How to deal with late game Depth Worm waves?

So, my friends and I have been playing for awhile but never actually made it down to the caves. We're a little over 100 days in. We're ready to move down into the Caves and Ruins, but Depth Worms keep wrecking us. There's simply too many of them for the 3 of us to fight effectively. We had SOME luck in fighting them near Bunny Hutches, but if they attack us when we're outside of range to run back to a bunny village we just get destroyed. They collectively have too much health and damage. We were managing hounds on the surface with a combination of spider nests and tooth trap fields, but those options don't really work for worms :/

Anyone have any advice?

Just now, jantonio said:

An easy way to deal with depth peepers is to make a panic room with the new fence and gate. Depth perms cant attack walls and cant go through them.

so get making a panic room too kill the depth curves. ;>

I like the idea, but that doesn't help if we're too far from the panic room. We probably have enough Hound's Teeth to make the required blowdarts to make this work, just need to farm Azure Feathers for like the next 6 years >_>

Depth worms, unlike hounds, will not travel that far from where they spawn. When you hear the roaring, go off to some trash area where you don't ever go or plan to go and hang out til they spawn. Once you've run around a bit there, you can leave and they won't follow you very far. When you need meat or light berries, you can try to kite out a smaller  and more manageable number at a time.

Or make worms work for you:

Like hounds, depth worms will eventually aggro on other mobs if you don't hit them or let them chomp you. Use them to kill slurtles/snurtles, by running to a patch of nests when you hear the roaring. When the worms appear, hit each nest once. Keep moving, as now the snails will be chasing you too. Eventually, however, the worms will attack the snails and you may get some armor out of it.

In the ruins, you can get tons of food, fuel and nightmare fuel by leading worms into a monkey area and running around until they attack the monkeys. Monkeys are particularly good for this because when a worm goes dormant, monkeys will try to pick the light berry, causing the worms to aggro on them. Nearby monkeys will join the fight.

Another mob that will quickly kill worms for you are rock lobsters, but they tend to be in a limited area. However, if you hear the roaring and know lobsters are nearby, that's the quickest method. It's even fast if you give some lobsters a mineral then hit the worm(s) once.

In each of these cases, even if all the worms don't aggro on other mobs, usually enough will to leave you with a smaller number to fight yourself.

7 hours ago, boltthundara said:

So, my friends and I have been playing for awhile but never actually made it down to the caves. We're a little over 100 days in. We're ready to move down into the Caves and Ruins, but Depth Worms keep wrecking us. There's simply too many of them for the 3 of us to fight effectively. We had SOME luck in fighting them near Bunny Hutches, but if they attack us when we're outside of range to run back to a bunny village we just get destroyed. They collectively have too much health and damage. We were managing hounds on the surface with a combination of spider nests and tooth trap fields, but those options don't really work for worms :/

Anyone have any advice?

Once you learn kiting, the game become 10 times easier. Depth worms, like most of the mobs, can be easily kited; the more of them there are the harder to do it. If they swarm you, let's say 7 worms, you and your friend should each aggro few of them, so one person deals with 2-3 worms instead of 7. Avoid attack and make them chase you, then try to make them synchronize attack. Once they are in sync you can easily kite all 3 of them at the same time. I know it's easier said than done, especially for newcomers, but watching some videos or streams should help. 

Late game option includes wickerbottom's Tentacle panic room and telelocator staff 

There are at least 5 ways to deal with depths worms, depending on their number.

Method 1: Kite

One depths worm is easy to kite as long as you learn it's attack pattern. With two the things get slightly complicated as would have to make them sync the attacks so both would do their attack pattern at once and pick them one by one. You could try with 3 but things get a bit complicated and harder.

Method 2: A friend in need is a friend indeed

1. Run to a rabbits set piece without any meat on you and let them take care of the depths worms as they attack all monsters on sight.

2. Befriend 1-2 rock lobsters and attack a worm.

3. Chop a evergreen forest until you get a tall tree guard. Plant cones to pacify him and once the worms come either hide in a bush hat (cheaper) or snurtle shell (costly) close to him OR run around the tree guard until one of the worms attacks him instead. Rinse and repeat.

4. You could also make a rock lobsters pen and hide in a bush hat or snurtle shell and let the lobsters take care of worms for you.

Method 4: RUN FORREST!!! RUN!!

You could wait for them to spawn and pile up after you and run in a straight line far from them until they loose interest and decide to hide in the ground with their lure outside. Once they done this you can attempt to pick the lure and as soon one jumps out to chew your butt pull him away and then take it out one by one by kiting.

Method 5: Can't touch this!

Make a 5x5 or slightly bigger pen from wood fence with a wood gate to get in. Let the worms pile by the fence and kite them one by one.

PS: Not sure if monsters attacking wood fences is a intended "feature" or it's a bug that would be fixed soon, so I would recommend learning to kite 2-3 and later on use the rabbits or a tree guard to take 1-2 of them off your back.

Edit: @Parusoid according to the wiki the max amount of worms is 5 on a default world settings is from day 100+ server. From experience the most i saw was like 4 after each player. Like with hounds I guess it helps if players are grouped and get less than if each individual is separated. Not sure 100% on this so would appreciate if someone confirms of denies this.

Some side note: if you're in trouble with splu monkeys or shadow splu monkeys in particular, go find a clockwork rook and it'll pound them all in bunches! I had like 12 following me, which was way too much to handle with just a bee queen crown as armour on me, but stumbling upon a rook while my charge was out was a godsend! Never kill rooks that are not near Ancient Pseudo Stations, my friends :D

1 hour ago, cezarica said:

@Electroely That information can't be false, at best can be incorrect. :p Anyway, you where alone at the time you got them? I've seen more than 4-5 as well, but I wasn't alone and had a player close by thus got his as well i guess.

I live alone in a guano turf branch of the ruins. It's been over 2 ingame years since I killed the last of the depth worms around my area.

Archived