h2 generator is just a byproduct that enables the o2 production to run more efficiently. The reason for the filters and double pumps is to create gas as efficiently as possible without causing the electrolyser to have the 'max gas pressure' debuff. As I said entire circuit is 1.9kw just under the 2kw max for high gauge wires. The good thing about it is that you are not required to run it 24/7, and dupes are free to do other stuff. Please note that I'm talking about minimal input from dupes not a completely self regulating system. I'm not saying that a completely self regulating system is impossible but this is where I am at in my gameplay.

I'm not sure how u can create oxygen without using power.

I could have made my own post. but since OP is vague on what he means by H2 generator designs, the purpose of my post is my view on the best way to use to H2 generator.

Also I have not played with coal generators much as they were bugged, cause too much hear, and create too much CO2. Until I have a sustainable way to deal with the CO2 production i will probably leave it alone.

Hope this clears things up all the best.

either NET power gain from one generator or infrastructure requirement setup is irrevelant.

both Hydrogen Generator and Coal Generator continously burn its fuel inside Generator all the time (50kg Hydrogen gas , 500 kg Coal) and it power goes WASTE outside battery.

I tried gas valve limiting gas intake to 100g/s or lower the Generator itself either supply insufficient power or excessive power, never it be stable.

Thus Battery continously radiate +6.3 W of heat eventhough 1 kJ / 40kJ power being charged.

So .... Hydrogen Generator fall into alternative power source category.

20170331184730_1.jpg

alternative system concept.

1. create unlimited Gas Tank to store any Hydrogen of choice.

2. Gas Pump + Gas Filter supply Hydrogen into Gas Tank.

3. Pumping pure Hydrogen from Gas Tank to any H Generator anywhere you desire. (Bonus; Hydrogen in gas Pipes cooldown everything along its path)

4. IF H generator generate power TOO FAST for battery supply ... limit Gas Valve to slow down power pump rate.

on the long run .... I prefer Manual Generator in Oxygen room above Carbondioxide chamber with +100 or more Decoration. :D

Dupes learn both Atheltic and Tinkering running in manual generator anyway.

PS. my Gas Tank use to have 120.4 kg of Hydrogen per tile (1 air space).

11 minutes ago, Lafara said:

3. Pumping pure Hydrogen from Gas Tank to any H Generator anywhere you desire. (Bonus; Hydrogen in gas Pipes cooldown everything along its path)

I quite new at this : why is this cooling effect? hydrogen pressure decrease into the pipes?

3 minutes ago, Argelle said:

I quite new at this : why is this cooling effect? hydrogen pressure decrease into the pipes?

as in my picture. Hydrogen in Gas Tank is at 11 C. (because my Hydrogen Chamber locate near Ice Biome.)

pumping these cool Hydrogen into Granite Gas Pipe (Thermal Conductivity 3.39) grdually cool Gas Pipe into 11 C.

the existence of cool Gas Pipe at 11 C gradually cool surrounding air space from 30 C into 19 C.

these chain effect from Gas -> Pipe -> Air/Tile is the cooling effect.

same goes to Liquid -> Pipe -> Air/Tile

it doesn't matter low/high Celcius temperature Hydrogen .... once it goes into H Generator .... it turn to Energy Power and +20 W heat equally.

51 minutes ago, Somafied said:

The purpose of the setup is to provide oxygen, not to create power.

Ehm.. should have state that first. Especially in a topic about setting up hydrogen generator to be useful.

7 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Thanks Lafara for the explaination!

So running anything cold into a pipe through a warmer room will cool the space around said pipe (that's simpler than the PV=nRT I remember) :)

yes, anything.

you can bypass filters with a high narrow room and a thermo switch, or set for cold, or manually change condition to start when top of room full, or have this setup with a hydrogen tank

2kw per sec in a cycle means 15 batteries

a duplicant in hamster wheel can fill around 4 daily if not wandering too much so a generator with valve can fill around 8 batteries

9 hours ago, Lafara said:

both Hydrogen Generator and Coal Generator continously burn its fuel inside Generator all the time (50kg Hydrogen gas , 500 kg Coal) and it power goes WASTE outside battery.

This is a glarring bug that they've yet to fix.  This bug came in early during the thermal update before it went live.

7 hours ago, ShamPeiN said:

you can bypass filters with a high narrow room and a thermo switch, or set for cold, or manually change condition to start when top of room full, or have this setup with a hydrogen tank

This doesn't work very well.  The thermometer can't distinguish elements.  What we need is an element sensor to control circuits.

13 hours ago, Vilda said:

Has anyone tried just piping the gas directly into the hydrogen generator?  Patch note stated that elements not compatible with the generator will simply be dumped into the world.  If this works, it will negate the need for a filter.  There may still be issues with the H2 though since one H-generator only consumes 100g/s, which is a little shy of what one electrolyzer can produce.

@Fatmice

pumping Oxygen,Polluted Oxygen,CarbonDioxide will damage H Generator. 5~10% per gas unit (either value). Bad Idea.

@ShamPeiN

H Generator has its own gas tank inside. IF you set gas valve flow control < 100 g/s,H Generator will be Active/Inactive back and forth.

.... umm .... It's slow energy production AFTER its own gas tank is below 0.1kg / 50.0kg

1 hour ago, Lafara said:

pumping Oxygen,Polluted Oxygen,CarbonDioxide will damage H Generator. 5~10% per gas unit (either value). Bad Idea.

Yes, that is well known early in thermal update, but what of this?

On 3/27/2017 at 1:41 PM, Cheerio said:

Pumping an incorrect element into a building will now either dump that element on the floor or pump it through instead of destroying the mass

This is a new behavior that I've not tested yet.  Are you aware of it?  That is why I asked.

2 hours ago, ShamPeiN said:

but the switch condition turns it off, without dupe interaction. i dont mind 12 gramms from 112

still dumping it would slow energy production?

I don't know.  Using the thermometer requires temperature change provided by a liquid loop.  At best, this toggles the pump but doesn't know what the pump is pumping.  There is a gas trap that works well that I've used in the past and is presented here.  The issue is sometimes upon game load, some oxygen gas might quantum leap across the divide...it is rare though.

painfully aware of it. pumping Carbondioxide into H Generator will drop that lump of carbondioxide Gas onto floor, either in Gas form or Bottle form. Also damaging H generator until it's broken. even beyond broken.

same goes to Refrigerator room. Once -240 C hydrogen gas goes into Thermal Regulator.

BOOM !!! deadly cold Hydrogen everywhere. (and Thermal Regulator ruin in piece).

10 hours ago, Fatmice said:

Has anyone tried just piping the gas directly into the hydrogen generator?  Patch note stated that elements not compatible with the generator will simply be dumped into the world.  If this works, it will negate the need for a filter.  There may still be issues with the H2 though since one H-generator only consumes 100g/s, which is a little shy of what one electrolyzer can produce.

That means the gas that did the damage is not destroyed in the process. You could still clear gasses at the cost of machinery if not.

And yes tried that after update

2 hours ago, ShamPeiN said:

i mean the trick off changing switch condition like higher/lower than a big number like 300, so turns on/off with that, same trick can overheat tepidizer without being in water

That made no sense. :)

Made some sense to me.

When you switch tepidizer on it heats up then checks for submersion.

You can therefore use the 'manual' switch to turn it off and on repeatedly in quick succession to get stupid high temps.

Archived